Tennessee Cabin

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
FSUnoles
Life Member
Life Member

Tennessee Cabin

Post by FSUnoles » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:38 pm

So my old lady and I have done dozens of cruises to basically every island. She’s been braking my Balls to do a Smokey mountain cabin looking for something quiet clean and safe in the sticks. Do some hiking, plinking, fishing etc.

Pigeon forge or gatlinsburg?

I wanna not see people next to us, have a nice hot tub, nice kitchen or grille to make meals etc.

Looking to go in March

Casual
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Tennessee Cabin

Post by Casual » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:22 pm

This would be a question for Cliff, flcracker
"What would happen if I hired two private investigators to follow each other?"

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:22 am

Pigeon forge or Gatlinburg those are the 2 biggest tourist traps in the Smokeys . ...you better look for deep woods type cabin if you don't want people traffic or tourists
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

FSUnoles
Life Member
Life Member

Post by FSUnoles » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:47 am

Rentprop1 wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:22 am
Pigeon forge or Gatlinburg those are the 2 biggest tourist traps in the Smokeys . ...you better look for deep woods type cabin if you don't want people traffic or tourists

Such as?

zalfmon

Post by zalfmon » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:00 am

Here's a place in NC - https://landscreek.com/

It's in Bryson City - major attractions all within 1-1.5 hr (check out "Things to do")

If you like beer - Asheville is only an hour away - about 40 breweries [smilie=cheers1.gif]

While March is still too cold for tubing etc - fishing is fantastic - http://www.fontanaguides.com

https://www.instagram.com/p/BdlPi8klDjc/ - My son-in-law with a 20" Brookie in November 2016

We were just there again a couple of weeks ago - temps in single digits

...it was COLD!!!
"A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him
than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word,
'darkness' on the walls of his cell."
- C. S. Lewis

n0rlf

Post by n0rlf » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:15 am

The area around pigeon forge and Gatlinburg is most definitely a tourist trap. Since I love an hour away in the mountains we see it a lot as we drop over to Bud's there every so often.

There are a lot of places to go that fit your needs without going to Gatlinburg. Send me an email and I call get you some information.
Remember:
2 truths in life
It is easier to seek forgiveness than permission!
Always drink upstream from the herd!

draggindakota
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by draggindakota » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:51 am

My family and a friend's family (4 adults and 6 kids) spent Christmas 2014 in this cabin outside of Sevierville, kinda halfway between Gatlinburg and PF:

https://www.vrbo.com/569980

The location was great and the cabin was excellent.
Why would you want to give away any of your rights or freedoms? Just because one jack wagon doesn't have an elevator worth Andre 3000 doesn't mean that I should have my privileges taken away.

george_995
Life Member
Life Member

Post by george_995 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:19 am

I highly recommend either the last week in May or the first week in June. Awesome weather, the trees and plants are so green.
Ni he la na gaofar la na scoilb.

The thing about Smart mother f***ers is that sometimes, they sound like Crazy mother f***ers to Stupid mother f***ers ....

Srasel79
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Srasel79 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:53 pm

I don't know if it would be right for you but I did see ads for cabin rentals in Maggie valley nc.

n0rlf

Post by n0rlf » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:11 pm

Personally I would stay away from the entire Pigeon Forge, Sevierville, Gatlinburg area. We go up there quite a bit but we live close enough that we do not have to stay! :)

As a suggestion go down a little and stay somehwere along the Cherohala skyway! Drive it over into north Carolina then up and take the Tail of the Dragon back east and down to Tellico area. Gorgeous drive! Close enough to pop up to Buds and Smoky Mountain Knife Works for a quick visit and see the tourist junk by Sevierville.

Just my opinion but if you truly want to get away there are a lot of VRBO and cabins that are off peak in March along that route. Not as pretty as spring or fall but March should be close to seeing green!

https://tailofthedragonmaps.com/tail-of ... agon-loop/

Fun in a car, awesome on a bike!
Remember:
2 truths in life

Skeezix
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Skeezix » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:33 pm

Another cool place to go in that area...
https://wheelsthroughtime.com/#/ms-2745/3

flcracker
Life Member
Life Member

Post by flcracker » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:38 pm

Everything that n0rlf said ^^^ !!!

Pigeon Forge is like a Snuffy Smif' version of International Drive. The only redeeming quality is that they have a Publix.

The NC side is much nicer and less populated, IMHO but that doesn't mean that you won't find your perfect getaway in TN. Check VRBO/HomeAway/Airbnb in the vicinity of Robbinsville, Hot Springs, Cranberry, Roan Mountain, Tellico Plains, Marysville......
and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!

n0rlf

Post by n0rlf » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:42 pm

We are buiding on the western ridge of the Sequatchie valley. Just far enough away to keep tourists at bay. But close enough to what we like to do. We are ten minutes away from Fall Creek Falls State park, 45 away from Savage Gulf State park, and within 90 minutes of the Gatlinburg area.

I love that we live on a goat trail up on the moountain. We can see a long ways. I have not ever seen a tourist up there. Rarely see anyone then the 3 or 4 closest neighbors and them fairly infrequently.

Real estate taxes are reasonable and there is no state income tax, $26 a yeear to register my vehicles. The sales tax is 9.25% but that is not all that bad considering.

I grew up here and am so happy I could return. I do miss the Ocean and the gulf but as my daughter lives in Orlando I can come and visit the grandkids anytime and get my ocean/beach fix. If anyone wants to visit and do some serious hiking and fishing and plinking I would highly recommend a cabin in this area. No tourists and just close enough to make a day out of Nashville or the Smokies!
Remember:
2 truths in life

jim640
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jim640 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:05 pm

Another vote for Maggie Valley. Right off the Blue Ridge Parkway. None of the garish commercial tourism bullshit you have in Pigeon Forge or Gatlinberg but close enough to both to get your fix for for fudge or souveneirs or mini golf. Some beautiful cabins with fantastic mountain views. I previously rented through www.smokyfalls.com but sure you can get a better deal through airbnb or similar. Beautiful area.
NRA Life Member
SAF Supporter

FSUnoles
Life Member
Life Member

Post by FSUnoles » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:05 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check it out.

patw
Life Member
Life Member

Post by patw » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:08 pm

My wife and I went to Gatlinburg years ago for Christmas. We rented a cabin in the area but it wasn't that close to others but you could still see them. Our porch faced away from other cabins and no one could see in. We had a hot tub and a single efficiency/cabin. It was a great little getaway. The only downside was the entire area-restaurants, gas stations, etc., (except for only one restaurant and only one gas station),was closed. It is beautiful country, you will love it.

JC9385

Post by JC9385 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:11 am

Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg are massive tourist traps. Picture Orlando, FL but in the mountains. I would suggest Blue Ridge, GA. I rent cabins from www.escapetoblueridge.com

FSUnoles
Life Member
Life Member

Post by FSUnoles » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:58 pm

JC9385 wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:11 am
Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg are massive tourist traps. Picture Orlando, FL but in the mountains. I would suggest Blue Ridge, GA. I rent cabins from www.escapetoblueridge.com

I went to sleep away camp in the blue ridge mountains in NC for many years. Went to ghost town in Maggie valley and carowinds a million times. Haven’t been to those parts of Tennessee though, Asheville has too many libs for me.

Lilwoody
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Lilwoody » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:21 pm

Can't comment on renting anything about cabins in that area but I can agree with the tourist trap statement. I can comment on western NC though. we stayed in several cabins there until we bought one. Linville/Newman near Grandfather Mountain is a great value for cabins. there are also quite a few very nice things to see there. Linville Falls, Grandfather Mountain, Linville Caverns, the Blue Ridge Parkway, Mount Michelle (the highest peak east of the Rockies), Pisga National Forest, Plum Tree Canopy Tours (zip lines through the tree tops) and many great small mountain town are near by.
I used this site and we stayed in The Birds Eye
http://www.linvillecabinrentals.com/res ... ble=rental
I'll guarantee you will pay nearly double in the Pigeon Forge but you will have Disney in the mountains there.