Problems with the Army's new sidearm?

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
tector
Life Member
Life Member

Post by tector » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:40 am

SE FL gunshow calendar: http://goo.gl/g0HdM

It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.-Swift

Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Learned Hand

N4KVE
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Problems with the Army's new sidearm?

Post by N4KVE » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:59 am

I'm not surprised. These new Sig's are not your father's guns. Im surprised FN wasn't in the running. GARY

dammitgriff

Post by dammitgriff » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:33 am

Performs better with hollow-point ammunition...
Yep, that’s gonna create a crapstorm across the geopolitical spectrum if U.S. warfighters use HP’s. Sure hope the Pentagon doesn’t shoot itself in the (other) foot over this.
—Griff
Last edited by dammitgriff on Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

REDinFL
Contributor
Contributor

Post by REDinFL » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:54 am

Dunno. I don't seem to have those problems. Too much glam and whoopee needed, it seems, along with new contracts and lots of money flowing to the ''right'' people. I only have 1911s. They work.
Mit den Dummen dreht man die Welt um.

patw
Life Member
Life Member

Post by patw » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:49 am

I wound up getting one about a year ago but after actually holding/shooting it, I wound up selling it off.For me personally, I didn't care for the short trigger pull, magazines were hard to come by and the grips are a pain in the neck to get and size. No gun shop in my area or even West Palm Beach, had any of the replaceable grip modules to try out. I had to go to order it directly from Sig. Once I got the grip module, I found out I had the older style slide release that would not work with the newer grip module. So I had to order another one of those + shipping. At the time, the slide release did not come with the grip module. I spent quite a bit trying to get the thing to size it right for me. To me, Sig dropped the ball with this model just like the P250,promising more than they could deliver.

pokeeejoe
Life Member
Life Member

Post by pokeeejoe » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:56 pm

The M9's are wearing out already? Why don't they just replace the worn parts? That's what they did to keep the 1911's going for twice as long as the M9 has been around. For that matter, why not just go with a 9mm version of the 1911? There are quite a few out there to choose from.

Yeah, I think the Sig was a solution, looking for a problem to solve.

regards,
Joe
I am not, never have been and will never be the person you think I am.

You can't know me, so get over it...

Flame Red
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Flame Red » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:30 am

I went through a phase where I owned a few different Sigs. Even had one of their 223 rifles with the piston system.
The novelty wore off and they are all gone now.

I know some are made in America but I guess the Army did not get the memorandum to buy American, eh? :ham'r
Dirty Harry doesn't play any favorites! Harry hates everybody!

Cloaked Dagger
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cloaked Dagger » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:14 am

Flame Red wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:30 am
I know some are made in America but I guess the Army did not get the memorandum to buy American, eh? :ham'r
Actually it’s the older ones made in West Germany, back when Germany was separated into east and west, that are the good ones.
Libertas aut mortis!

REDinFL
Contributor
Contributor

Post by REDinFL » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:54 am

Care to guess who or what is making a lot of ''German'' stuff now?

Casual
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Casual » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:26 am

REDinFL wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:54 am
Care to guess who or what is making a lot of ''German'' stuff now?
Austria
"What would happen if I hired two private investigators to follow each other?"

REDinFL
Contributor
Contributor

Post by REDinFL » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:34 am

I'm talking about the stuff that says ''Made in Germany.''. (by Gastarbeiter, now Invasion und Besitzer Arbeiter)

Jimmac

Post by Jimmac » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:25 pm

"Chosen before testing was complete"?
Was Jim Comey (FBI) in charge of that too???
It's a beautiful day, watch some idiot come along to mess it up.
Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, add a bag of Doritos and we have a party.

firemedic2000
Contributor
Contributor

Post by firemedic2000 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:05 pm

Same here with SIG'S products. I'd bought a Sig MPX a while back. Got it wiped it down and fired it. It short stroked on every rd. Every single rd........I've never had a weapon preform as badly as this one.

I finally got around to completely disassembling it to see what the problem could be. There was an unbelievable amount of grease in the weapon, even in the piston chamber. I've bought hundreds of guns like a glock, HK, FN ect ship and never greased down like this, it was in every opening of the weapon. I know a pita cleaning but no big deal [smilie=011.gif]

Still could not figure why they'd grease the piston chamber though. Maybe because of below starement.

But what was a big deal the Orings in the piston chamber looked to have been bent backwards as it was assembled. Like it was forced together, thus there was not a good seal in the piston gas chamber.

To be honest they looked worn and used also. Replaced all the Orings also. I had to use a little fense to compress the orings to reassemble the piston without bending orings backwards.

I guess I've been very lucky in the past on all the other weapons.

Even after all of the degreasing and cleaning. This damn weapon still will not extract and eject 2 rds per mag.

People on line have the same problem apparently and say that once it is broke in it works flawlessly about 500 rds.

The SIG MPX with a retractable stock or brace with a 4.5 inch barrel with the Hybrid suppressor feels alot alike an MP5sd add a binary trigger and it's alot of fun at the range. Especially with 124 grain American Eagle 9mm ammo at 175.00 per K shipped

But yes SIG's quality control has gone down hill. From everything thing I've read on the MPX if they work they are great and for the money they should run 100% out of the box with no break in period or be finicky on what kind of ammo you use. But at least now it's only short stroking on 2 rds instead of an entire mag.

I'm getting the CZ SCORPION EVO NEXT with it's direct blow back system. Oh by the way PSA is said to be coming out with a HK MP5 variant 9mm for around 1000.00 can't wait for that and their specials with free shipping [smilie=011.gif]

I'd been looking at the Sig P320 but it's reviews like the above that has stopped me. Also Sig is/has coming out with a civilian version of there military M17 minus the safety and a few other items.

To me if you delete the safety and uh a few other item from the weapon it's no longer a civilian version of the M17 military Sig at all. It's something totally different they are calling a civilian version of the M17.

It's really just a P320 dressed up to look like the M17. Further more why remove the safety from the version you'd be selling to civilians. I read the article and really with all the changes made it's not even the same weapon stamped M17 offered to the civilian market.

So it's basically all marketing hype. It will not be a M17 but a variant of a P320 that Sig will call a copy of a M17 and charge some stupid price for and even give you a special matching coin. For all the wanna be commandos out there wanting weapons that aren't used by the military but just because the manufacturer says they are. They will pay big bucks for them. Oh not to mention as hector stated you get all the problems that comes along with the P320/M17

Get a Glock 19 that's what Army Rangers use right out of the box [smilie=pdt_xtremez_28.gif]

http://www.guns.com/2017/12/12/sig-saue ... an-market/
Excert from article.

Though based on the P320 series of modular handguns, both Sig and the military have stressed that the full-sized M17 and its little brother, the compact M18, are not the same animal as their civilian predecessor. Army Chief of Staff Gen. Mark Milley went on record earlier this year, saying, “[T]he guts and the internals of the military version of that weapon are different than what you’re going to buy in the gun store or what police are going to be fielded.”
Ranger Airborne, Firefighter, Oath Keeper, NRA If you support Terrorist including not protesting their actions or defending their rights you are my enemy
Energetically will I meet the enemies of The Constitution and Bill of Rights both foreign and domestic. I shall defeat them on the field of battle and totally and utterly destroy them

rchrd.miranda

Post by rchrd.miranda » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:24 am

Well, they are certainly causing problems for local LEO's. The factory recall thinks a four to six week turn around for warranty/recall work is pretty good. that's just insane. Of course in the situation where officers purchase their own weapon as opposed to departmental issue it's a real show stopper. Glock may be compared to a Chevy in the weapon world but IT WORKS. But I admit, I still love my old Beretta 92. Unfortunately, the guru's of the world feel it is too complicated to keep in service. But, too many people have 20+ years of flawless service from them.

jwillgym
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jwillgym » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:31 pm

Cost factor is what won the contract. Maybe they should have looked at Air Force One refrigerators cost!
IYAOYAS