What else are they for then ?

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
GunnyHiway
Life Member
Life Member

Post by GunnyHiway » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:11 pm

I recently had a reply to a wanted to buy post of mine.

After reading it......

" but other than that they function as well as a modern model, great house/car/truck gun, just a little harder to find mags and slower reloads".

That got me to thinking.............and I'm not ragging on the poster BUT.......................................

Besides maybe target/cometitive shooting, doesn't everyone keep their weapon in a home, and then carry it in their car/truck ?

Not to be a DB but I guess my M14 functions as well as a "modern model and is a great house/car/truck gun "as well.

My 1847 Uberti Walker and 2nd Dragoon also gets that accolade as well.

I'm sorry I just had a "Richard" moment......................I couldn't help it, I just had to. [smilie=011.gif]
The M14 does my talking !............and the 1911A1 too !

CRIMSON TIDE !!!

dammitgriff

Post by dammitgriff » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:27 pm

Guarantee you my dad moved his guns from the house to his truck and back almost every day.
He always rode around with a .22 model 60 Marlin and his No. 5 Enfield everywhere he went, almost without exception.
R/GriffImage

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Re: What else are they for then ?

Post by Rentprop1 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:41 pm

It just sucks that sporterizing classic rifles was a fad....

I believe in that phrase " it's your rifle do what you want with it " but I feel that beatings should follow to those who chop pieces of history.
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

BerettaRacer

Post by BerettaRacer » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:30 am

That's funny, because the vast majority of my guns are higher end customized competition guns, and they are parked in the safe, in storage, between events. Only kept at the house if I haven't had time to go to storage or if I'm doing some 'smithing/tuning.
Probably 98% of my shooting is competition or practice for competition. The other 2% is function testing etc.
On the other hand I do keep some old low cost beaters around for defense. Big difference in price and quality.
Self defense Beretta - $250
Competition Beretta's - over $4000 each
Last edited by BerettaRacer on Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GunnyHiway
Life Member
Life Member

Post by GunnyHiway » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:47 am

Rentprop1 wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:41 pm
It just sucks that sporterizing classic rifles was a fad....

I believe in that phrase " it's your rifle do what you want with it " but I feel that beatings should follow to those who chop pieces of history.
I agree. My dad had one of the $26.00 or some low price for members NRA M1 carbines when I was a kid. It had a well used stock with a couple of places carved in as well as a name.

Unfortunately I don't remember exact info but IIRC dad said the places were from some Pacific islands. He put a Monte Carlo stock on it and tossed the WWII one away.
Years later after he died I restored it with a USGI stock and removed the bayonet lug as it was WWII vintage.
Like a DA I sold the rifle for cash to buy restoration parts for a Harley I was working on.

I feel like converting a WWII M1 Garand to .308 is borderline heresy. I know the navy converted some and I understand that and why. My thoughts are that the M1 acheived it's greatest level of success while in the original 30.06 caliber. J.C. Garand knew more about his invention than anyone else so my advice is leave it well enough alone. It ain't broke so don't screw with it. I know all the reasons, better accuracy, less powder consumption etc.etc. I say leave it alone and as is, it's a great American historical weapon.

Need a 7.62 rifle, get the best one of an era , M14. IMO No alteration needed for good shooting .

Sorry for the rant but Rent got me started ! [smilie=011.gif]
The M14 does my talking !............and the 1911A1 too !

CRIMSON TIDE !!!

dammitgriff

Post by dammitgriff » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:54 pm

Rentprop1 wrote:It just sucks that sporterizing classic rifles was a fad....

I’m not sure if this is implying my inherited No. 5 Enfield was a cut-down No. 4...
It’s the genuine article, I can assure you. However, I will admit it’s not 100% original, as the issued stocks were replaced with a Herter’s Monte Carlo some time in the distant past. It fits me like a glove.
I did acquire another, all-original, No. 5 about two years ago. It did not come with any accessories, such as the sling or bayonet. I purchased a replica bayonet that fits pretty good.
R/Griff

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:02 am

dammitgriff wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:54 pm
Rentprop1 wrote:It just sucks that sporterizing classic rifles was a fad....

I’m not sure if this is implying my inherited No. 5 Enfield was a cut-down No. 4...
It’s the genuine article, I can assure you. However, I will admit it’s not 100% original,
R/Griff
No one is talking about your ass, just implying sporterizing rifles suck and cut the value basically in half :ham'r
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

P5 guy
Life Member
Life Member

Post by P5 guy » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:02 am

Rentprop1 wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:02 am

No one is talking about your ass, just implying sporterizing rifles suck and cut the value basically in half :ham'r
On the plus side of the sport(bubba)izing fad the number of unaltered guns goes down and the value goes up.
[smilie=011.gif]
I AM THE GUN LOBBY AND I VOTE!