Shooting on your own property

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Brandon H.
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Brandon H. » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:35 pm

I need help understand the law for this. I live on 1/2 acre with 5 acres behind me, and a fee houses behind that. I have a nice big dirt backstop in my backyard. I liked shooting my .22lr out back untill Rick scott change that. But after looking at the bill and reading an article about it, it looks like I still can shoot in the back yard as long as I do so safely.

Does this sound right? Am I playing with fire and I should avoid it? Im not talking a .338 lapua, but just some fun with the suppresors and some unsupressed .22lr

Area (b)

https://www.thegunwriter.com/20150/colu ... explained/

870Mike
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Shooting on your own property

Post by 870Mike » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:18 pm

You can always be the test case...

But seriously, how is your property zoned (density)? That's what could be the deciding factor.
"Send lawyers & money...have enough guns." - 870Mike

Brandon H.
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Brandon H. » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:48 pm

I dont wanna be the test case _: . Just never been in hand cuffs and would be pissed if thats how it happens.

We aren’t in city limits, dont live in a subdivision either. but most houses around here are on lots smaller than an acre.

There are people on my street that shoot on thier farming property, i hear it every weekend. Unfortuantly most keep to themselfs and dont want the liability.

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:49 pm

Note residential being the key word.....and the next revision remove that word meaning you can only shoot on agriculture zoned land ...
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

Shueter612

Post by Shueter612 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:39 pm

its not a misdemeanor exception.... so just don't do it in front of the cops.

jjk308
Life Member
Life Member

Post by jjk308 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:09 am

Is there anyplace you can look up the residential density of your area? 1 acre or more around you - actual, not zoning as far as I can tell, and you are OK. BTW that law supersedes all local shooting ordinances and there's a legal precedent for it, too, a homeowner getting off on a local charge because of the residential density.

An alternative would be to get or make a silencer. Or shoot much quieter subsonic .22 shorts.
I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a sestertius in any one day.

REDinFL
Contributor
Contributor

Post by REDinFL » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:36 am

OK, somebody has to say it. What makes you think it's ''your'' property? You just get to pay, pay, pay....
NRA Endowment Member
PhD from University of Hard Knocks

M14man
Life Member
Life Member

Post by M14man » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:05 am

The Florida statute is slightly different...but use the law, not the draft to make your decision.
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/ind ... 90.15.html

deathpriest
Contributor
Contributor

Post by deathpriest » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:14 pm

I am no lawyer but, the way I read it....

Oh, I see now exception b). Basically same as before?

You can but, you could be called to prove that "the discharge does not pose a reasonably foreseeable risk to life, safety, or property;"
Same as before that you could've been called to prove that you were not "reckless or negligent"
Last edited by deathpriest on Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blessings,
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
**Infidel**

Brandon H.
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Brandon H. » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:54 pm

jjk308 wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:09 am
Is there anyplace you can look up the residential density of your area? 1 acre or more around you - actual, not zoning as far as I can tell, and you are OK. BTW that law supersedes all local shooting ordinances and there's a legal precedent for it, too, a homeowner getting off on a local charge because of the residential density.

An alternative would be to get or make a silencer. Or shoot much quieter subsonic .22 shorts.
Already have a Rugged Obsidian so I can keep the noise down but it sounds like im still screwed either way..

What if I got my FFL? No loopholes?
Last edited by Brandon H. on Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

M14man
Life Member
Life Member

Post by M14man » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:29 pm

Would not section (B) apply to you if you increase berm size and shoot thru a carpeted tunnel to minimize report further?

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:26 pm

Shooting thru a tube of old tires does the same thing ...even better I might add
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

dammitgriff

Post by dammitgriff » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:53 pm

Hello, men...
The big problem in any law is who gets to decide what is negligent or not. Usually it’s the responding county sheriff’s deputy.
Recommend touching bases with the local sheriff’s office and establish a respectful relationship, ask some questions and invite them to have a look-see at your setup, if you’re comfortable with that. Maybe an off-duty visit is an option as well.
Hopefully, that will pre-empt the handcuff test.
R/Griff

jjk308
Life Member
Life Member

Post by jjk308 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:33 am

Better to ask forgiveness than seek permission.

Any bets as to the local sheriff’s office saying "Don't"! Just a knee jerk reaction to approving, or even allowing, anything with the slightest bit of risk that might come back to bite them.
I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a sestertius in any one day.

dammitgriff

Post by dammitgriff » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:50 am

I’m with you there, jjk308...was thinking if you already know someone in law enforcement it might be okay to ask a couple questions.
Section b as described above would be applicable and provide the exemption if you made an effort to make your range/shooting area safe, such as with a suitable backstop. Such actions would (should) be easily defendable in court, if it came to that, with a good lawyer arguing in your favor.
It’s not really about safety, it’s about another possible revenue stream. Isn’t it infuriating that free men cannot rely on their good common sense anymore without fear of the state locking you up for a victimless offense?
R/Griff

dammitgriff

Post by dammitgriff » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:57 pm

I just copied this from The Shooter’s Forum:

“"Over the hill" shots lets the bullet land out of your sight but it's still yours!!
In most states, 'Manslaughter' is 'Careless disregard for human life.' 'Aggravated manslaughter' is 'Reckless disregard for human life.'
I worked a case many years ago in Wisconsin. Two guys shooting a 7.62x39 on a home range with a rocky hillside and 'dog hair' oak trees as a backstop. A richochet went through the windshield about 300 yards away on a parallel county road and hit a young guy in the arm bad enough he very nearly died on the hospital by helicopter. In my investigation, I found spent bullets in the gutter of a barn nearly a mile away.
A pile of old tires full of dirt prevents that and last a very long time.
A death from a home range without a backstop will be 'careless' at least.” ~JBelk

R/Griff

avmech
Contributor
Contributor

Post by avmech » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:50 pm

Ask your local LE agency as they will be the ones called out to check, or use section 4 (b) as your reasoning

870Mike
Life Member
Life Member

Post by 870Mike » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:26 pm

avmech wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:50 pm
Ask your local LE agency as they will be the ones called out to check
[smilie=011.gif] Let us know how that goes...
"Send lawyers & money...have enough guns." - 870Mike

avmech
Contributor
Contributor

Post by avmech » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:34 am

Twas tongue in cheek...

M14man
Life Member
Life Member

Post by M14man » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:00 pm

Do you have neighbors that will call on rimfire shooting.
I really feel if you have a safe set up, you have no worries. Most cops will warn you if they don't think it legal. Just have Trump and veteran stickers around!