Bumpstocks and “Rate increasing devices” ban

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Jonathanw
Contributor
Contributor

Bumpstocks and “Rate increasing devices” ban

Post by Jonathanw » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:33 pm

Well all of us are now going to be felons when this law is implemented /:f

Under the new law, Almost any accessory on ur gun can make you shoot faster such as lightweight trigger, muzzle break, suppressor, lightweight Carrier group, elastic bands, belt loops, pistol grip, large magazines, even basic semi automatic function can make your rifle have an “increased rate of fire” compared to a straight pull rifle. Any of those items could be considered a rate increasing device which could make you a potential felon...

Thank our local GOP party for f-cking us over. I’ll be getting my citizenship ASAP to directly help vote out the wankers responsible for this trash :ham'r

n0rlf

Re: Bumpstocks and “Rate increasing devices” ban

Post by n0rlf » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:20 pm

Pretty sure it has to be signed before implementation. Hopefully it does not get signed.
Remember:
2 truths in life
It is easier to seek forgiveness than permission!
Always drink upstream from the herd!

neverenoughguns
Contributor
Contributor

Post by neverenoughguns » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:54 pm

Jonathanw wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:33 pm
Well all of us are now going to be felons when this law is implemented /:f

Under the new law, Almost any accessory on ur gun can make you shoot faster such as lightweight trigger, muzzle break, suppressor, lightweight Carrier group, elastic bands, belt loops, pistol grip, large magazines, even basic semi automatic function can make your rifle have an “increased rate of fire” compared to a straight pull rifle. Any of those items could be considered a rate increasing device which could make you a potential felon...

Thank our local GOP party for f-cking us over. I’ll be getting my citizenship ASAP to directly help vote out the wankers responsible for this trash :ham'r
Don’t get me wrong, I am ticked off about the legislation but I think you may be reading into it a bit more than what is really there..... guess time will tell.

Odessaman
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Odessaman » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:25 pm

Here's the problem - the language is so vague and undefined that it's impossible for US to determine what violates the law (and turns us into felons) and that vagueness ALSO gives the State the ability to apply it to anything they want to demonize.

Here's the actual language that's problematic:
a conversion kit, a tool, an accessory, or a device used to alter the rate of fire of a firearm to mimic automatic weapon fire or which is used to increase the rate of fire to a faster rate than is possible for a person to fire such semiautomatic firearm unassisted by a kit, a tool, an accessory, or a device
Now, can anyone tell me what that means? If you can, I'll bet I can come up with a totally different interpretation that makes just as much sense.
For example, what is "rate of fire?" Is it measured by the split time between two successive rounds, or does it take three or more rounds to determine "rate?"

What is considered "mimicing" automatic weapon fire? Are we talking a Colt potato digger or an MG42? I can "mimic" the sound of the former with a stock 10-22, but I sure can't imitate an MG-42's cyclic rate.

Who is this "person" they reference? Should it be "THE person," if we're talking about the person firing the actual weapon in question, or can they use any person as their benchmark for rate of fire, say . . . the prosecutor's 91 year old, blind, arthritic grandmother? That's "a person," isn't it? Why do they say "conversion kit" in the first part, but only "kit" in the latter? A conversion kit arguably changes something - it converts it. An ordinary "kit," on the other hand, can be a replacement part that has the same specs as the factory part - it doesn't convert anything. So are Wolff springs a "conversion kit?" Or are they just a "kit?"

See where the problem lies? Like Humpty Dumpty said: "When I use a word, it means what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
Last edited by Odessaman on Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~ Odessaman ~

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
― Mark Twain

CVO
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CVO » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:30 pm

Sounds like a huge cluster Fuk to me.
Stop the looting. Start the prosecuting.

P5 guy
Life Member
Life Member

Post by P5 guy » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:47 am

I AM THE GUN LOBBY AND I VOTE!

flcracker
Life Member
Life Member

Post by flcracker » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:05 am

Makes me wonder if my Dad's old Winchester Model 12 shotgun is illegal already....

Pull the trigger, hold it down, operate the slide, fire every shell in the tube with one pull of the trigger..... _:

Is slam-firing a shotgun a forbidden increase in the rate of fire? :-k
and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!

Villafuego

Post by Villafuego » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:55 am

My concern is that there is no exemption for "conversion devices" that are currently registered as NFA items.....

HK sears ?
DIAS's ?
Lightning links ?
etc, etc....

Taco
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Taco » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:02 am

The last version of the bill I read had 10/1 for the date felonies begin...

I have some stuff that I know I need to sell.
I have some stuff that I know I don't need to sell.

I have some pesky stuff in between. I want to be compliant, but if the items are legal I'd prefer to keep them. As it is now, I don't even know who to ask. And I really don't want to be burning my retirement fund in front of a jury of my peers (somehow my peers are non-gun owners) trying to explain the intricacies of trigger design and function.
Col. Hans Landa: I love rumors! Facts can be so misleading, but rumors, true or false, are often revealing.

CVO
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CVO » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:15 am

No devices to increase my trigger speed, but I can buy a car that goes 200 MPH.
Stop the looting. Start the prosecuting.

dieselbeef
Life Member
Life Member

Post by dieselbeef » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:15 am

Why would anyone get caught? How will anyone know unless you are showboating yer s';t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
im the other gary...

"The right and the decision to carry a weapon for your own defense is a horrible blessing".

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein

Taco
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Taco » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:59 pm

When in doubt, ask the boss:

Jon Gutmacher
gutlaw@gmail.com
Chris: Unfortunately, you'll have to wait until the end of the session so I can read the bill in its final version with some time to think about it. No matter what -- you should be grandfathered in. It would only be future purchases, and also if you transferred or sold a "bump stock" -- whatever the heck that may finally mean. So, don't panic. You'll be legal on what you have.

I'll have an update on the session on my blog probably by May 1, and then follow it on the website.

Thanks for your support of the book.

regards,
jon
Col. Hans Landa: I love rumors! Facts can be so misleading, but rumors, true or false, are often revealing.

flcracker
Life Member
Life Member

Post by flcracker » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:10 pm

I could not find any reference to or providing for grandfathering in the text of the bill that was sent to the Governor.
and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!

Jonathanw
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jonathanw » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:16 pm

Trump congratulated Florida for passing these new laws :---)

Anyone still think it is 4D chess. Trump will definitely lose Florida in 2020. Bloody traitor

Taco
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Taco » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:19 pm

flcracker wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:10 pm
I could not find any reference to or providing for grandfathering in the text of the bill that was sent to the Governor.
I didn't either, it bans possession. Perhaps it is in conflict with other property law that he is more familiar with than I am.

My takeaway was he hasn't really read it yet. So for now, don't panic, and look forward to the boss weighing in May 1st.

g.willikers
Life Member
Life Member

Post by g.willikers » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:42 pm

Here's hoping the idgit politicians don't watch any old "Rifleman" episodes or they might include lever action rifles.
Remember the warnings about what the banners consider acceptable for us untrustworthy citizens to be allowed to have - none.
That's their goal and always has been.
Complete disarmament of the citizenry, intellectually and physically, if we accept it.
"Don't take life so serious, son, it ain't nohow permanent."