Please read Florida statues 790.001 (17) I may be wrong in my understanding in what it states. Tell me.......am I. I'm confused by your interpretation of 790.001 (17) are you saying the weapon can be just stored loosely in a glove box or console. I'll admit I've been a little slow lately in understanding things for some reason.
wjbarricklow wrote: ↑
Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:58 am
It doesn’t have to be in a holster if it's in your glovebox, console, lunchbox, or some other container that it can't fired from. Just to clarify.
rent and several others are correct in glove box or whatever secured in a snapped holster.
And I agree with Taco on keeping quiet unless the officer asks about weapons. The only exception I would bring up is if the cop is asking you to do something that will reveal the gun. For example, if your gun is on top of your registration in the glovebox, you might want to guve the guy a heads up before you open it.
790.001 Definitions.—As used in this chapter, except where the context otherwise requires:
(16) “Readily accessible for immediate use” means that a firearm or other weapon is carried on the person or within such close proximity and in such a manner that it can be retrieved and used as easily and quickly as if carried on the person.
(17) “Securely encased” means in a glove compartment, whether or not locked; snapped in a holster; in a gun case, whether or not locked; in a zippered gun case; or in a closed box or container which requires a lid or cover to be opened for access.
790.06 License to carry concealed weapon or firearm.—
(12) (b) A person licensed under this section shall not be prohibited from carrying or storing a firearm in a vehicle for lawful purposes.
790.25 Lawful ownership, possession, and use of firearms and other weapons.—
(3) LAWFUL USES.—The provisions of ss. 790.053 and 790.06 do not apply in the following instances, and, despite such sections, it is lawful for the following persons to own, possess, and lawfully use firearms and other weapons, ammunition, and supplies for lawful purposes:
(l) A person traveling by private conveyance when the weapon is securely encased or in a public conveyance when the weapon is securely encased and not in the person’s manual possession;
4) CONSTRUCTION.—This act shall be liberally construed to carry out the declaration of policy herein and in favor of the constitutional right to keep and bear arms for lawful purposes. This act is supplemental and additional to existing rights to bear arms now guaranteed by law and decisions of the courts of Florida, and nothing herein shall impair or diminish any of such rights. This act shall supersede any law, ordinance, or regulation in conflict herewith.