MoviePass

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
User avatar
jwillgym
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 548
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2003 1:19 am
Location: Jacksonville, Fl

MoviePass

Post by jwillgym » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:42 am

Does anyone use MoviePass? Looks like a great deal, how does it work? Good or bad.
IYAOYAS

User avatar
zeebaron
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 1585
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:29 pm

Re: MoviePass

Post by zeebaron » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:23 pm

It's a good deal, but it will be going away once the venture capital investment money dries up.

User avatar
ParishM
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 5532
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2003 12:56 pm
Location: Pembroke Pines

Re: MoviePass

Post by ParishM » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:25 pm

doesn't sound like a bad deal, you can see one standard 2D movie every calendar day.
does not include 3D, IMAX, Fathom Events, DBOX, ETX/RPX, film festival screenings, etc.
I have enough money to last me the rest of my life, unless I buy something.

Jay561
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 803
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:13 pm
Location: Boynton Beach

Re: MoviePass

Post by Jay561 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:44 pm

Me and my wife have had it for a month and I wonder how long it will last. We use it like crazy. It's easy to use. We watch movies now that we would have never paid full price to see.

User avatar
ParishM
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 5532
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2003 12:56 pm
Location: Pembroke Pines

Re: MoviePass

Post by ParishM » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:49 pm

read several complaint posts on their FB page about people
waiting 2-3+ months for the card and being charged when they
don't have the card yet.
I have enough money to last me the rest of my life, unless I buy something.

User avatar
n0rlf
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 2234
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:43 pm
Location: Tennessee. Finally

Re: MoviePass

Post by n0rlf » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:29 pm

ParishM wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:49 pm
read several complaint posts on their FB page about people
waiting 2-3+ months for the card and being charged when they
don't have the card yet.
Several out of how many that got the card? Again one side of a story. If the card was misdelivered and being used I can see someone being charged as a mistake. If it gets fixed no problem. If not then it is a problem. Then comes the magnitude question. Is several adozen out of tends of thousands? Or is it hundreds out of a thousand. One is probably about a normal value while the other would make me want to stay away.

Any other info?
Remember:
2 truths in life
It is easier to seek forgiveness than permission!
Always drink upstream from the herd!

User avatar
jwillgym
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 548
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2003 1:19 am
Location: Jacksonville, Fl

Re: MoviePass

Post by jwillgym » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:58 pm

Well, I ordered the card today. Hopefully this works out.
IYAOYAS

Jay561
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 803
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:13 pm
Location: Boynton Beach

Re: MoviePass

Post by Jay561 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:45 am

ParishM wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:49 pm
read several complaint posts on their FB page about people
waiting 2-3+ months for the card and being charged when they
don't have the card yet.
Strange since you shouldn't get charged until you sync that you have received the card in your app for movie pass that you should of already installed.

User avatar
ParishM
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 5532
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2003 12:56 pm
Location: Pembroke Pines

Re: MoviePass

Post by ParishM » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:54 am

n0rlf wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:29 pm
ParishM wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:49 pm
read several complaint posts on their FB page about people
waiting 2-3+ months for the card and being charged when they
don't have the card yet.
Several out of how many that got the card? Again one side of a story. If the card was misdelivered and being used I can see someone being charged as a mistake. If it gets fixed no problem. If not then it is a problem. Then comes the magnitude question. Is several adozen out of tends of thousands? Or is it hundreds out of a thousand. One is probably about a normal value while the other would make me want to stay away.

Any other info?

it's way more than just a few bad comments, read it for yourself
before you run your big mouth !


https://www.facebook.com/MoviePass/
I have enough money to last me the rest of my life, unless I buy something.

User avatar
ParishM
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 5532
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2003 12:56 pm
Location: Pembroke Pines

Re: MoviePass

Post by ParishM » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:13 pm

Jay561 wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:45 am
ParishM wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:49 pm
read several complaint posts on their FB page about people
waiting 2-3+ months for the card and being charged when they
don't have the card yet.
Strange since you shouldn't get charged until you sync that you have received the card in your app for movie pass that you should of already installed.

apparently you are charged when you sign up and many have
stated they were charged each month even before they got
their cards.


Image
I have enough money to last me the rest of my life, unless I buy something.

User avatar
n0rlf
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 2234
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:43 pm
Location: Tennessee. Finally

Re: MoviePass

Post by n0rlf » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:00 pm

ParishM wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:54 am
n0rlf wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:29 pm
ParishM wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:49 pm
read several complaint posts on their FB page about people
waiting 2-3+ months for the card and being charged when they
don't have the card yet.
Several out of how many that got the card? Again one side of a story. If the card was misdelivered and being used I can see someone being charged as a mistake. If it gets fixed no problem. If not then it is a problem. Then comes the magnitude question. Is several adozen out of tends of thousands? Or is it hundreds out of a thousand. One is probably about a normal value while the other would make me want to stay away.

Any other info?

it's way more than just a few bad comments, read it for yourself
before you run your big mouth !


https://www.facebook.com/MoviePass/
Wow, sensitive much? It was an honest question there sir. How many are bad? And it is Facebook which is already saying a lot about the people posting.

So do you have a personal experience to impart upon us or are you just giving us the usual friend of a friend's, uncle's, Gardener's, dentists, brother said on Facebook Via Twitter bullshit.

Now, it could be that they have a real lousy review pretty much every where, I will research that on my own though as I damn sure am not going by what the great unwashed crowd of Facebook has to say.

Thanks for your usual non helping opinion rather that a real experience. Go find somewhere to stay cool.
Remember:
2 truths in life
It is easier to seek forgiveness than permission!
Always drink upstream from the herd!

User avatar
zeebaron
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 1585
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:29 pm

Re: MoviePass

Post by zeebaron » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:05 pm

It's funny how people complain about something that's costing the company a full ticket price for every movie you see. Two movies and they're in the red. Oh, but there's a little delay in mailing cards out due to the huge spike in demand...lol. Everyone expects Amazon Prime service now.

Cloaked Dagger
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 772
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:57 pm
Location: Orlando, FL

Re: MoviePass

Post by Cloaked Dagger » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:07 pm

zeebaron wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:05 pm
It's funny how people complain about something that's costing the company a full ticket price for every movie you see. Two movies and they're in the red. Oh, but there's a little delay in mailing cards out due to the huge spike in demand...lol. Everyone expects Amazon Prime service now.
They probably have a deal with the theater chains such that they don't pay anything close to full price.
Libertas aut mortis!

User avatar
ParishM
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 5532
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2003 12:56 pm
Location: Pembroke Pines

Re: MoviePass

Post by ParishM » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:09 pm

zeebaron wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:05 pm
It's funny how people complain about something that's costing the company a full ticket price for every movie you see. Two movies and they're in the red. Oh, but there's a little delay in mailing cards out due to the huge spike in demand...lol. Everyone expects Amazon Prime service now.


yeah they're in business to lose money !
I have enough money to last me the rest of my life, unless I buy something.

User avatar
zeebaron
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 1585
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:29 pm

Re: MoviePass

Post by zeebaron » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:10 pm

Cloaked Dagger wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:07 pm
zeebaron wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:05 pm
It's funny how people complain about something that's costing the company a full ticket price for every movie you see. Two movies and they're in the red. Oh, but there's a little delay in mailing cards out due to the huge spike in demand...lol. Everyone expects Amazon Prime service now.
They probably have a deal with the theater chains such that they don't pay anything close to full price.
I read an article that said there was nothing theatre chains could do about it because MoviePass was paying them full price for the tickets with the debit card.

The concept is so retarded you have to wonder how they rope investors in with this s';t.

User avatar
n0rlf
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 2234
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:43 pm
Location: Tennessee. Finally

Re: MoviePass

Post by n0rlf » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:15 pm

I am quite sure they have contracts with ads, movie makers, actors union, popcorn seller, and even the custodians to make it worthwhile.

Not exactly a huge leap to see how they could be making money several different ways with this. However I have not reached it as not in my portfolio at the moment.
Remember:
2 truths in life
It is easier to seek forgiveness than permission!
Always drink upstream from the herd!

Cloaked Dagger
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 772
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:57 pm
Location: Orlando, FL

Re: MoviePass

Post by Cloaked Dagger » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:18 pm

zeebaron wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:10 pm
Cloaked Dagger wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:07 pm
zeebaron wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:05 pm
It's funny how people complain about something that's costing the company a full ticket price for every movie you see. Two movies and they're in the red. Oh, but there's a little delay in mailing cards out due to the huge spike in demand...lol. Everyone expects Amazon Prime service now.
They probably have a deal with the theater chains such that they don't pay anything close to full price.
I read an article that said there was nothing theatre chains could do about it because MoviePass was paying them full price for the tickets with the debit card.

The concept is so retarded you have to wonder how they rope investors in with this s';t.
Well it could be a model similar to insurance where they are banking on most people using it infrequently enough that they more than balance out the ones that use it often. One wonders why those infrequent users would buy it in the first place but then there is also a ton of people who have gym memberships they don't use also.
Libertas aut mortis!

User avatar
zeebaron
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 1585
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:29 pm

Re: MoviePass

Post by zeebaron » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:29 pm

Cloaked Dagger wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:18 pm
zeebaron wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:10 pm
Cloaked Dagger wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:07 pm
zeebaron wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:05 pm
It's funny how people complain about something that's costing the company a full ticket price for every movie you see. Two movies and they're in the red. Oh, but there's a little delay in mailing cards out due to the huge spike in demand...lol. Everyone expects Amazon Prime service now.
They probably have a deal with the theater chains such that they don't pay anything close to full price.
I read an article that said there was nothing theatre chains could do about it because MoviePass was paying them full price for the tickets with the debit card.

The concept is so retarded you have to wonder how they rope investors in with this s';t.
Well it could be a model similar to insurance where they are banking on most people using it infrequently enough that they more than balance out the ones that use it often. One wonders why those infrequent users would buy it in the first place but then there is also a ton of people who have gym memberships they don't use also.
That's what I assumed, and it could work with the original price of $30 a month for a yearly plan they were charging.

Jay561
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 803
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:13 pm
Location: Boynton Beach

Re: MoviePass

Post by Jay561 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:34 am

Cloaked Dagger wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:18 pm

Well it could be a model similar to insurance where they are banking on most people using it infrequently enough that they more than balance out the ones that use it often. One wonders why those infrequent users would buy it in the first place but then there is also a ton of people who have gym memberships they don't use also.
Honestly I'm watching movies I would of never paid for if I didn't have this card. I walk out on movies I don't like quickly now without any thought.

User avatar
ss1
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 1442
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:29 pm
Location: Broward

Re: MoviePass

Post by ss1 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:52 am

I watch on average 2 movies a month. I think if you are a family of 4, you have to pick movies that would be family appropriate and may exclude ones that you don’t want the kids to see. Since you can’t see a movie more than once in the program unless you sneak into showing, you are definitely going to be challenged to see a ton of movies. Another aspect of this I don’t like is that you can’t select your movie unless you are physically at the theater. That is a non starter for big weekend openers. The irony is that I never heard of this until this thread and I probably would think it was viable at $30/month but not a price point I would see value in and at $10/month I would consider it but I don’t think it’s a sustainable business model.

Post Reply