Good overview of new FL laws

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
tector
Life Member
Life Member

Good overview of new FL laws

Post by tector » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:25 am

SE FL gunshow calendar: https://goo.gl/GNyvTP

It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.-Swift

Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Learned Hand

Lilwoody
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Good overview of new FL laws

Post by Lilwoody » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:15 pm

The "protection order" portion of this law puts a huge target on any gun owners back. ANYONE can seek to install one of these orders on ANYONE. You will have no idea if one is being pursued against you. You will have no recourse after one has been implemented other than turn in your guns and ammunition or find someone the court deems responsible enough to hold them for you. If you turn them into the police there are zero guarantees they will be maintained and very vague on how you can get them back. You will have to wait at least 14 days to get a SINGLE hearing (THAT'S IT, ONE HEARING, FOR THE LIFE OF THE ORDER) where you can prove you are innocent, of the anonymous charges, on your own dime and if you can't afford a attorney good luck. You may never know who laid the charges. If you do find out and prove you are not a threat, your accuser will not be civilly or criminally liable for their false allegations.
This portion is the absolute worst part of this law. It is a progressives wet revenge dream, a ex lovers ultimate pay back, a rival business's fantasy, a vengeful coworkers foot up the ladder and simply appalling piece of scrabbled together hooey.

George W
Life Member
Life Member

Post by George W » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:26 pm

Lilwoody wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:15 pm
The "protection order" portion of this law puts a huge target on any gun owners back. ANYONE can seek to install one of these orders on ANYONE. You will have no idea if one is being pursued against you. You will have no recourse after one has been implemented other than turn in your guns and ammunition or find someone the court deems responsible enough to hold them for you. If you turn them into the police there are zero guarantees they will be maintained and very vague on how you can get them back. You will have to wait at least 14 days to get a SINGLE hearing (THAT'S IT, ONE HEARING, FOR THE LIFE OF THE ORDER) where you can prove you are innocent, of the anonymous charges, on your own dime and if you can't afford a attorney good luck. You may never know who laid the charges. If you do find out and prove you are not a threat, your accuser will not be civilly or criminally liable for their false allegations.
This portion is the absolute worst part of this law. It is a progressives wet revenge dream, a ex lovers ultimate pay back, a rival business's fantasy, a vengeful coworkers foot up the ladder and simply appalling piece of scrabbled together hooey.
Quite honestly, this isn't much of a change from what we have had (at least locally) in practice when it comes to seizure of property. My Ex-wife, after we hadn't been in the same home together for 12 years filed an injunction against me. We were in the middle of a custody disagreement. HCSO showed up at my house and served me. They asked if I had guns. I was honest as I had an FFL at the time. About 10 minutes later, I had 4 additional units at my house carrying out everything I owned. I was mortified. Two weeks later, I had a hearing where the injunction was dismissed. I asked the judge about my property. She told me that I had to sue the HCSO to get my guns and ammo back. So, I had to hire an attorney to petition the court. Six weeks later, I get a hearing, and my guns are ordered to be returned. I had to wait another week for the Sheriff's office to conduct a background check before I got my dented up, scraped, and generally beat to s';t guns back. Thousands of rounds of ammo weren't returned.

I can see this as a huge problem going forward as now anyone can get your guns seized. All told, it cost me me about $5k in lost time, my ammo, and attorney fees.
Half of my resolutions to problems come with a cold sweat somewhere around 2 am.

lakelandman
Contributor
Contributor

Post by lakelandman » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:02 am

For me this just other reason to leave Florida I have had with all the BS here when it comes to guns and this latest shooting just adds more BS and all because Sheriff's Department and the FBI didn't do their job. :ham'r
"Poor planning on your part does not necessitate an emergency on mine"

Lilwoody
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Lilwoody » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:29 pm

lakelandman wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:02 am
For me this just other reason to leave Florida I have had with all the BS here when it comes to guns and this latest shooting just adds more BS and all because Sheriff's Department and the FBI didn't do their job. :ham'r
This exactly. Everyone wants to blame gun owners for this, no one wants to blame the LEO agencies who failed miserably. Now they want citizens to do law enforcements job for them and want to put their sole trust in the same agencies who failed to act. Our country is chock full of idiots isn't it.

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:09 pm

dont get upset next year when people on forums are telling Florida resident just move out of that commie state if you don't like it, just like people are telling folks in California now
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

molivo
Life Member
Life Member

Post by molivo » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:48 am

Pretty much every aspect of this law is going to be tried in court at some point. It's such a poorly written hastily rushed through piece of crap lawsuits are inevitable.
Altar Arms - 01 FFL , NFA/SOT Dealer(772)497-6550
20$ Transfers for FSN members for Title 1 Firearms, 75$ Title 2!
Located in Fort Pierce, FL

I BUY PREBAN AR15'S! PM ME!

See us on Gunbroker.com! AltarArms
http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx?In ... rs=2086140

#1Glock30
Life Member
Life Member

Post by #1Glock30 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:52 pm

molivo wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:48 am
Pretty much every aspect of this law is going to be tried in court at some point. It's such a poorly written hastily rushed through piece of crap lawsuits are inevitable.
And waste millions of taxpayer dollars on unconstitutional crap!
SHTF Ready