Is WOW! any worse than Spectrum?

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
REDinFL
Contributor
Contributor

Is WOW! any worse than Spectrum?

Post by REDinFL » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:13 pm

Right now, we have Spectrum, paying $170. for hd TV, internet, phone. The TV is mostly reruns, same crap on multiple channels, etc. No special packages. Let's just say I make strangling motions whenever that scrawny broad advertises them on TV.

WOW advertises $89.95 with contract, $109.95 without. Sure, I know there will be taxes and fees, possibly modem charges, but I can't imagine getting near the Spectrum number. All we need beyond basic TV is IDH, History, TCM, I'd forego some (other than the wife's IDH) if they required a jump to another level. They can keep the ESPN crap. We're in a poor reception area but, if it were solely up to me I'd make do with antenna TV.

Need internet but I'm not a gamer.

Just trying to save a few bucks. Any experiences with WOW? No FIOS in our area.
Mit den Dummen dreht man die Welt um.

zeebaron
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Is WOW! any worse than Spectrum?

Post by zeebaron » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:19 pm

Call Spectrum telling them you're going to cancel because WOW! or FIOS is cheaper. They will lower your bill dramatically.

Cardboard_killer
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Cardboard_killer » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:45 pm

No experience with WOW, sorry. But you can always call Spectrum and threaten to leave if they don't lower the price. They will respond, especially if you're really ready to do it.

I have FiOS and I done that a couple of times, and was ready to leave to over the air. The only real reason I stay is sports--can't watch college football and basketball as much as I want without the channels. But to give you my deal right now I have for $160/month:
1) HDTV
a) Premium movie channels (a lot, not all, but a lot)
b) sports package
c) DVR (would no longer watch any TV without a DVR)
2) LAN phone line
3) 20mbps up and down fiber optic internet line. Insane speeds, really.

I could live, if I had to, with just the internet, except for the sports. Getting rid of the LAN line saves like $12 a month, and I don't like talking on cell phones unless I have to, so I keep it. So, in effect, I'm paying $110 a month for sports channels. That's what I get for liking to watch sports.
Brian
Early Merging Causes Traffic Jams

lakelandman
Contributor
Contributor

Post by lakelandman » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:01 am

Yeah I never had a problem and the price is just right for my needs.
"Spend your energy to keep up and you won't have to waste it catching up"

REDinFL
Contributor
Contributor

Post by REDinFL » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:04 pm

Thanks.

My wife tried the negotiating tactic. They offered a package without one of my preferred channels, but including the junk for a whole $3 reduction. We're technically still Brighthouse, even though Spectrum owns them, so they would do us a biiiiiiiig favor and change us over. They figure they can get away with it because FIOS isn't in our area, just WOW, and that's a maybe - we get the promotional cards but I don't know if they have the cable in.

TC6969
Life Member
Life Member

Post by TC6969 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:28 pm

I haven't sat down in front of a TV for more than 1.5 minutes in over 30 years!

Cant say that I miss it.
Late mergers should be shot in the face, then set on fire and hung from an overpass. /:f

jjk308
Life Member
Life Member

Post by jjk308 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:47 am

Price out nothing but internet, cell phones, Roku streaming video and the channels you want. No need for land line phone or DVR. Might be a lot cheaper, maybe.

I just checked the Yelp ratings and various consumer reviews of WOW. A few love it, most hate the crappy cable, internet and customer service, payment screw-ups and delays.

I'd avoid it. https://www.yelp.com/biz/wow-internet-c ... las-park-2
I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a sestertius in any one day.

REDinFL
Contributor
Contributor

Post by REDinFL » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:02 pm

Thanks for the yelp reference. Basically what I was afraid of. Were it not for channels my wife wants, I wouldn't even have cable channels, just internet, Roku or netflix. Land line phone is needed since we're in a lousy cell reception area. Sure, a network extender would work but, for $10, make her happy.

Thanks for the tips.

captain steinbrenner
Life Member
Life Member

Post by captain steinbrenner » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:38 pm

Just off the phone with Comcast and slashed almost half of my bill keeping same channels and faster internet.
The secret is that when you call those thieves ask for the Solutions Department, don’t talk to anybody but them.
Perhaps the other scumbags have a solutions department too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Death solves all problems, no man, no problem. Joseph Stalin

jjk308
Life Member
Life Member

Post by jjk308 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:29 am

REDinFL wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:02 pm
Thanks for the yelp reference. Basically what I was afraid of. Were it not for channels my wife wants, I wouldn't even have cable channels, just internet, Roku or netflix. Land line phone is needed since we're in a lousy cell reception area. Sure, a network extender would work but, for $10, make her happy.

Thanks for the tips.
We were in a crappy cell phone area, had to walk out to the street to get reception from Sprint. Switched to Verizon and got excellent coverage. I'd check and see what providers have good coverage in your area.

It looks like you can get pretty much everything on streaming services that you can get on cable. Maybe cheaper and worth checking. Here's a guide but its well worth clicking the link and reading it all:

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/watch-live ... 17512.html
MORE: Best (and Worst) Cable-Replacement Services

DirecTV Now, Sling TV and PlayStation Vue are currently the most recognizable of these services, and the three are fairly similar in practice. They're not alone, though, as YouTube TV and Hulu with Live TV (currently in beta) recently joined the fray. DirecTV NOW includes channels such as E!, FX, TBS and TNT. Sling TV lets you watch channels like ESPN, AMC, Cartoon Network, HBO and Univision.

PlayStation Vue offers channels like Bravo, Fox News, Nickelodeon and USA. In addition to some of the above channels, YouTube TV and Hulu with Live TV provide access to their own original programming.

All five services have dozens more channels available, and you can watch them all in real time, just as you would on a standard cable subscription.
I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a sestertius in any one day.