Who is applying or getting FEMA Help?

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Flame Red
Life Member
Life Member

Who is applying or getting FEMA Help?

Post by Flame Red » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:49 am

For the last couple of weeks, all I see on the local news is lines of people waiting for FEMA handouts in various counties here in central florida. I get people needed help immediately following the storm, and I am sure folks in the keys still need help. But who the F*ck is FEMA handing out $ to around here in Central Florida a month later?

Back in 2004 when my roof blew off, I called FEMA and was looking for advice on where I could find a roofer that had shingles available and could help with temporary repairs. The nice (guess what ethnic) lady took my information and after asking me questions like "am I an undocumented alien?" said I did not qualify for any assistance and would not direct me to anyone that could help even make temporary repairs to prevent leaks. So I just waited a year and half for shingles... This time, my damages are a little above $4k, and are no where near my hurricane deductible.

I hear that FEMA are still handing out food, but seems FEMA is handing out $ too? Looks like long lines on the TV news. Let me guess to who... One month later and people around Central Florida super-markets are not stocked and need food handout? What am I missing? =:wvr Guess I have to work and don't have time to go stand in line...

So anyone here getting FEMA help. Let me guess - no one! Anyone here standing in line for a check or food?

{/RANT]
Dirty Harry doesn't play any favorites! Harry hates everybody!

zeebaron
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Who is applying or getting FEMA Help?

Post by zeebaron » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:11 pm

Get one of those 23andme DNA tests. Maybe you're 1/256th minority or something, then you can say you're that minority. People who's great great great grandpa was black identify as black and get away with it, after all. Put on some spray tan if you look too pasty to the case worker.

Villafuego

Post by Villafuego » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:52 pm

It sounds to me like you "failed citizenship verification".....they give you a list of docs you can send copies of to fix that problem.....

As a federal agency, FEMA can't legally recommend private firms to do work or supply materials.....

As far as money goes, now is when it'll start rolling out. Now that people can show what their HO Insurance did/didn't cover, all those folks will be getting assistance for the losses the ins. didn't help with. People need to actually read the letters they send before calling "8 is on your side"

FEMA only pays for home repairs and rental assistance.....personal property losses are paid for by either the SBA (loan) or a joint FEMA/State of FL grant program......food cards are thru the state......food is usually provided by voluntary agencies with different eligibility criteria (after the initial response/emergency phase)

Dave P
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Dave P » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:28 pm

FEMA happily handed me a few hundred bux, because my power was out for 6 days (Irma). I do not feel guilty taking it, because I have paid hundreds of thousands to the fed during my working career -- I am just getting a little of that back.

And then I sent most of the fema bux to my favorite charities. Tim Tebow, Salvation Army, Mexico city, etc.
Go Trump!

George W
Life Member
Life Member

Post by George W » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:57 pm

I applied online trying to recoup a little of my fuel costs and get something to bridge the gap between the little damage I had and my pocket as it was less than my deductible. I guess I was too honest and got a FU email within 20 minutes.

Those monster lines form whenever your promise free s';t with a promise of no verification.
Last edited by George W on Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Half of my resolutions to problems come with a cold sweat somewhere around 2 am.

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:37 pm

I had $ 2700 in damages here at the shop, got a FU email almost immediately and was told apply for a low interest SBA loan

the loan app is still in process....I see the lines for people getting EBT cards for free food ect and it make me sick, I had a loss that wasn't covered by insurance and lost wages for not being open for those 4 days.

seems like they help the worthless and non needy, but the gimme-gimme crowd only... [-(
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

Dave M
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Dave M » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:09 pm

I decided a couple of hurricanes ago that I was not going to go through that process and raise my blood pressure when I get the FU notice. We all know due to our economic and financial situations we do not fit the mold.

George W
Life Member
Life Member

Post by George W » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:39 pm

Dave M wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:09 pm
I decided a couple of hurricanes ago that I was not going to go through that process and raise my blood pressure when I get the FU notice. We all know due to our economic and financial situations we do not fit the mold.
During the last rounds of hurricanes in '05, my brother got a lot a of immediate assistance for his business. It was in the way of a Generator and fuel as his shop was without power for almost 3 weeks. There is no way he would have fit the profile for help personally, so I'm assuming the help for businesses was/is much different.

To be honest, it makes me sick. I live in Plant City. Traffic here in town was a GD nightmare for the better part of a week while people lined up to get all kinds of free s';t. My real losses were around $2500, and my minimum deductible with the 2% windstorm surcharge would have been $4700. I would have tickled shitless if I had gotten a $50 gift card to gas station to help cover my generator fuel costs.
Half of my resolutions to problems come with a cold sweat somewhere around 2 am.

cubanstang50
Contributor
Contributor

Post by cubanstang50 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:41 pm

Rentprop1 wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:37 pm
I had $ 2700 in damages here at the shop, got a FU email almost immediately and was told apply for a low interest SBA loan

the loan app is still in process....I see the lines for people getting EBT cards for free food ect and it make me sick, I had a loss that wasn't covered by insurance and lost wages for not being open for those 4 days.

seems like they help the worthless and non needy, but the gimme-gimme crowd only... [-(
The ones the least need it are the ones that get it. I am sitting here watching news and i didnt know they were giving free s';t out. It said that in miami it had thousands of people inline trying to get food stamps and in west palm it would start this week.
3rd Battalion/8th Marines Kilo Co.

To locate, close with and destroy the enemy by fire and maneuver or to repel his assault by fire and close combat.

Srasel79
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Srasel79 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:15 am

From what I understand everybody here is referring to the food from Florida program. It's basically for people that don't receive Food Stamps already. It's to help cover the cost of lost groceries due to being with no power. However, you basically have to have nothing in your savings or checking account and have low income or a high amount of losses to be able to get anything that's at least how I understood it.

jjk308
Life Member
Life Member

Post by jjk308 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:12 am

Flame Red wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:49 am
Back in 2004 when my roof blew off, I called FEMA and was looking for advice on where I could find a roofer that had shingles available and could help with temporary repairs. The nice (guess what ethnic) lady took my information and after asking me questions like "am I an undocumented alien?" said I did not qualify for any assistance and would not direct me to anyone that could help even make temporary repairs to prevent leaks.
The most ADVICE you would ever get is to find a licensed roofer on your own! FEMA hands out some money, brochures, some emergency supplies,and mostly devotes its efforts to infrastructure and economically important restoration. Otherwise their motto is: "I'm from the government and I'm here to pretend to help you."

The last time they did more was back around 1972 in the Hurricane Agnes floods in PA. My folks got flooded out, lived in a (smelly new) government trailer for months, had their house cleaned out, insulated, with new drywall, then sold it and got a loan for a big new house and furnishings, the monthly payment set at that of their VA loan on the original crappy old house. It was $122 a month, and the interest rate was something like 0.5% . And that was only their personal situation. A billion dollars plus (of real 1972 money) was poured into the area, much of it wasted, and did nothing for the long term economy which continued a steady decline. Even the fools in Congress figured that many more such disasters would bankrupt the country so the aid levels were cut far back.
I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a sestertius in any one day.

macattack321
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by macattack321 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:02 am

Don't discount the SBA loans. A co-worker needed around $8k to replace his roof (with insurance is paying the rest), and it looks like they are going to offer $37k at 1.7% APR.

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:49 am

SBA loans start at 3.3 % and they seem to be pretty stingy about the money these days , this is what I'm finding out, no receipts for equipment, can't help you, even if it was several years old and personally owned before the storm
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

tector
Life Member
Life Member

Post by tector » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:53 am

My advice is get a very deep tan and/or start speaking with an accent.
SE FL gunshow calendar: http://goo.gl/g0HdM

It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.-Swift

Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Learned Hand

870Mike
Life Member
Life Member

Post by 870Mike » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:02 am

"Send lawyers & money...have enough guns." - 870Mike

zeebaron
Life Member
Life Member

Post by zeebaron » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:59 pm

Rentprop1 wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:49 am
SBA loans start at 3.3 % and they seem to be pretty stingy about the money these days , this is what I'm finding out, no receipts for equipment, can't help you, even if it was several years old and personally owned before the storm
I'm really beginning to think that the only people that get easy government assistance know they have to lie their ass off. Ya know, don't ask don't tell. Wink wink.

photohause
Life Member
Life Member

Post by photohause » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:05 pm

Indian River County EOC Emergency Alerts (noreply@everbridge.net)

This is an important message from ALERT Indian River

A FEMA Disaster Recovery Center (DRC) has opened in Vero Beach to help residents affected by Hurricane Irma. This center will provide more complete services than the one that was here last month.

DRCs serve as one-stop shops for eligible storm survivors seeking one-on-one help. Representatives from the Federal Emergency Management Agency, the U.S. Small Business Administration and various state agencies will be at the center to answer questions.

DRCs can:
Provide assistance with filling out applications.
Update the status of a survivor’s application.
Provide referral services to voluntary organizations who offer a variety of services to survivors.
Provide access to the U.S. Small Business Administration for loan help and customer service.
The center is located at:
Indian River State College
Brackett Library
6155 College Lane
Vero Beach, FL 32966

***The DRC will only be a here for a limited amount of time***
Dates: Tuesday, October 17 through Sunday, October 22.
Hours: 8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
What new gun my dear, this old thing?

lakelandman
Contributor
Contributor

Post by lakelandman » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:31 pm

I did and I put the Sept 3rd the day I lost power and it was rejected for it being outside the date limit which was the 4th oh well rejected.. :ham'r
"Spend your energy to keep up and you won't have to waste it catching up"