Where would you go?

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Gmountain
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Where would you go?

Post by Gmountain » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:55 am

tector wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:46 am
Gmountain wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:08 pm
I'd go to Vermont.
I know it was the first Constitutional Carry state, but it is 14 and snowing in Burlington as I type. Nope.

And the way it is going politically....
I would take winter over summer any day of the week. Plus, states out west are going to become California lite. Vermont, especially the northeast kingdom, is about as libertarian as it gets.

jwperry
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jwperry » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:10 am

Arkansas or Missouri.

I really wanted to like Tennessee, but after I got to see the "real Nashville", not the country music Mecca, but the urbanite wanna be Austin side I was completely turned off. Plus they gave us Al Gore.

I'm from Alabama and have always thought about moving back. But Alabama, Mississippi and Georgia are more purple than people think. If minorities actually voted in those states you'll see more Doug Jones types getting elected.

gforester
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by gforester » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:31 pm

jwperry wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:10 am
...I'm from Alabama and have always thought about moving back. But Alabama, Mississippi and Georgia are more purple than people think. If minorities actually voted in those states you'll see more Doug Jones types getting elected.
Alabama is great, at least the NE part on Sand Mountain where I summer every year. Open carry state that's very gun friendly and the people are some of the best you will meet. If things get any worse here in Florida I will sell my home here and make the summer place my permanent home. Florida was really nice back in the 60's and 70's, but not so much anymore.

tcpip95
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by tcpip95 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:59 am

It would be Gulf Coast Alabama for me. We evacuated there for Irma, and really liked the area a lot. Orange Beach, Gulf Shores. Northern GA for the summers.
I was part of the SOLUTION, were YOU?

g.willikers
Life Member
Life Member

Post by g.willikers » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:17 am

There really is no one perfect place.
Unless you are willing to be on the move with a RV, or can afford to stay in nice hotels, there's drawbacks no matter where you go.
The grass is always greener somewhere else.
Just find other like minded folks who value what you do and ignore the rest as much as possible.
There's no need to like an entire state, an impossible task anyway.
"Don't take life so serious, son, it ain't nohow permanent."

FfNJGTFO
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by FfNJGTFO » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:27 am

g.willikers wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:17 am
Unless you are willing to be on the move with a RV, or can afford to stay in nice hotels, there's drawbacks no matter where you go.
Just find other like minded folks who value what you do and ignore the rest as much as possible.
Agreed. Which is why, most likely, I'll try to stay and fight it out in FL for as long as I can...

cougar_guy04
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by cougar_guy04 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:20 am

madman wrote:Alabama is right under our nose, though they do have a state income tax, their taxes are very low. I believe they're second in gun rights in an overwhelmingly red state. And if you choose, you can be relatively close to the water's of the gulf.

Me, I'm going to Oregon to open a school, teaching the libitard snowflakes how to pump gas. I'll retire in a year. [smilie=011.gif]
One thing you have to watch out for in Alabama. Property tax on vehicles at the state, county, and city level (it costs me $431 to register two vehicles) and sales tax is high in certain levels (Huntsville was 9%) because, again, there can be state, county and city taxes.

That said, my property tax in 3300 sq-ft 4/3.5 on almost .75 acre was $1500/year. So it all balances out.

Guns are pretty easy going, though development is creeping outward from the cities so places to shoot could be in danger soon. NFA is no sweat in most places. Prior to 41F/41P, I called the sheriff about it and they said "No problem. Bring the forms in and the sheriff will have them signed off for you by the next day." There's actually a range that the owner is looking to sale and, if I could make the numbers work for a business, I'd buy it tomorrow and start some improvements on it.

As for where I'd go, I'd love to go back to the Huntsville area. My 15 mile commute took me 20 minutes and I didn't have to worry about a bunch of idiots trying to kill me in the commute. If my job wasn't so good, I'd already be back there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity"

REDinFL
Contributor
Contributor

Post by REDinFL » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:16 pm

One needs watch that tax by multiple levels of government in a number of ''destination'' states: The Carolinas are particular examples. I've evaluated a number of places and my conclusions are AZ, Texas or FL. Since I've been here 20+ years, it's home. I'll stay and fight, politically and in reality, as made necessary.
Mit den Dummen dreht man die Welt um.

870Mike
Life Member
Life Member

Post by 870Mike » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:39 pm

"Send lawyers & money...have enough guns." - 870Mike

Dr. Dickie
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Dr. Dickie » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:16 am

FfNJGTFO wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:27 am
g.willikers wrote:
Agreed. Which is why, most likely, I'll try to stay and fight it out in FL for as long as I can...
My consideration on moving is really motivated by not wanting to be living at the beach in my 70s. I don't want to deal with a hurricane when I retire.
So, if I am going to move, I might want to try another state.
Like you said, there is no where perfect, but other states do offer other things. That can be both good and bad.
Repeal the 17th Amendment, let’s put America back to the Republic the founding fathers intended!

FfNJGTFO
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by FfNJGTFO » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:55 am

Dr. Dickie wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:16 am
FfNJGTFO wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:27 am
g.willikers wrote:
My consideration on moving is really motivated by not wanting to be living at the beach in my 70s. I don't want to deal with a hurricane when I retire.
So, if I am going to move, I might want to try another state.
Like you said, there is no where perfect, but other states do offer other things. That can be both good and bad.
Precisely. There were reasons other than "2A" as to why I chose FL. I'm a "cave diver" and FL is one of the best places to go cave diving. I also have a bit of family, here in FL as well. And, for the most part, the weather is a whole lot better, although it doesn't seem like it this week... [smilie=011.gif]

I live about 30+ miles inland from the gulf so, hopefully, weather is not an issue for me. I lucked out with Irma. I hope I'm continuously as lucky in the future. Also we could get Tornadoes anywhere around here, so that's always a concern. But, as I also say, there's no escaping "Mother Nature."

wjbarricklow
Life Member
Life Member

Post by wjbarricklow » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:27 am

870Mike,

Martin County isn't too bad, I guess. It's not Shelby County, but at least it isn't Broward.
...and they think I'm compensating for something?

870Mike
Life Member
Life Member

Post by 870Mike » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:09 am

wjbarricklow wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:27 am
870Mike,

Martin County isn't too bad, I guess. It's not Shelby County, but at least it isn't Broward.
I'm not complaining. I like it here (Stuart). I'll take 'necks & bro-dozers over chimp-outs any day.
"Send lawyers & money...have enough guns." - 870Mike

wizard78
Contributor
Contributor

Post by wizard78 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:40 pm

870Mike wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:09 am
wjbarricklow wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:27 am
870Mike,

I'm not complaining. I like it here (Stuart). I'll take 'necks & bro-dozers over chimp-outs any day.
I've been in PSL since 1980 and still love it. Slowly the snow birds are migrating here as are the Que-beks but still tolerable. If I ever had to get out because my 2nd rights were not honored anymore, I would go somewhere where the libtards would shy away from. Been to Montana and it's fantastic as long as you have a sweet hot body to keep warm with on those long cold nights.

Dave P
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Dave P » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:25 pm

Not that I recommend it to anyone, but the Big Bend area of Florida is a pretty nice place to live. I am retired, so obviously that is a big factor.

We have about 40,000 folks in Suwannee County. I think 70% voted republican.

If the stuff hits the fan, I will just load more ammo - no reason to leave. I am on a private road, at the dead end,,, not many trouble makers get past the signs.
Go Trump!

FfNJGTFO
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by FfNJGTFO » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:34 pm

Dave P wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:25 pm
Not that I recommend it to anyone, but the Big Bend area of Florida is a pretty nice place to live. I am retired, so obviously that is a big factor.

We have about 40,000 folks in Suwannee County. I think 70% voted republican.

If the stuff hits the fan, I will just load more ammo - no reason to leave. I am on a private road, at the dead end,,, not many trouble makers get past the signs.
Oh, I'm quite familiar with Suwanee County, being a cave diver (Peacock Springs, Little River, etc. etc.). It is really nice out there. Now, if they only had Fiber Optic Internet (i.e. FiOS), I'd be there in a heartbeat. [smilie=011.gif]

g.willikers
Life Member
Life Member

Post by g.willikers » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:29 am

Fiber Optics?
It's hard to find a loaf of bread up thar that isn't "Wonder Bread."
Or decent brand of beer unless you bring it with you.
And there's a reason many of the houses are on stilts.
Madison is ok, though.
The cave system at Madison Blue Springs is impressive, too.
Just watch out for the giant spiders that weave their webs between the trees or you will walk right into one.
That's what the screaming you hear from whoever went into the woods to take a pee will be all about.

FfNJGTFO
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by FfNJGTFO » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:03 pm

g.willikers wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:29 am
Fiber Optics?
It's hard to find a loaf of bread up thar that isn't "Wonder Bread."
Or decent brand of beer unless you bring it with you.
And there's a reason many of the houses are on stilts.
Madison is ok, though.
The cave system at Madison Blue Springs is impressive, too.
Just watch out for the giant spiders that weave their webs between the trees or you will walk right into one.
That's what the screaming you hear from whoever went into the woods to take a pee will be all about.
Trust me, I've dealt with my fair share of banana spiders, etc. [smilie=011.gif] They're around even in Fort White. Yeah, I know, there's very little market for fiber Internet up there unless you are near Gainesville or Tally. Ah well. I'll stay in the Tampa Bay area.

g.willikers
Life Member
Life Member

Post by g.willikers » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:32 am

Depending on your cell phone reception, there's the possibility of good internet service via cell phone hot spot.
Pricy, but better than two cans and string.

FfNJGTFO
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by FfNJGTFO » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:37 am

g.willikers wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:32 am
Depending on your cell phone reception, there's the possibility of good internet service via cell phone hot spot.
Pricy, but better than two cans and string.
Yeah, waaaaaaayyy too expensive. I have a cellular hotspot and used it a lot when I was moving from NJ to FL and I had already shut down Comcast Cable TV/Int. But the data cap was too small and overages were like $15.00/gig. No thanks! I'll stay where I can get FiOS.