Dick’s and Walmart getting sued over 21 only gun policy.

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Cloaked Dagger
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cloaked Dagger » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:09 am

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/am ... un-n853876

Looks like bake the cake is now sell the gun.
PORTLAND, Ore. — An Oregon man filed suits Monday claiming Dick's Sporting Goods and Walmart discriminated against the 20-year-old when they refused to sell him a rifle.

Dick's and Walmart restricted gun sales to adults 21 and older in the wake of the Florida high school massacre. The 19-year-old accused in the school slaying bought the AR-15 used in the attack legally.

Oregon law allows residents to buy shotguns or rifles starting at age 18.

Tyler Watson's lawsuits filed against the retailers in two separate counties claim he faced age discrimination from Dick's and Walmart, The Oregonian/OregonLive reported. The lawsuit is believed to be the first filed over the new gun policies enacted on Feb. 28.

The lawsuit claims a store owned by Dick's Sporting Goods in Medford, Oregon, refused to sell Watson .22-caliber Ruger rifle on Feb. 24. The suit says Grants Pass Walmart in Oregon refused to sell him a gun on March 3.

It's not clear if Watson knew at that point of the restrictions.

"He was really just trying to buy a rifle," said his attorney Max Whittington.

Watson is asking judges to force Dick's and Walmart "to stop unlawfully discriminating against 18, 19, and 20 year-old customers at all Oregon locations." Additionally, he is asking for unspecified punitive damages.

Walmart spokesman Randy Hargrove said the retailer plans to defend the new policy.

"We stand behind our decision and plan to defend it," he said. "While we haven't seen the complaint, we will respond as appropriate with the court."

A representative from Dick's hasn't responded to a request for comment.
Libertas aut mortis!

GunsandHoses

Re: Dick’s and Walmart getting sued over 21 only gun policy.

Post by GunsandHoses » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:07 am

Hope he wins meeeleeeons! [smilie=cheers1.gif]

zeebaron
Life Member
Life Member

Post by zeebaron » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:56 am

It would not surprise me if it was gun grabbers behind this action in order to make the age of 21 case law. Another step on the road...

molivo
Life Member
Life Member

Post by molivo » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:50 pm

Everyone bitched when the baker got sued for refusing to do business with the gay couple who wanted them to bake a wedding cake...saying you should be able to refuse to do business with whomever you want fir whatever reason you want.

but your applauding a gun dealer getting sued for refusing to sell a rifle to someone 21+?

Hypocrisy at it's finest I'm afraid...won't have to worry about it much longer, it's almost a given that legal age for any gun will be 21 in Florida soon. In before the black market underage gun Bazar begins... [smilie=011.gif]
Altar Arms - 01 FFL , NFA/SOT Dealer(772)497-6550
20$ Transfers for FSN members for Title 1 Firearms, 75$ Title 2!
Located in Fort Pierce, FL

I BUY PREBAN AR15'S! PM ME!

See us on Gunbroker.com! AltarArms
http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx?In ... rs=2086140

tector
Life Member
Life Member

Post by tector » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:02 pm

I am pretty sure a lot of car rental places don't rent under 21. And some charge a premium between 21 and 25. But maybe there is a law so allowing, not sure.
SE FL gunshow calendar: https://goo.gl/GNyvTP

It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.-Swift

Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Learned Hand

Cloaked Dagger
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cloaked Dagger » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:08 pm

molivo wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:50 pm
Everyone bitched when the baker got sued for refusing to do business with the gay couple who wanted them to bake a wedding cake...saying you should be able to refuse to do business with whomever you want fir whatever reason you want.

but your applauding a gun dealer getting sued for refusing to sell a rifle to someone 21+?

Hypocrisy at it's finest I'm afraid...won't have to worry about it much longer, it's almost a given that legal age for any gun will be 21 in Florida soon. In before the black market underage gun Bazar begins... [smilie=011.gif]
As long as the left is applying these descrimination laws to us through the courts I have no problem returning the favor. Generally yes I agree they should be able to refuse to do business with anyone for any reason but that’s not the law. The law says you cannot discriminate based on race, sex, age, etc. Now since you are saying they should what if they refuse to sell guns to blacks but would sell to whites(or vice verse) or refuse to sell to women but would sell to men(or vice versa), would you still defend that decision? Note I didn’t say would you agree with the decision but would you defend their right to make such a decision? Even if you would, it’s not the law we have today so this gun dealer is breaking the law.
Libertas aut mortis!

molivo
Life Member
Life Member

Post by molivo » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:01 pm

Cloaked Dagger wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:08 pm
molivo wrote:

As long as the left is applying these descrimination laws to us through the courts I have no problem returning the favor. Generally yes I agree they should be able to refuse to do business with anyone for any reason but that’s not the law. The law says you cannot discriminate based on race, sex, age, etc. Now since you are saying they should what if they refuse to sell guns to blacks but would sell to whites(or vice verse) or refuse to sell to women but would sell to men(or vice versa), would you still defend that decision? Note I didn’t say would you agree with the decision but would you defend their right to make such a decision? Even if you would, it’s not the law we have today so this gun dealer is breaking the law.
I, as a business owner, should be allowed to refuse to do business with whomever I want, for any reason I want. Free market rules dictate that if I alienate large groups of buyers, I probably will not be in business very long (at least not successfully). But I should be allowed to sell or not sell to whomever I please. Again, if it were bakers baking cakes for gays everybody would be supporting the baker...but because it's guns everyone's supporting the kid/plaintant ..

n0rlf

Post by n0rlf » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:38 pm

molivo wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:01 pm
Cloaked Dagger wrote:
molivo wrote:

I, as a business owner, should be allowed to refuse to do business with whomever I want, for any reason I want. Free market rules dictate that if I alienate large groups of buyers, I probably will not be in business very long (at least not successfully). But I should be allowed to sell or not sell to whomever I please. Again, if it were bakers baking cakes for gays everybody would be supporting the baker...but because it's guns everyone's supporting the kid/plaintant ..
I think the difference is there is no ammendment for cakes!
Remember:
2 truths in life
It is easier to seek forgiveness than permission!
Always drink upstream from the herd!

870Mike
Life Member
Life Member

Post by 870Mike » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:48 pm

n0rlf wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:38 pm

The Constitution is a contract between you and the Gov't, not you and Walmart.
"Send lawyers & money...have enough guns." - 870Mike

n0rlf

Post by n0rlf » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:49 pm

870Mike wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:48 pm
n0rlf wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:38 pm

The Constitution is a contract between you and the Gov't, not you and Walmart.
My point! There is no contract for cakes or for Walmart so it is comparing apples and trucks
Remember:
2 truths in life
It is easier to seek forgiveness than permission!
Always drink upstream from the herd!

tector
Life Member
Life Member

Post by tector » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:18 pm

molivo wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:01 pm
Cloaked Dagger wrote:
molivo wrote:

I agree with you, Matt, but that battle was effectively lost in 1964. While the cause was just then, it has been slippery sloped into a nightmare.
SE FL gunshow calendar: https://goo.gl/GNyvTP

It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.-Swift

Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Learned Hand

molivo
Life Member
Life Member

Post by molivo » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:47 pm

Ones constitutional right to own a firearm should not equate into someone else being forced to do business with you. If I feel uneasy selling someone a gun for any reason, I'm not going to do it. And we'll see each other in court if they wish to go that route. I've had people say things during course of a sale that caused me to stop it immediately and tell them go elsewhere.

deathpriest
Contributor
Contributor

Post by deathpriest » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:47 pm

Mix feelings here. Anyone can sell cakes to anyone but, it takes a special kind of license to sell constitutional rights enabler artifacts.
Blessings,
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
**Infidel**

molivo
Life Member
Life Member

Post by molivo » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:53 pm

deathpriest wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:47 pm
Mix feelings here. Anyone can sell cakes to anyone but, it takes a special kind of license to sell constitutional rights enabler artifacts.
The issue of what's being sold is irrelevant. Engaging in commerce is a business transaction, no business transaction should be forced by anyone's hand. Especially in gun sales. Maybe the kid said something or behaved oddly and the clerk's didn't feel comfortable selling him a firearm. I killed a sale one time when I asked a guy buying a gun if he wanted to purchase ammunition for it, and he "Yea. But I only need one round.". He claimed he was kidding after I told him no sale on the gun but I didn't care at that point. Another time a husband was going to the restroom in the middle of a sale and while he was in there his wife begged me to find a reason not to let the sale gi through saying he had been behaving oddly, been very depressed, was talking about suicide etc. I didn't go through with the sale. She came back a few days later saying he had been baker acted after trying to kill himself by overdosing. The gun business is not as black and white as it seems sometimes. And in the end, your all alone to deal with the consequences when someone misuses your product.

deathpriest
Contributor
Contributor

Post by deathpriest » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:02 pm

molivo wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:53 pm
deathpriest wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:47 pm
The issue of what's being sold is irrelevant. Engaging in commerce is a business transaction, no business transaction should be forced by anyone's hand.
Just not age, sex, religion, race...
I agree you should be able to not do business with whoever for any reason, just not to discriminate. You are right, maybe the kid would have said something "funny" and age could have nothing to do with it but, in this case.. age is a discriminating factor
Blessings,
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
**Infidel**

dammitgriff

Post by dammitgriff » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:40 pm

Private property rights, a core pillar of our freedoms here in the U.S., dictate the right to refuse service/admission/sales for any reason.
Discrimation means freedom. Laurence Vance, a Florida resident and scholar, explains this concept:
“There is no “right to service.” In a free society, business owners have the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason on any basis.
If a florist can choose not to sell a particular type of flower arrangement, then why can’t it choose not to sell a flower arrangement to a particular person? If the government is so interested in stamping out discrimination, they why doesn’t it mandate that florists sell every type of flower arrangement for every situation? Aren’t florists who don’t sell flower arrangements for weddings discriminating against customers who want to buy them and suppliers who want to provide the necessary raw products to the florists?
If an individual can discriminate against a business owner in any way, for any reason, and on any basis, then why can’t a business owner likewise discriminate against an individual?
That discrimination may be based on based on stereotypes, prejudice, hate, sexism, xenophobism, homophobism, bigotry, or racism is immaterial.
That discrimination may be because of race, creed, religion, sex, color, age, national origin, political ideology, IQ, physical appearance, marital status, socio-economic status, disability, gender identity or sexual orientation is irrelevant.
That someone thinks an act of discrimination is unfair, illogical, irrational, nonsensical, unreasonable, or just plain stupid is of no consequence.
...Discrimination is the exercise of freedom.”
R/Griff

P5 guy
Life Member
Life Member

Post by P5 guy » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:52 am

It is a bad business practice to turn away a cash in hand customer. And thoroughly the business owners prerogative to be bad.
I AM THE GUN LOBBY AND I VOTE!

dammitgriff

Post by dammitgriff » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:04 am

P5 guy wrote:It is a bad business practice to turn away a cash in hand customer. And thoroughly the business owners prerogative to be bad.
Correct! I just explained this concept to two men I know here at work. The business winds up cutting its nose off to spite its face.
Doesn’t a business exist solely to turn a profit, after all?
R/Griff