Need input on 1 ton Diesel MIleage

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
george_995
Life Member
Life Member

Need input on 1 ton Diesel MIleage

Post by george_995 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:11 pm

I am currently in the process of looking to buy a one ton diesel. My intended use is for long distance traveling with camper,hauling construction materials/debris and livestock transporting. My main criteria is that its 4x4, crewcab, diesel and flatbed rigged (headache rack, gooseneck rig). I've looked thru google searches and most mileage quotes were sticker quotes and etc., looking for real world input hauling. I'm not brand loyal so there's an open mindset here.

After this last years storm damage in the Keys, I could have made good money if I had the rig mentioned above, that is hauling debris and etc. w/ dump trailer. My half ton tundra wouldn't have made the cut.
Ni he la na gaofar la na scoilb.

The thing about Smart mother f***ers is that sometimes, they sound like Crazy mother f***ers to Stupid mother f***ers ....

kmagnuss
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Need input on 1 ton Diesel MIleage

Post by kmagnuss » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:50 pm

I sell big construction equipment, used to own a F350 with 6.0 diesel, everyone that comes in owns diesels. One thing not to go by is the guys that are chipped saying they get xyz mpg... sometimes the tunes fool the ecu into thinking there's less fuel going in then there actually is, and they're WAY off on mpg (at least mine was). I averaged about 18 mpg or so real world calculated but the truck said I was getting 26. 4x4, crew cab, exhaust and tune. I talk crap with the guys that come in and most are seeing low 20's with their newer f250/350's... some say high 20's at times. Guy with a newer 4500 ram said he saw 30mpg... but he's tuned like crazy and FOS. I don't have any info on the Chevys... none of my customers drive diesel Chevys.
Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
2016 Tarpon Count: 61/209
2017 Tarpon Count: 109/431
Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters

dieselbeef
Life Member
Life Member

Post by dieselbeef » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:54 pm

you have a dispatcher? hot shotting is tough..you up on the edl?
im the other gary...

"The right and the decision to carry a weapon for your own defense is a horrible blessing".

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein

870Mike
Life Member
Life Member

Post by 870Mike » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:18 pm

"Send lawyers & money...have enough guns." - 870Mike

870Mike
Life Member
Life Member

Post by 870Mike » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:23 pm

22.8k lb. real world towing test:

Ram 3500 HD: 6.6mpg
Silverado HD: 6.4mpg
Ford F350: 5.7mpg

870Mike
Life Member
Life Member

Post by 870Mike » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:25 pm

Ram EcoDiesel real world 50k mile test:

https://jalopnik.com/ram-ecodiesel-real ... 1762998445

captain steinbrenner
Life Member
Life Member

Post by captain steinbrenner » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:27 pm

My 14 RAM 3500 DRW gets around 17/18 empty and 14/16 loaded with 12k+ pounds.
It’s deleted.
I would recommend a RAM, it’s a beast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Death solves all problems, no man, no problem. Joseph Stalin

george_995
Life Member
Life Member

Post by george_995 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:09 pm

Thanks for all the info and links so far. :ber
Kmagness, I will definitely keep in mind the "claims", I can somewhat relate to mileage claims thru Tundra owners. There is more than a few Toyota Forums, there any many that have realistic claims of their experienced mileage when towing, me being one of them . Most campers that are around 8,000lbs loaded are getting from 8mpg to 9mpg at highway speeds. Then there's some jackwagons claiming 13mpg to 14mpg towing 10k+lb fifth wheel and etc. at highway speeds. [smilie=011.gif]
Most 5.7l Tundras get 14-15mpg unloaded.

Capt. Steinbrenner
I'm looking hard at the cummins HD line, they have a promotion right now were there's no payments for 1 year and etc. I saw a 2018 truck that fit my criteria for $45000.
I am aware of the recall that Dodge has put out, the salesman that I spoke with showed me about 20 trucks that the dealer could not sell because of said recall. He said they were slated for auction. [smilie=eek.gif]
The recall was for the shifter on some of the trucks coming out of park when parked. Don't quote me verbatim. [smilie=011.gif] :ber

The thing about Smart mother f***ers is that sometimes, they sound like Crazy mother f***ers to Stupid mother f***ers ....

captain steinbrenner
Life Member
Life Member

Post by captain steinbrenner » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:33 pm

Mine has to get that recall done, I’ve been using the parking brake since I heard about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Death solves all problems, no man, no problem. Joseph Stalin

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:49 pm

george_995 wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:11 pm

After this last years storm damage in the Keys, I could have made good money if I had the rig mentioned above, that is hauling debris and etc. w/ dump trailer. My half ton tundra wouldn't have made the cut.
I don't want to burst your bubble but the state and FEMA are both reevaluating that disaster debris hauling industry
after the 2004 hurricane season they stopped using the large commercial tractor trailers and went with private individuals with dump trailers... what they have found is several of the smaller fly-by-night companies contract with different counties and in a mass disaster, like hurricane Irma, choose where they wanna work by servicing the larger bids and contracts with no complete by date and service those counties first.....not the hardest hit areas or areas where they need to restore vital roadways to get especially for emergency services . ....that's not a career path you can bank on
Also hauling trailers ( rvs ) after a disaster is down to about $1.10 a mile .... if you had to take a bunch from Florida to Houston it barely covered your fuel and expenses on the way home....I know people who did it and quit after the first run....
I'm a Dodge man myself so that's where my loyalties lie
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

george_995
Life Member
Life Member

Post by george_995 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:43 am

Rentprop1 wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:49 pm
george_995 wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:11 pm

I don't want to burst your bubble but the state and FEMA are both reevaluating that disaster debris hauling industry
after the 2004 hurricane season they stopped using the large commercial tractor trailers and went with private individuals with dump trailers... what they have found is several of the smaller fly-by-night companies contract with different counties and in a mass disaster, like hurricane Irma, choose where they wanna work by servicing the larger bids and contracts with no complete by date and service those counties first.....not the hardest hit areas or areas where they need to restore vital roadways to get especially for emergency services . ....that's not a career path you can bank on
Also hauling trailers ( rvs ) after a disaster is down to about $1.10 a mile .... if you had to take a bunch from Florida to Houston it barely covered your fuel and expenses on the way home....I know people who did it and quit after the first run....
I'm a Dodge man myself so that's where my loyalties lie
Yeah not betting the Family farm on anything career wise, more or less side work locally. Also majority of this upgrade is for my own personal use towing my camper. I have a 30ft travel trailer, in a couple of years I want to upgrade to a 42' gooseneck toyhauler( not to be confused with a fifthwheel).

I am looking to start my own business as well, not willing to talk specifics over open forum though. :ber

n0rlf
Life Member
Life Member

Post by n0rlf » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:11 am

dieselbeef wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:54 pm
Do you perhaps means the ELD mandate? If so that is not a big issue. Easy to accommodate and implement.

It is my specialty in the transportation IT world.
Remember:
2 truths in life
It is easier to seek forgiveness than permission!
Always drink upstream from the herd!

cubanstang50
Contributor
Contributor

Post by cubanstang50 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:44 am

I have a 05 3500 chevy. Mileage/price should not be concern lol. They all do about the same. I prefer reliability and we have never had a problem with ours. We pull the boat from west palm to mm 37 in the keys and we have between 1/2 -1/4 tank left. Its about 220 miles trip and the back is full also to include a golf cart.
3rd Battalion/8th Marines Kilo Co.

To locate, close with and destroy the enemy by fire and maneuver or to repel his assault by fire and close combat.

rchrd.miranda

Post by rchrd.miranda » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:11 am

I tend to favor cummins products. I am familiar with someone getting in the 23-22 real world range while on the highway. She says she doesn't really worry about around town because stations are to convenient and not a concern. Highway mileage has more to do with when and where is lunch, if you know what I mean.

dieselbeef
Life Member
Life Member

Post by dieselbeef » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:00 pm

n0rlf wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:11 am
dieselbeef wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:54 pm
Do you perhaps means the ELD mandate? If so that is not a big issue. Easy to accommodate and implement.

It is my specialty in the transportation IT world.
yes eld ](*,) ...
im the other gary...

"The right and the decision to carry a weapon for your own defense is a horrible blessing".

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein