Gasoline shelf life / ethanol free / stabilizer question

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
armedpolak
Life Member
Life Member

Gasoline shelf life / ethanol free / stabilizer question

Post by armedpolak » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:30 pm

In preparation for the NEXT hurricane and power outage, I am taking the following steps:

1) Wire house for generator that will have enough omph to power: fridge, few fans, few (5-10) lights (will switch out all to LED), possibly microwave, and definitely a portable AC unit to keep ONE bedroom cool at night.

2) Buy generator.

3) Buy portable AC unit.

4) Buy steel gas containers to hold enough gas to run generator for 5-7 days straight.

Now, about the gasoline: i understand that ethanol free gas has longer shelf live; is this true? How does it compare to ethanol gas? How about gas with stabilizer in it?

Does this sound like a reasonable plan: fill up 5-10 steel gas containers at beginning of hurricane season; add stabilizer; hope it lasts entire hurricane season; dump all/remaining gas with stabilizer in cars at end of hurricane season. Rinse and repeat each year. Fire up the generator on regular basis to keep it running smooth; not let fuel sit in it for long; maintain the engine by doing oil changes.

You get the drill. Everything else is easy, I just wonder how long and how much gas I can store during the season...

GunnyHiway
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Gasoline shelf life / ethanol free / stabilizer question

Post by GunnyHiway » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:42 pm

I'd say you have a real good plan thats not too hard to acheive for most people. I have a question, how much gas is legal to store even for a short time ? I would think you may have to rethink the storage part because of the fire hazard more than the shelf life issue.

Here is some info on Stabil and the shelf life of gas when it's used.

A very informative read. [smilie=cheers1.gif]

https://www.goldeagle.com/brands/sta-bil-faqs
The M14 does my talking !............and the 1911A1 too !

CRIMSON TIDE !!!

zeebaron
Life Member
Life Member

Post by zeebaron » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:46 pm

Rusty insides of steel cans would make me a little worried. Scepter makes a good plastic jerry-style can:

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools ... _200473764

And you can buy normal spouts for them instead of those stupid safety ones that makes you spill s';t everywhere:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/182033023767

armedpolak
Life Member
Life Member

Post by armedpolak » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:52 pm

GunnyHiway wrote:I'd say you have a real good plan thats not too hard to acheive for most people. I have a question, how much gas is legal to store even for a short time ? I would think you may have to rethink the storage part because of the fire hazard more than the shelf life issue.

Here is some info on Stabil and the shelf life of gas when it's used.

A very informative read. [smilie=cheers1.gif]

https://www.goldeagle.com/brands/sta-bil-faqs
Honestly I don't give a flying f/;k about storage laws. It will be out of sight in garage behind shelves. Just want to make sure that if I fill up in may/June it will be good in November...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zeebaron
Life Member
Life Member

Post by zeebaron » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:55 pm

armedpolak wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:52 pm
Honestly I don't give a flying f/;k about storage laws.
Your home insurance might, heh.

armedpolak
Life Member
Life Member

Post by armedpolak » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:58 pm

zeebaron wrote:
armedpolak wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:52 pm
Honestly I don't give a flying f/;k about storage laws.
Your home insurance might, heh.
Fine. It would be as much or less than what's in my two cars when topped off...
Can't a guy store 20-30 gallons in a free country damn it?!?

dieselbeef
Life Member
Life Member

Post by dieselbeef » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:58 pm

you nailed it..perfect plan..implement...repeat...b ready...plastic cans not steel. altho I use both and reuse my steel cans from our racing gas and theyre good forever so you could but dumping gas from a jerry can sucks ass
im the other gary...

"The right and the decision to carry a weapon for your own defense is a horrible blessing".

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein

Dave M
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Dave M » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:11 pm

I buy 40 gallons of non ethanol gas when I see a Storm form off the coast of Africa become a category 1, that might be 2 weeks to a month after June 1st. Less time to store the gas. Store it in my garage after hurricane season dump it in the cars. Keep non ethanol in the generator and run the generator for 15-20 min every month with a load on it of a freezer, or refrigerator. Have not had to use any stabilizer in it yet. Generator and chainsaws use the same process and start with one pull, if not get them fixed to work that way, I'm not pulling my guts out trying to start it when I need it. I;m with armedpolock, do what needs to be done to make your life easier for the next one, the insurance company is sitting in A/C and could care less about your safety, just about their bottom line.

rug357

Post by rug357 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:14 pm

I've kept regular ethanol gas with stabilizer from May to November and it was fine. It ran my cars, generator and pressure cleaner without any negative effect.
One question...how much are you willing to spend to buy everything like generator, A/C, etc.?
Fools learn from experience, intellegent person learns from experience of others.
She may not be of my flesh and blood but she is of my heart and soul.

armedpolak
Life Member
Life Member

Post by armedpolak » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:19 pm

rug357 wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:14 pm
I've kept regular ethanol gas with stabilizer from May to November and it was fine. It ran my cars, generator and pressure cleaner without any negative effect.
One question...how much are you willing to spend to buy everything like generator, A/C, etc.?
pretty penny ;)
i hate buying cheep junk... looking at AC units in $400-$500 range for my master bedroom. thinking about Honda generator or next best thing. plus electrician fees for the wiring. fuel and cans are cheap by comparison. let's just say i don't want to go cheap only to find out s';t ain't starting or ain't enough to run a fridge and cable model :P
i would say i'm comfortable spending $1500 +/- $500 on getting the house ready for the next one. was talking with SWMBO and we both agreed that if we only had fridge, few lights and fans, and AC for ONE bedroom things would have been exponentially better; i already had gas for grill and we have a 2 burner portable gas kitchen which we used for few days, so we're pretty well set on the food prep front (will get more gas cans for kitchen/grill) but the fridge was a disaster after 2 days of no power; sleep was worse in 88*F bedroom with no breeze despite all windows being open [smilie=012.gif]

rug357

Post by rug357 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:33 pm

armedpolak wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:19 pm
rug357 wrote:
pretty penny ;)
i hate buying cheep junk... looking at AC units in $400-$500 range for my master bedroom. thinking about Honda generator or next best thing. plus electrician fees for the wiring. fuel and cans are cheap by comparison. let's just say i don't want to go cheap only to find out s';t ain't starting or ain't enough to run a fridge and cable model :P
i would say i'm comfortable spending $1500 +/- $500 on getting the house ready for the next one. was talking with SWMBO and we both agreed that if we only had fridge, few lights and fans, and AC for ONE bedroom things would have been exponentially better; i already had gas for grill and we have a 2 burner portable gas kitchen which we used for few days, so we're pretty well set on the food prep front (will get more gas cans for kitchen/grill) but the fridge was a disaster after 2 days of no power; sleep was worse in 88*F bedroom with no breeze despite all windows being open [smilie=012.gif]
You can run what you want with 3,000 watt inverter generator which will be much more efficient with fuel. They are also very quiet compared to regular generator. Learn about basic power management. You don't run the generator all the time...about 8 hours during the night and maybe 4 hours during afternoon. You can run 3KW inverter generator for 12 hours on less than 3 gallons of gas. Bad news...last time I checked a new Honda 3,000 watt inverter generator cost $2k+
Fools learn from experience, intellegent person learns from experience of others.
She may not be of my flesh and blood but she is of my heart and soul.

armedpolak
Life Member
Life Member

Post by armedpolak » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:35 pm

rug357 wrote:
armedpolak wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:19 pm
rug357 wrote:
pretty penny ;)
You can run what you want with 3,000 watt inverter generator which will be much more efficient with fuel. They are also very quiet compared to regular generator. Learn about basic power management. You don't run the generator all the time...about 8 hours during the night and maybe 4 hours during afternoon. You can run 3KW inverter generator for 12 hours on less than 3 gallons of gas. Bad news...last time I checked a new Honda 3,000 watt inverter generator cost $2k+
Then I guess I'll buy American :-)

Can you recommend a brand/model?

zeebaron
Life Member
Life Member

Post by zeebaron » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:47 pm

The new 3000 watt Harbor Freight inverter generator is getting good reviews:

https://www.harborfreight.com/3500-watt ... 63584.html

The 3100 watt Champion inverter is popular too:

https://www.costco.com/Champion-DUAL-FU ... 84958.html

dieselbeef
Life Member
Life Member

Post by dieselbeef » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:07 am

gezzus rice..you cheap asses aren't gonna get what ya need with a 3k Chinese pos from harbor freght. sack up and spend the money. ya got 30k in guns and ya want a 3oo$ pos generator..for god sake man buy it right the first time. get 15k. back feed it and run yer house ..Christ already
im the other gary...

"The right and the decision to carry a weapon for your own defense is a horrible blessing".

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein

photohause
Life Member
Life Member

Post by photohause » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:35 am

Why don't you just buy a gen that runs on BOTH metro & LP. LP is a lot safer to store.
There are MANY out there at the same price as metro only.
What new gun my dear, this old thing?

cubanstang50
Contributor
Contributor

Post by cubanstang50 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:47 am

dieselbeef wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:07 am
gezzus rice..you cheap asses aren't gonna get what ya need with a 3k Chinese pos from harbor freght. sack up and spend the money. ya got 30k in guns and ya want a 3oo$ pos generator..for god sake man buy it right the first time. get 15k. back feed it and run yer house ..Christ already
Some of us are listening trust me [smilie=011.gif]. I did just that today lol.
3rd Battalion/8th Marines Kilo Co.

To locate, close with and destroy the enemy by fire and maneuver or to repel his assault by fire and close combat.

zeebaron
Life Member
Life Member

Post by zeebaron » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:11 pm

dieselbeef wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:07 am
Well, I have like $600 in guns right now. So I'd gladly take a maintained $300 Harbor Freight P.O.S. then the present state of nothing at all.

10MMGary
Life Member
Life Member

Post by 10MMGary » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:23 pm

zeebaron wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:11 pm
Well, I have like $600 in guns right now. So I'd gladly take a maintained $300 Harbor Freight P.O.S. then the present state of nothing at all.
Can't argue with your logic for your situation.
When people ask me "do your dogs bite?", I tell them of course my dogs bite, all dogs bite. The question should be will your dogs bite me?

zeebaron
Life Member
Life Member

Post by zeebaron » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:46 pm

PRI-G is a better rated product that I've been using for almost 2 decades now for seldom-used vehicles and gas storage, but it is about $20 a bottle (more like $30 if you order online):

http://priproducts.com/wp-content/uploa ... -Flyer.pdf

https://www.amazon.com/PRI-G-Fuel-Stabi ... B0000AXY97

They also make one for diesel:

http://priproducts.com/retail-consumer/

Orlando Paulitician
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Orlando Paulitician » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:04 pm

Just proportionately cycle through all your gas throughout the year by using it each month in your vehicle and refilling the gas cans.

Gas stored a year added with a little stabyl should be fine.
Nathan Lewis' testimony before congress wrote: According to a study of 775 floating currencies...the average life expectancy of a floating fiat currency was found to be 27 years.
Ron Paul's Farewell Address wrote:Real patriotism is the willingness to challenge the government when it's wrong,