Impossible to remove nut

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
870Mike
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Impossible to remove nut

Post by 870Mike » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:26 am

Did you hit it with an impact driver? Not a drill/driver, but a genuine impact gun?

When some knuckle dragger speaks to me in a condescending manner, I remind them of their place in the food chain.
"Send lawyers & money...have enough guns." - 870Mike

Taco
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Taco » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:39 am

I have a battery powered impact driver, my plug in hammer drill, as well as my ratchet and ratchet attached to 2x4. I don't have any air tools. I have a small compressor to fill tires, it may be enough to run a nailer for baseboards but I don't think it is enough to run real air tools.
Col. Hans Landa: I love rumors! Facts can be so misleading, but rumors, true or false, are often revealing.

Cardboard_killer
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Cardboard_killer » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:08 am

You've already done far more than the average homeowner would do. Call in the "professionals" and let them have at it.

I have someone mow my lawn, and a friend of mine ribs me about it. But I spend my time the way I want to when I can. The world is full of people trying to tell you and me what we should do with our money and our time.

And money is just a way to get more time, or change the way we live the time we have left. I work hard at a job that pays a lot more than I could make mowing lawns. I am happy to pay someone to take that chore off me, and then use the time to spend with my loved ones, or shooting, or watching football, etc..

If someone enjoys mowing the lawn and working on their mowers, that's awesome for you. I have no more right to criticize that use of your time than anyone has to criticize me for how I use my time. I enjoy doing things I could pay someone else to do, mowing the lawn and working on lawn mower maintenance just isn't one of them.
Brian
Early Merging Causes Traffic Jams

jjk308
Life Member
Life Member

Post by jjk308 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:19 am

Taco wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:52 am
Part of my hesitance to call earlier is how I've been treated by a different repair company. Guy always talked down and made me feel like a wimpy kid for not doing it myself even though it was all warranty work.
Probably BECAUSE it was all warranty work. The manufacturer usually pays less than the usual labor rate.
I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a sestertius in any one day.

Famester
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Famester » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:15 am

This is a little hard to explain unless you see it it person.
Besides doing all the other suggestions, something that may work is with an Pneumatic Impact gun & Socket
Soak nut with PB Blaster. Put socket on nut and turn on impact in one direction for a second or two, then reverse.
QUICKLY, Go back & forth, forward, reverse, similar to bumping. Like flipping a safety on & off and pressing trigger in-between
Sometimes a nut needs to be tightened or stretched to come off
I began revolution with 82 men. If I had to do it again, I do it with 10 or 15 and absolute faith. It does not matter how small you are if you have faith and plan of action.
Fidel Castro

photohause
Life Member
Life Member

Post by photohause » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:50 am

Rentprop1 wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:37 pm
nut splitter
Why kill yourself...this WORKS!
What new gun my dear, this old thing?

Taco
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Taco » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:37 am

photohause wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:50 am
Rentprop1 wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:37 pm
nut splitter
Why kill yourself...this WORKS!
I was mistaken in my original post, It's the head of a bolt I have access to, it keeps the drive shaft attached. Once that is out, according to YouTube, I can pull the shaft down a couple inches enough to get past the pulley guard and replace the belt.
Col. Hans Landa: I love rumors! Facts can be so misleading, but rumors, true or false, are often revealing.

photohause
Life Member
Life Member

Post by photohause » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:45 pm

What new gun my dear, this old thing?

jwillgym
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jwillgym » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:38 pm

How about cutting the old belt off and forcing the new belt over the pulley(bend the pulley guard if needed for access). I have done this many times on riding mowers, it's tight, but doable.
IYAOYAS