Survival "Eats..."

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
FfNJGTFO
Executive Member
Executive Member

Survival "Eats..."

Post by FfNJGTFO » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:34 pm

If you were looking to "prepare" for a time when there might be a "food shortage," what would you buy, and how much? It should be food that:

1) Is relatively cheap to buy, up front and in decent quantities (Perhaps a 1-2 month's supply);

2) Will store for a long time, unprepared (à la MRE's).

3) Meets all the basic nutrition requirements (proteins, "good" carbs, etc.)...and will "fill you up..."

4) Fairly easy to prepare (i.e. "just boil water" or "nuke" it).

IIRC, Dana Loesch was hawking such a company that provided "survival meals" of this nature, but I forgot who they were and, also IIRC, they were a bit pricey for what you got.

No, I'm not privy to any future 411 on "shortages..." [smilie=011.gif] I was just thinking a bit ahead of the next Hurricane season, having dealt directly with Irma this past season. No better time to "stock up" than when you don't "need to."

Thoughts? Thanks!

[smilie=cheers1.gif]

groundsclown

Re: Survival "Eats..."

Post by groundsclown » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:18 pm

It's no coincidence Publix puts Chef Boyardee on sale 10 for $10 on June 1st every year. Even has the easy open pull tabs. No can opener needed....buy cheap n stack deep. [smilie=011.gif]

Srasel79
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Srasel79 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:10 pm

groundsclown wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:18 pm
It's no coincidence Publix puts Chef Boyardee on sale 10 for $10 on June 1st every year. Even has the easy open pull tabs. No can opener needed....buy cheap n stack deep. [smilie=011.gif]
I agree 100%. Every hurricane season I stock up on bottled water, ravioli, Knorr's pasta sides.

jwperry
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jwperry » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:14 pm

groundsclown wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:18 pm
Truth.
Then I feed them to my kids in October and beyond. Those and the shelf stable chocolate milks.

For me and the wife, we buy peanut butter, peanuts, cashews and water.

captain steinbrenner
Life Member
Life Member

Survival "Eats..."

Post by captain steinbrenner » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:15 pm

I usually buy four 20 bags pounds of Jasmine rice and plenty of black and red beans around April and slaughter a 500+ pounds pig half fry it and preserve the meat in the lard.
The way my ancestors used to do it in Canary Islands, when I cook those pork chops you can smell them from a mile, so good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Death solves all problems, no man, no problem. Joseph Stalin

captain steinbrenner
Life Member
Life Member

Survival "Eats..."

Post by captain steinbrenner » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:18 pm

In the aftermath of the last hurricane many of my friends came by with their families and left well fed, they said they want more hurricanes...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Death solves all problems, no man, no problem. Joseph Stalin

firemedic2000
Contributor
Contributor

Post by firemedic2000 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:21 pm

I bought food grade 30 gal plastic drums the blue ones 3 of them they are easier to move than the 50 gal ones. I one 50 gal. I fill to but I'm not moving it. Along with a hand pump.

As far as food for two months what the guys stated stock up on canned goods also I really like the freezed dried meals ( #10 cans) since I've got lots of water. Plus the freezed dried meals have a shelve life of 25 years mostly.

Canned goods

Beans
Vegs
Meats
Condensed milk
PEANUT BUTTER A MUST HAVE
Crackers

BAGS
Rice
Cereals
Powder milk
Scallop potatos are good

Guy above had a good idea I forgot about. A good Ky or Va cured country ham you can hang it in a cool dry place and store it for a while as long as it stays dry. Leave it in it's bag.

You can get milk like products with extend shelf life that does not require refrigeration.

Meats
Bacon cooked in sealed bags does not require refrigeration last a couple weeks after opening
Jerky type products ect
Protein bars
M&Ms in single serving bags
Chips in single serving bags
Sams club has it

Very important toilet paper.
Home depot in the concrete section has heavy cardboard tubes that rolls will fit in. They are about 4ft long duct tape one end put newspaper in then rolls then news paper then seal with duct tape. Can get several rolls in and will store perfectly. News paper is to keep rolls from sticking to duct tape.

Grill with lid and several propane bottles use as small as grill as possible to conserve gas.

Just use your imagination but like I said if you goal is just a few months like the guys said canned goods and dried goods and drums or water storage containers or a ton of bottled water.
You can really never have enough water in my opinion.

I'd get water storage containers or drums if you can store them.

You said two months not long term. Remember also you have to eat what you bought and stored or it will go bad. Can goods are good because you will use them at the end of hurricane season.

Long term storeage is totally different if you want some ideas on what we do lmk.
Ranger Airborne, Firefighter, Oath Keeper, NRA If you support Terrorist including not protesting their actions or defending their rights you are my enemy
Energetically will I meet the enemies of The Constitution and Bill of Rights both foreign and domestic. I shall defeat them on the field of battle and totally and utterly destroy them

molivo
Life Member
Life Member

Post by molivo » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:41 pm

Any rice and dried beans will last awhile. But honestly, I'd look into some Wise Foods totes. They're reasonable, have variety, and last a long time. Canned foods spoil within a couple years so I avoid those. I'd also skip MREs as they aren't mean for long term use, and are usually pretty high calorie
Altar Arms - 01 FFL , NFA/SOT Dealer(772)497-6550
20$ Transfers for FSN members for Title 1 Firearms, 75$ Title 2!
Located in Fort Pierce, FL

I BUY PREBAN AR15'S! PM ME!

See us on Gunbroker.com! AltarArms
http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx?In ... rs=2086140

g.willikers
Life Member
Life Member

Post by g.willikers » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:14 am

Yeah, it's hard to improve on good ole' beans and rice.
The world has been running on it for thousands of years, along with small game.
Cheap, too.
"Don't take life so serious, son, it ain't nohow permanent."

jjk308
Life Member
Life Member

Post by jjk308 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:12 am

Nothing. I've got guns, ammunition, money and a few convenient supermarkets. [smilie=011.gif]
I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a sestertius in any one day.

FfNJGTFO
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by FfNJGTFO » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:55 am

Thanks all, for the suggestions... please keep them coming!

I like the idea of canned items for protein meat (Chef Boyardee, etc.), plus rice and pasta. Although I wonder as to the shelf life of uncooked pasta. Perhaps if I were to "vacuum seal" it (I have one of those sealers). I would go with dried meats (i.e. jerkey) but that gets a little pricey. Also the standard "Survival" packaged items (Wise, MH, etc.) are just way too pricey for what I'm thinking.

I'll be looking for that sale on June 1st. [smilie=011.gif] Please keep the ideas coming!

firemedic2000
Contributor
Contributor

Post by firemedic2000 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:45 am

MH is not bad if you buy in #10 cans and by the case of 6 cans per case and you get free shipping. The meat dinners go a long way and are really good and store really well. The chili, spaghetti, stroganoff ect by the case in cans.

NOT THE INDIVIDUAL BAGS. Those #10 cans are lite and can feed a lot of people to. Remember it's freeze dried so it's very lite in weight.

I also watch the survival forums on other gun forums and it comes up for sale there also at really great prices to. I love MH I have not tried Wise yet. I did just pick up three of their meals Sat. To try out and see how they are. Wise offers some good deals on their cans also.

But yeah your right their individual serving bags can get expensive. But remember to these meals are designed more for really long term storeage. I just watch for them when they go on sale or run across deals on them mostly and get them then. Then that's only if shipping is included also.

But what the other members said here about store bought goods is a must and a great way to go. Because to be honest to can only eat so much reconstituted food and besides it gives you gas [smilie=011.gif] pepper and salt is your friend

Below is what a case cost with shipping and if you search you can e en find it for less. I've gotten their meat meals for as little as 100.00 a case shipped of various flavors. I really like the deserts to blueberry crumble is killer.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mountain-Hou ... 3=&veh=sem
Ranger Airborne, Firefighter, Oath Keeper, NRA If you support Terrorist including not protesting their actions or defending their rights you are my enemy
Energetically will I meet the enemies of The Constitution and Bill of Rights both foreign and domestic. I shall defeat them on the field of battle and totally and utterly destroy them

better2have&notneed
Contributor
Contributor

Post by better2have&notneed » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:24 am

Anybody know if the Augason Farms stuff is ok?
I saw these 48 hr packs this morning at Walmart on the shelf for $19.97
I looked on the Auguson site but could not find any 48 hr stuff....I wonder if these are old/discontinued.

rug357

Post by rug357 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:25 pm

How many meals do you want to stock away?
How long do you want to store it?
3 meals per day for 4 people for 2 months is about 732 meals...that's a lot of meals.
Stocking away 732 meals for a year is going to be a lot different than stock it away for 5 or 10 years or 20 years.
Couple things to consider...
Most canned food have much longer storage life than is written on the can. Expiration date on the can is the worse case scenario before you can notice any change in taste or appearance. According to Hormel the canned spam can be consumed as long as the can is not leaking or bulged and that they have test cans that are over 30 years old that they taste occasionally. What does happen is that the food's appearance will change over time and you'll slowly loose some nutritional values. Also items with dairy products, vegetable oil will have shorter life. While can food has long shelf life they are pain to move around as they are heavy. Also, don't forget a can opener.

Dried grains and beans are cheap and provide a lot nutritious food but require special packaging for long term storage or insects and rodents will attack it. They can be kept for long time if nitrogen packed in solid container.

MRE is convenient but expensive. They can be stored for long time if kept in cool, dark and dry location. Most MRE have 3-5 year shelf life but if you keep them in your air conditioned closet at home I'm sure 10 years is okay. I've eaten 12 y/o MRE meals and they tasted fine and I didn't get sick. I've eaten 20+ y/o cracker and cookies from MRE and they tasted fine.

I stock some food at home for hurricane season. In May of each year I stock enough food and water for 3+ weeks. I have 2 cases of recent MREs and 2 or 3 cases of older (5+ years) MREs and I keep enough packaged food in the pantry for 250 meals. Most importantly I keep about 80 gallons of drinking water.
Fools learn from experience, intellegent person learns from experience of others.
She may not be of my flesh and blood but she is of my heart and soul.

molivo
Life Member
Life Member

Post by molivo » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:27 am

FfNJGTFO wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:55 am
Thanks all, for the suggestions... please keep them coming!

I like the idea of canned items for protein meat (Chef Boyardee, etc.), plus rice and pasta. Although I wonder as to the shelf life of uncooked pasta. Perhaps if I were to "vacuum seal" it (I have one of those sealers). I would go with dried meats (i.e. jerkey) but that gets a little pricey. Also the standard "Survival" packaged items (Wise, MH, etc.) are just way too pricey for what I'm thinking.

I'll be looking for that sale on June 1st. [smilie=011.gif] Please keep the ideas coming!
Avoid canned foods. Their shelf life is typically only a couple years. Unless your going to be on top of cycling it out regularly it's not a good option for long term.
Altar Arms - 01 FFL , NFA/SOT Dealer(772)497-6550
20$ Transfers for FSN members for Title 1 Firearms, 75$ Title 2!
Located in Fort Pierce, FL

I BUY PREBAN AR15'S! PM ME!

See us on Gunbroker.com! AltarArms
http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx?In ... rs=2086140

FfNJGTFO
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by FfNJGTFO » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:15 am

rug357 wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:25 pm
How many meals do you want to stock away?
2 months supply max, for one person.
rug357 wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:25 pm

How long do you want to store it?
Ongoing... I'd be willing to cycle through it every 6mos. or so, if not used for survival purposes. I don't necessarily need years of storage. Thus, I'm not concerned with the shelf life of canned goods. I think I'd be well within those limits. And I think I could easily seal things like bags of rice and other grains. And, yes, I do have a manual can opener... a couple of them, actually. But, thankfully, much of the canned veggies, etc. I buy now have the pop tops on them). I think SE Grocers (the new Winn-Dixie house brand) learned a lesson from Irma and is starting to do that more. BTW, that sale on Chef Boyardee is on right now at Winn-Dixie ($1.00/can). [smilie=cheers1.gif]

I am a little concerned about the shelf life of Pasta, though. I recall buying some "Angel Hair" nests at Costco once (back when I could eat Pasta regularly). After a couple of years, I tried one of them again, and it tasted differently... and not in a good way. And, I think it would be difficult for me to "vacuum seal" Angel Hair nests (they'd be crushed)... [smilie=011.gif]

I don't see myself going to the "MRE/Wise/MH" route at this point... not yet. Again, too expensive. I'd like to see if I can do this on just basic grocery store / Costco bought items and things I might eat on a regular basis if not in survival mode. Careful packaging and sealing, etc. should help.
molivo wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:27 am
Avoid canned foods. Their shelf life is typically only a couple years. Unless your going to be on top of cycling it out regularly it's not a good option for long term.
Per the above, not an issue for me, as I'd be willing to cycle through everything within a 6 month time frame.

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:47 am

Manwich =:e , just like bubba Gump with the shrimp.....

squirrel Manwich
opossum Manwich
deer Manwich
crow Manwich
rat Manwich
cat Manwich

there are probably 100 more but I'm tired of typing Manwich

and don't forget the Top Ramen noodles, they keep forever and just add boiling water, if you don't have water or a way to boil it during a long term food shortage, you're gonna die anyways [-(
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

FfNJGTFO
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by FfNJGTFO » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:51 am

Rentprop1 wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:47 am
Manwich =:e , just like bubba Gump with the shrimp.....

squirrel Manwich
opossum Manwich
deer Manwich
crow Manwich
rat Manwich
cat Manwich

there are probably 100 more but I'm tired of typing Manwich

and don't forget the Top Ramen noodles, they keep forever and just add boiling water, if you don't have water or a way to boil it during a long term food shortage, you're gonna die anyways [-(
I'd probably do SPAM instead of Manwich (or Shrimp), but same principle. [smilie=011.gif]

And yes, Those Ramen noodle things look very good... and very cheap. I will be able to boil water, so no issue there.

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:56 am

right next to the Spam is canned Ham, most have a 5 year shelf life.... the only down fall is the cans are for more family sized that 1-2 people , so wait till you're real hungry and break it open or use it to barter, feed dog, etc.

only problem is the sodium content and you will end up drinking more water :-k

remember none of that emergency or canned food is healthy , but I guess staying alive is more important

stock up now remember the only thing on the shelves as the hurricane approached was sauerkraut, beets, and sardines [smilie=flush.gif]
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

wjbarricklow
Life Member
Life Member

Post by wjbarricklow » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:59 pm

We keep a week’s worth of canned food anyway. That rotates out. I bought a 50Kg bag of rice like 2 years ago on sale, and we’re still eating that. El Presidente supermarket sells the big bags.

Expiration date on canned food is 1-2 years, but it’s good way past that. I keep 3 days of canned food at our camp in north Florida. I have stuff from 2015 and it’s still good.

Fresh or frozen meat is still good for 3 days to a week, after a hurricane.
...and they think I'm compensating for something?