Bullseye long range 1 mile target camera system

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Water Rat
Life Member
Life Member

Bullseye long range 1 mile target camera system

Post by Water Rat » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:23 am

Anyone tried this system, https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/pr ... ctId/75674

Tired of looking thru a spotting scope but not sure if some jack wagon at a range would try and use it as a target.

Faster hit location, more shooting on a hot range.

870Mike
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Bullseye long range 1 mile target camera system

Post by 870Mike » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:50 am

My buddy & I are working on a DIY unit, housed in a .50 cal can, lined with steel plate. There are some home-made units on YouTube.
"Send lawyers & money...have enough guns." - 870Mike

arkhangel5

Post by arkhangel5 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:39 pm

I got to play with one of the earlier generation 1k yards model. It worked fine for what it was. By that I mean, it works great as long as you are shooting at high contrast targets, like the shoot N see shown in the video. Works great for shooting at steel that is freshly painted. Doesnt work so good with bullet holes on dark backgrounds, eg: black faced NRA targets.

870Mike,
I built a DIY system a few yrs back trying to get to 1k yds. Problems I ran into was the optical analog to digital conversion. In other words, the video I was able to get at the time wasnt good enough to see holes on a NRA target. System i built worked fine to about 700yds then it got funky, but that was using omnidirectional antennas, not high gain directionals. Other considerations were if you were using this in a remote area, had to make sure you had portable power to last the length of your shooting session. Was an interesting experiment.

SY
Tough times create strong people. Strong people create good times. Good times create weak people. Weak people create tough times.

Water Rat
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Water Rat » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:51 pm

You could put something together using a 5.8g system and a gopro camera. Typical system used for drones.

Its the software to manipulate the image I can't do.

photohause
Life Member
Life Member

Post by photohause » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:13 pm

Water Rat wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:23 am
Anyone tried this system, https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/pr ... ctId/75674

Tired of looking thru a spotting scope but not sure if some jack wagon at a range would try and use it as a target.

Faster hit location, more shooting on a hot range.
Cool product and features
What new gun my dear, this old thing?

Water Rat
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Water Rat » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:38 pm

So you guys inspired me to make my own. Found some software, free.
Ordered a 5.8g 600mw 40 channel transmitter and receiver for 23 bucks.
A 7" true diversity lcd screen receiver with dvr for 69 bucks with built in battery.
2 different lens angle cameras, for 35 bucks.
Already have the li po batt for the transmitter.

We will see how it all works. If it turns out well, I'll post some reviews. Some of the stuff is comming from China so it will be a few weeks before I get some of the stuff.

Instead of a ground mount ammo can, I have a bunch of go pro housings I want to stuff the camera and transmitter into and use a flex mount to clamp at top of target frame looking down, or a lower leg looking up.

rug357

Post by rug357 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:53 pm

Water Rat wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:38 pm
Instead of a ground mount ammo can, I have a bunch of go pro housings I want to stuff the camera and transmitter into and use a flex mount to clamp at top of target frame looking down, or a lower leg looking up.
You sure you want to put the camera that close to the target?
I had idiots shoot my chronograph from just 10 feet, let alone 1,000 yards.
Fools learn from experience, intellegent person learns from experience of others.
She may not be of my flesh and blood but she is of my heart and soul.

Water Rat
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Water Rat » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:12 pm

I figure a smaller go pro housing is less of a target than a ground set ammo can.

I have a private range session outside with some students at end of the month, have it for 4 hours but women after two hours are done. Should give me two hours to myself without some lead paint eating jack wad trying to shoot it so I can see if it's gonna work.