Report: Parkland Shooter Did Not Use High-Capacity Magazines

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
lakelandman
Contributor
Contributor

Report: Parkland Shooter Did Not Use High-Capacity Magazines

Post by lakelandman » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:07 pm

https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/03/ ... magazines/

The gunman used only 10-round magazines.
The Parkland shooter did not use magazines larger than 10 rounds, but gun-reform lobbyists are calling on lawmakers to ban higher-capacity magazines after the Valentine’s Day tragedy.

The 19-year-old school shooter who killed 17 in Florida on Valentine’s Day had 150 rounds of ammunition in 10-round magazines. Larger ones would not fit in his bag, Florida state senator Lauren Book revealed.

His AR-15 reportedly jammed as he attempted to continue his killing spree inside his former school last month.

An official briefed on the shooting investigation tells @CBSMiami the carnage could have been far worse. Investigators believe self-confessed gunman Nikolas Cruz planned on using a vantage point on the third-floor stairwell on the west side of the building to shoot at students...

After his gun jammed, the shooter threw it away and successfully blended into a crowd of students trying to escape the building, according to three sources close to the investigation.

Critics of high-capacity magazines have pointed to the shooting as an example of how they enable killing and ought to be banned, but the Parkland shooter used only smaller magazines.

Senator Marco Rubio (R., Fla.) hinted at a CNN town hall last week that the weapon may have malfunctioned, saying “three or four people may be alive today” because of something that happened during the shooting. Rubio has reconsidered his stance on whether high-capacity magazines should remain legal after the shooting, even though they are not what the young gunman used.
"Poor planning on your part does not necessitate an emergency on mine"

NorincoKid

Re: Report: Parkland Shooter Did Not Use High-Capacity Magazines

Post by NorincoKid » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:55 pm

Not sure if thats good or bad.

Good, in the sense that since he didn't use them, they shouldn't be any additional attention on those.

Bad, in the sense that he was still able to do that much damage without them, IE banning detachable mags over 10 isnt enough.

wjbarricklow
Life Member
Life Member

Post by wjbarricklow » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:40 pm

I think we all knew that you don’t need 30 roind magazines to kill people. Mass shootings have been done with pump shotguns and bolt action rifles.
...and they think I'm compensating for something?

Waldo1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Waldo1 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:12 pm

wjbarricklow wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:40 pm
I think we all knew that you don’t need 30 roind magazines to kill people. Mass shootings have been done with pump shotguns and bolt action rifles.
And mass killings have been perpetrated with knives and cars and kool-ade flavored poisons (Jim Jones) but I don't see a hue and cry for any of those to be banned. Any firearms ban should be legislatively-linked to a ban on knives, alcohol and automobiles capable of more than 80 MPH. Those 'death machines' belong on a racetrack, not a public street- no normal citizen needs a car capable of more than the state speed limit. Think of the children!! We also need a robust, open and public town-hall about Chicago and how gun control has failed miserably there... and in Washington DC... If Gun Control actually worked, those places would be utopian... RIGHT??
"The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity." -Harlan Ellison

jjk308
Life Member
Life Member

Post by jjk308 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:32 am

No sourcing or corroboration in the National Review article. Very sloppy work but I'm sure it'll be copied a thousand times across the internet.

At least this story says it used 2 anonymous sources:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/browa ... story.html

3/6/2018

Nikolas Cruz left at least 180 rounds of ammunition — inside magazines that bore Nazi swastika symbols — at the scene of the Parkland school shooting.

Along with his AR-15 semi-automatic rifle, Cruz abandoned at least six magazines that each contained 30 bullets at the scene of the mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, according to two sources who spoke on condition of anonymity.

“It could have been more than twice as bad if he had kept going,” one source said.

The magazines of ammunition had swastikas scrawled or etched into them, the sources said.
I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a sestertius in any one day.

N4KVE
Life Member
Life Member

Post by N4KVE » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:06 pm

jjk308 wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:32 am

The magazines of ammunition had swastikas scrawled or etched into them, the sources said.
Strange, his birth Mom was Jewish. GARY.

P5 guy
Life Member
Life Member

Post by P5 guy » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:25 am

N4KVE wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:06 pm
jjk308 wrote:

No one will ever mistake Cruz for a Mensa member. [smilie=011.gif]
I AM THE GUN LOBBY AND I VOTE!

jjk308
Life Member
Life Member

Post by jjk308 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:42 am

N4KVE wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:06 pm
jjk308 wrote:

I never heard a word about Cruz,s origins except that he and his brother, 2 years younger, were adopted and unrelated. Florida adoption laws keep birth certificates, etc. sealed unless opened by a court order.

The brother has always been a normal, bright, outgoing boy, a contrast to Nikolas, so this is a case of nature, not nurture.
I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a sestertius in any one day.

GunsandHoses

Post by GunsandHoses » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:01 pm

Heard the other day that the brother admitted to abusing (beating the sheeit out of ) Nicholas?! Wonder if that's PART of what F'd him up?

jjk308
Life Member
Life Member

Post by jjk308 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:41 pm

Bro and friends bullied him because he was such a miserable oddball. Believing that everyone is born innocent and perfect and warped by their early experience is a vestige of Freudian theory, proven wrong years ago.