Nashville mayor admits to affair

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
lakelandman
Contributor
Contributor

Nashville mayor admits to affair

Post by lakelandman » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:51 pm

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pos ... 62d40c346e

Megan Barry resigned as Nashville’s mayor Tuesday morning, weeks after admitting an affair with the police officer who ran her security detail.

Barry announced her resignation at a news conference, shortly after she pleaded guilty to a felony theft charge related to the affair, the Tennessean reported.

She kept her remarks brief and smiled throughout the announcement.

About US newsletter

Candid conversations about identity in 21st-century America

“It has been my honor and it has been the privilege of my entire professional life to have had the blessing and the opportunity to be your mayor,” Barry said. “God bless this wonderful city. I love you, Nashville.”

She did not answer shouted questions on her way out of the news conference, including whether her resignation had been part of a plea deal. The Associated Press reported that it was.

The 54-year-old Democrat, who was elected mayor of Tennessee’s bustling capital in 2015, disclosed the affair to the media in late January.

“Today I acknowledged publicly that I have engaged in an extramarital affair with the former head of my security detail,” Barry said in a Jan. 31 statement. “I accept full responsibility for the pain I have caused my family and his. I am so sorry to my husband Bruce, who has stood by me in my darkest moments and remains committed to our marriage, just as I am committed to repairing the damage I have done.”

The Tennessean identified the officer as Sgt. Robert Forrest Jr. of Metropolitan Nashville Police Department. Their affair began in mid-2016, the newspaper reported, but Barry said it ended before her public admission. Forrest has resigned from the department.

In the weeks since, Barry had faced growing calls to resign and became the subject of multiple investigations, including a criminal inquiry by the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation, the Tennessean reported.

On Tuesday, she pleaded guilty to theft of property over $10,000; Barry agreed to reimburse the city $11,000 and serve three years’ probation, according to the newspaper.

[ Seattle Mayor Ed Murray resigns after fifth claim of sexual abuse ]

Vice Mayor David Briley becomes Nashville’s acting mayor. Barry wished him and others well as she resigned.

“I sincerely hope and believe that my own actions will not tarnish or otherwise detract from all of the great work that they do,” she said.

Barry has been considered a rising political star, and the disclosure comes at a fraught time for her.

A contentious $5.4 billion mass-transit project she has backed is up for voter approval in May. Last year, her 22-year-old son Max died of a drug overdose; Forrest was the officer who broke the news to Barry, according to the Tennessean.

The affair has also drawn scrutiny to the overtime the officer accrued while managing her detail. According to the newspaper, Forrest accompanied Barry on trips to Paris, Athens, Washington, New York, Denver, Oakland and other cities in the past year.

Forrest racked up around $33,000 in expenses for the trips and more than $50,000 in overtime in 2017 on top of an $84,500 salary, the Tennessean reported. Barry traveled alone with Forrest on nine of the trips, including one to Greece in September, according to the newspaper.

“I deeply regret that my professional relationship with Mayor Barry turned into a personal one,” Forrest said in a statement provided by lawyer David Raybin. “This has caused great pain for my wife, my family, friends and colleagues. At no time did I ever violate my oath as a police officer or engage in actions that would abuse the public trust.”

In January, Barry said she and Forrest are no longer seeing each other.

I find it crazy how easy they get off. :ham'r :ham'r :ham'r :ham'r
"Poor planning on your part does not necessitate an emergency on mine"

tector
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Nashville mayor admits to affair

Post by tector » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:52 pm

We all know guys who did stupid s';t for pussy (hello, mirror). Works the same in the other direction I guess.
SE FL gunshow calendar: https://goo.gl/GNyvTP

It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.-Swift

Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Learned Hand

N4KVE
Life Member
Life Member

Post by N4KVE » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:01 pm

Takes two to tango. GARY.

n0rlf

Post by n0rlf » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:45 pm

She resigned this morning! Another one bites the dust
Remember:
2 truths in life
It is easier to seek forgiveness than permission!
Always drink upstream from the herd!

zeebaron
Life Member
Life Member

Post by zeebaron » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:10 pm

And another criminal will take her place. Nothing changes.

870Mike
Life Member
Life Member

Post by 870Mike » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:23 pm

lakelandman wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:51 pm
I find it crazy how easy they get off.
Not sure I'd want to see that in the morning without make-up... [smilie=eek.gif]

"Send lawyers & money...have enough guns." - 870Mike

pokeeejoe
Life Member
Life Member

Post by pokeeejoe » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:51 pm

so... as a first offender, she's now a convicted felon being allowed to reimburse the city and be on probation instead of jail time. Sounds good to me, what's the big deal?

regards,
Joe

Water Rat
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Water Rat » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:25 am

zeebaron wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:10 pm
When they erect a statue of convicted criminal marion barry in washington, up is down and down is up.

Your 100%, nothing changes. That mayor in Oakland who warned of the ice raids should be sitting in a prison cell if sessions had any character.

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:34 am

870Mike wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:23 pm

Not sure I'd want to see that in the morning without make-up... [smilie=eek.gif]
did you see the movie CHIP's ....Ponch says how are you judging them by their hair or the straightness of their teeth ?? your too superficial Bro [smilie=011.gif]
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

870Mike
Life Member
Life Member

Post by 870Mike » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:55 am

Rentprop1 wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:34 am
your too superficial Bro [smilie=011.gif]
Yep. I can size up a woman in seconds. Are her "T's" in proportion to her "A"? Does she have granny or man hands? Are her teeth jacked up? Purse/shoes of quality or Payless? Who is she hanging with? Pics of her ex?

"F" with Match.com...I've got it down to a science.

[smilie=011.gif]

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:58 am

think I'd rather have a freak in the sheets versus a "10" in the streets,but thats just me
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

870Mike
Life Member
Life Member

Post by 870Mike » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:59 am

Depends what I'm looking for at the moment. "Hit it and Quit it"? Standards definitely lower...

Met two eager, yet chubby (but sexy) twins in NM. Would I be seen with them on Palm Beach? Nope.

What happens in Ruidoso New Mexico stays in Ruidoso New Mexico! [smilie=011.gif]

zeebaron
Life Member
Life Member

Post by zeebaron » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:02 am

Water Rat wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:25 am
zeebaron wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:10 pm
When they erect a statue of convicted criminal marion barry in washington, up is down and down is up.

Your 100%, nothing changes. That mayor in Oakland who warned of the ice raids should be sitting in a prison cell if sessions had any character.
The job attracts a certain kind of personality: with rare exceptions, only the best liars win.

Joel
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Joel » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:20 pm

tector wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:52 pm
We all know guys who did stupid s';t for pussy (hello, mirror). Works the same in the other direction I guess.
+1