HOORAY! Year Round Daylight Savings Time!

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
tector
Life Member
Life Member

Re: HOORAY! Year Round Daylight Savings Time!

Post by tector » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:46 am

jjk308 wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:57 am
Jeepsnguns wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:10 pm
I would love for Florida to make this so.
DST or not doesn't really matter to me, just effing pick ONE and leave it there!!!
Moving the time back & forth twice a year is stupidity. :ham'r
+ many I don't care if its DST, EST, UTC or GMT, Just PLEASE don't make us change the clocks twice a year!
Well, just one problem with choosing DST is that it means for 5 months out of the year, Florida would be out of sync with EVERY other state in the nation. Which, among other reasons, is why Congress is never going to authorize this obvious idiocy.
SE FL gunshow calendar: https://goo.gl/GNyvTP

It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.-Swift

Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Learned Hand

Dr. Dickie
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Dr. Dickie » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:38 pm

tector wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:46 am
jjk308 wrote:
Jeepsnguns wrote:
DST or not doesn't really matter to me, just effing pick ONE and leave it there!!!
+ many I don't care if its DST, EST, UTC or GMT, Just PLEASE don't make us change the clocks twice a year!
Well, just one problem with choosing DST is that it means for 5 months out of the year, Florida would be out of sync with EVERY other state in the nation. Which, among other reasons, is why Congress is never going to authorize this obvious idiocy.
No Arizona does not change time, and it doesn't seem to affect them.
Repeal the 17th Amendment, let’s put America back to the Republic the founding fathers intended!

N4KVE
Life Member
Life Member

Post by N4KVE » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:06 pm

Dr. Dickie wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:38 pm

Big difference. Arizona is on regular time 12 months a year, and always shares time zones with other states all year long. They don't have DST there. No other state is on DST year round, & we would be the only state in the USA on this time zone 6 months a year. Also we would celebrate New Years before anyone else in the USA. Plus TV times would be all screwed up. A 10 pm Show would be shown at 11 pm, but the news is shown at 11. This will not happen. GARY

tector
Life Member
Life Member

Post by tector » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:58 pm

Dr. Dickie wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:38 pm
tector wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:46 am
jjk308 wrote:
Jeepsnguns wrote:
What Gary said. AZ (always on standard time) splits the year sharing the time being observed in the Pacific and Mountain time zones. It is never out on its own.

Hawaii also only observes standard time, but by its very nature it has to be out on its own regardless--it is not the result of a moronic legislature.

It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.-Swift

Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Learned Hand

flcracker
Life Member
Life Member

Post by flcracker » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:29 pm

By definition, anything that is not Standard Time, is not standard time. What's up with the desire to be non-standard? :-k
and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!

tector
Life Member
Life Member

Post by tector » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:32 pm

The same idiotic legislature that just gave us a package of gun laws passed this s';t with even less thought and reflection. Have you read the bill? It reads like something a 5th grade civics class might draft.

tector
Life Member
Life Member

Post by tector » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:40 pm

8 WHEREAS, the State of Florida is known as the "Sunshine
9 State," and
10 WHEREAS, as the "Sunshine State," Florida should be kept
11 sunny year-round, NOW, THEREFORE,
13 Be It Enacted by the Legislature of the State of Florida:
15 Section 1. (1) This section may be cited as the "Sunshine
16 Protection Act."
17 (2) If the United States Congress amends 15 U.S.C. s. 260a
18 to authorize states to observe daylight saving time year-round,
19 it is the intent of the Legislature that daylight saving time
20 shall be the year-round standard time of the entire state and
21 all of its political subdivisions.
22 Section 2. This act shall take effect July 1, 2018

dammitgriff

Post by dammitgriff » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:18 am

UTC/GMT - 5

And leave it there!

jjk308
Life Member
Life Member

Post by jjk308 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:03 pm

N4KVE wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:06 pm
Big difference. Arizona is on regular time 12 months a year, and always shares time zones with other states all year long. They don't have DST there. No other state is on DST year round, & we would be the only state in the USA on this time zone 6 months a year. Also we would celebrate New Years before anyone else in the USA. Plus TV times would be all screwed up. A 10 pm Show would be shown at 11 pm, but the news is shown at 11. This will not happen. GARY
FYI very few TV shows are live, except for sporting events. And you can always use a DVR, On Demand or streaming video. Times are already screwed up thanks to the time zones, Gary, so DST wouldn't make a difference except we wouldn't have to change the @#$% clocks twice a year!

As for energy the time change wastes energy and causes accidents.
I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a sestertius in any one day.

Dr. Dickie
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Dr. Dickie » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:54 pm

There is (or was last I looked) some island off of Nova Scotia that was a half hour out of sync with everyone else.
They haven't spontaneous exploded or anything. I think changing the time back and forth is stupid, pick a time and stick to it--the whole country should do that.
For what it's worth, depending on where you are in the time zone make essentially an hour difference. I went to visit my brother once in Cincinnati and it was staying light out to like 9PM. Was very weird.
Repeal the 17th Amendment, let’s put America back to the Republic the founding fathers intended!

tector
Life Member
Life Member

Post by tector » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:58 pm

You don't know what you are talking about.

As but one small example, NBC Universal (Sunday Night Football) and ABC-ESPN (Monday Night Football) pay jillions for those rights. They (and their advertisers) do not want games that start at 9:30 for almost all of the third most populous state in the nation. So their lobbyists in Congress will oppose. And so on.

Back to sleep, Rip Van Clueless.

tector
Life Member
Life Member

Post by tector » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:00 pm

Dr. Dickie wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:54 pm
There is (or was last I looked) some island off of Nova Scotia that was a half hour out of sync with everyone else.
They haven't spontaneous exploded or anything. I think changing the time back and forth is stupid, pick a time and stick to it--the whole country should do that.
For what it's worth, depending on where you are in the time zone make essentially an hour difference. I went to visit my brother once in Cincinnati and it was staying light out to like 9PM. Was very weird.
Are there like 12 people there?

People are being willfully dumb here.

tector
Life Member
Life Member

Post by tector » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:24 pm

Here are the places we'd be sharing time with for 5 months out of the year:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_Time_Zone#Areas_covered

Thule, lol!

Dr. Dickie
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Dr. Dickie » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:28 pm

tector wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:24 pm

Thule, lol!
Does your job require you to share time with a lot of other people (serious question)? For me, it doesn't really matter what time they say it is compared to what folks in other states say it is.
I am neither in favor of this or against it. I do wish they would just choose a time and stick to it, I think changing the time back and forth is stupid.

tector
Life Member
Life Member

Post by tector » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:34 pm

Dr. Dickie wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:28 pm
tector wrote:

Thule, lol!
Does your job require you to share time with a lot of other people (serious question)? For me, it doesn't really matter what time they say it is compared to what folks in other states say it is.
Yes, it does.

If the entire US went to year around DST you don't create a de facto 5th time zone for the continental US. But it is terrible most places. It was used during WW1, WW2 and during the 70s "energy crisis"--repealed each time. So I do not forsee it, or a 5th continental US time zone. Business interests just will not allow the latter. So Florida is jerking off.

Dr. Dickie
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Dr. Dickie » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:39 pm

tector wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:34 pm
Dr. Dickie wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:28 pm
tector wrote:

Thule, lol!
Yes, it does.

If the entire US went to year around DST you don't create a de facto 5th time zone for the continental US. But it is terrible most places. It was used during WW1, WW2 and during the 70s "energy crisis"--repealed each time. So I do not forsee it, or a 5th continental US time zone. Business interests just will not allow the latter. So Florida is jerking off.
Fair enough.
As I said, it doesn't matter to me one way or the other. I would like to see the whole damn country quit this stupid back and forth nonsense.
As you say, I doubt that Congress will let it go through.
Wish they would do the same for the stupid 21 to own a rifle and bump stock law. And I don't have a bump stock, and I highly doubt I ever will, and I passed 21 three times so far.

tector
Life Member
Life Member

Post by tector » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:47 pm

There are good arguments for year around standard time, but that will go nowhere, either, I think. So we are stuck with this.

Dr. Dickie
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Dr. Dickie » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:12 am

Dr. Dickie
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Dr. Dickie » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:16 am

tector wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:00 pm
Dr. Dickie wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:54 pm
Are there like 12 people there?

People are being willfully dumb here.
If there were only 12 people on the island, why would it have it's own time zone listed in the front of the phone book? If a majority of the 12 didn't like it, they would just not change their clocks!
No, it was a bit larger than that.
But the number of people is irrelevant, it is just a mark on the clock, it does not actually change when the sun rises and sets.

dammitgriff

Post by dammitgriff » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:19 am

tector wrote:There are good arguments for year around standard time, but that will go nowhere, either, I think. So we are stuck with this.
We will be stuck with this DST BS because people who don’t like it are too lazy or otherwise unmotivated to contact their state and federal representatives to demand an end to it.
If only we were as rude to our representatives in government as we are to other members of this forum, we might get somewhere, ya reckon? 🤨