Cops Drag Man off United Flight

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Cardboard_killer
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Cops Drag Man off United Flight

Post by Cardboard_killer » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:41 pm

What about the other emergencies HE was preventing by not accepting that someone had to get off the f'ing plane and his number was it? Sounds like a fat cat that believed he was too important to get bumped and found out he wasn't. The airline should send him a bill for getting blood on their plane.
Brian
Early Merging Causes Traffic Jams

playswithstyrene

Post by playswithstyrene » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:45 pm

United has quite the [smilie=042.gif] sandwich to bite on with this brouhaha.
“A lack of planning on your part doesn’t constitute an emergency on mine.”

firemedic2000
Contributor
Contributor

Post by firemedic2000 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:57 pm

That's another way of looking at and I guess he found out differently. Either way I wonder if he'll try it again [smilie=011.gif]
Ranger Airborne, Firefighter, Oath Keeper, NRA If you support Terrorist including not protesting their actions or defending their rights you are my enemy
Energetically will I meet the enemies of The Constitution and Bill of Rights both foreign and domestic. I shall defeat them on the field of battle and totally and utterly destroy them

TeeJay
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by TeeJay » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:22 pm

I fly quite a bit. Flew out this morning, 2 more flights next week. This is some bull-S. you sold seats on the plane and you want to kick paying customers off for employees. Most people cant just say oh well and put a flight off for another day. Put the damn employees on a different flight, a different airline, whatever. United airlines sucks. I stick with Southwest as much as possible. As a frequent flyer and business traveler southwest has more than earned my business.

And yeah, some people hate southwest since they dont do assigned seats and they are too dumb to just grab a seat.

Either way, i hope united enjoys the bad press and i hope he sues the hell out of them.

FfNJGTFO
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by FfNJGTFO » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:44 pm

TeeJay wrote:I fly quite a bit. Flew out this morning, 2 more flights next week. This is some bull-S. you sold seats on the plane and you want to kick paying customers off for employees. Most people cant just say oh well and put a flight off for another day. Put the damn employees on a different flight, a different airline, whatever. United airlines sucks. I stick with Southwest as much as possible. As a frequent flyer and business traveler southwest has more than earned my business.

And yeah, some people hate southwest since they dont do assigned seats and they are too dumb to just grab a seat.

Either way, i hope united enjoys the bad press and i hope he sues the hell out of them.
United will argue that it was essential to deadhead that crew on that flight to accommodate the following flight the deadheaded crew was supposed to service in Louisville. Otherwise, more than just those 4 people would have been inconvenienced because no crew would have been available to operate that flight. Does that make it right? Of course not, but that's what they'll argue, and quite successfully.

Furthermore, After hearing a legal expert on the Dana show tonight, I doubt seriously that any such lawsuit against United would be successful. Not for being "bumped," that is. It's in the "contract of carriage" that they have the right to do that. Now, he (victim) might have a case for the "excessive force" by the security officer. And we see that, already, that officer has been put on "administrative leave." And yes, it has kicked up a huge [smilie=042.gif] storm, both in broadcast and social media.

United will be criticized for trying to be cheap. They initially offered $800.00 and a hotel room for anyone that would voluntarily give up their seat. When there were no takers, they started bumping. They could have offered a bit more... and more... until they hit someone's price point. And they would have. Delta offered a traveler $4000.00 not to fly, recently. Yes, it would have cost UA a little more... But what's it going to cost them now to defend against the lawsuit that is surely forthcoming... and for the settlement of that lawsuit. And the bad publicity as a result.... _:

N4KVE
Life Member
Life Member

Post by N4KVE » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:37 pm

If they offered CASH instead of credit on that airline, they would have more takers. I don't fly often, but they always look for people to give up seats for a credit for the next flight. Well those credits have an expiration date, & maybe the next time I fly, I need to use a different airline. But like they say, CASH IS KING. GARY

tector
Life Member
Life Member

Post by tector » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:45 pm

Flying has turned to s';t.
SE FL gunshow calendar: http://goo.gl/g0HdM

It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.-Swift

Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Learned Hand

captain steinbrenner
Life Member
Life Member

Post by captain steinbrenner » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:59 pm

No [smilie=042.gif] [smilie=011.gif]
Death solves all problems, no man, no problem. Joseph Stalin

Cardboard_killer
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Cardboard_killer » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:19 pm

I haven't flown in years and the last time I did, I saved my money up and went first class. It was worth it. I should be able to travel again in 10 years or so.
Brian

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:36 pm

With almost 75 % of tickets being non refundable these days why are they still allowed to over sell flights...

also Federal Agents ( LE ) on official business, can show up at the last min on any domestic carier and take however many seats they need.
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

flcracker
Life Member
Life Member

Post by flcracker » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:21 pm

philasteen wrote:Step back for a second and I see two sides to this.

It is clear that bumping (i.e., being involuntarily denied boarding) is allowed and it's not just by airline policy it is actually by Federal law and Department of Transportation regs. It is always a risk, and it happens.

If the airline asks you to get off the plane, even if you don't like it, you have to. Period, full stop. It's their plane and the rules allow the airline to do it. The quid pro quo is the passenger must be compensated.

If you refuse to get off,then law enforcement has to come, and someone ends up getting dragged off the plane screaming. No different than when someone refuses to vacate a premise when trespassing.
The level of force that can be used to remove a trespasser is still subject to the reasonable person test.
You're inviting criminal and civil litigation if you body slam and physically drag someone from your front yard who is simply sitting there on the ground peacefully, yet refusing to leave. Similarly, the bar owner who's bouncer bodyslams the quiet drunk off his barstool and physically drags him out of the bar one minute after closing time can expect some sort of repercussion.
and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!

GunsandHoses

Post by GunsandHoses » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:27 am

I wonder if he really IS a doctor or just plays one on airplanes? This also could have been avoided on the plane if they had figured it out at the gate!

itsme

Post by itsme » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:52 am

The doctor sounded like a little girl the way he screamed as they dragged him away

cubanstang50
Contributor
Contributor

Post by cubanstang50 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:17 am

I would have traded spots with this guy! I am gonna need an armored truck to deliver the money to my house!
3rd Battalion/8th Marines Kilo Co.

To locate, close with and destroy the enemy by fire and maneuver or to repel his assault by fire and close combat.

captain steinbrenner
Life Member
Life Member

Post by captain steinbrenner » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:42 am

Has anybody seen the whole video?
Dude got cunty and got what he deserved.. [smilie=011.gif]
Death solves all problems, no man, no problem. Joseph Stalin

Cardboard_killer
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Cardboard_killer » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:44 am

itsme wrote:The doctor sounded like a little girl the way he screamed as they dragged him away
Yeah, and he claimed they were racially profiling him because he was Chinese! =:wvr
Brian

ParishM
Life Member
Life Member

Post by ParishM » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:57 am

[smilie=011.gif] [smilie=011.gif]

I have enough money to last me the rest of my life, unless I buy something.

flcracker
Life Member
Life Member

Post by flcracker » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:53 pm

As noted in many posts and stories about this incident, there are no rules regarding the amount or type of compensation that an airline may offer to someone who volunteers to be bumped. Involuntary bumping is another story:

https://www.transportation.gov/airconsumer/fly-rights
Involuntary Bumping

DOT requires each airline to give all passengers who are bumped involuntarily a written statement describing their rights and explaining how the carrier decides who gets on an oversold flight and who doesn't. Those travelers who don't get to fly are frequently entitled to denied boarding compensation in the form of a check or cash. The amount depends on the price of their ticket and the length of the delay:

If you are bumped involuntarily and the airline arranges substitute transportation that is scheduled to get you to your final destination (including later connections) within one hour of your original scheduled arrival time, there is no compensation.
If the airline arranges substitute transportation that is scheduled to arrive at your destination between one and two hours after your original arrival time (between one and four hours on international flights), the airline must pay you an amount equal to 200% of your one-way fare to your final destination that day, with a $675 maximum.
If the substitute transportation is scheduled to get you to your destination more than two hours later (four hours internationally), or if the airline does not make any substitute travel arrangements for you, the compensation doubles (400% of your one-way fare, $1350 maximum).
If your ticket does not show a fare (for example, a frequent-flyer award ticket or a ticket issued by a consolidator), your denied boarding compensation is based on the lowest cash, check or credit card payment charged for a ticket in the same class of service (e.g., coach, first class) on that flight.
You always get to keep your original ticket and use it on another flight. If you choose to make your own arrangements, you can request an "involuntary refund" for the ticket for the flight you were bumped from. The denied boarding compensation is essentially a payment for your inconvenience.
If you paid for optional services on your original flight (e.g., seat selection, checked baggage) and you did not receive those services on your substitute flight or were required to pay a second time, the airline that bumped you must refund those payments to you.
Like all rules, however, there are a few conditions and exceptions:

To be eligible for compensation, you must have a confirmed reservation. A written confirmation issued by the airline or an authorized agent or reservation service qualifies you in this regard even if the airline can't find your reservation in the computer, as long as you didn't cancel your reservation or miss a reconfirmation deadline.
Each airline has a check-in deadline, which is the amount of time before scheduled departure that you must present yourself to the airline at the airport. For domestic flights most carriers require you to be at the departure gate between 10 minutes and 30 minutes before scheduled departure, but some deadlines can be an hour or longer. Check-in deadlines on international flights can be as much as three hours before scheduled departure time. Some airlines may simply require you to be at the ticket/baggage counter by this time; most, however, require that you get all the way to the boarding area. Some may have deadlines at both locations. If you miss the check-in deadline, you may have lost your reservation and your right to compensation if the flight is oversold.
As noted above, no compensation is due if the airline arranges substitute transportation which is scheduled to arrive at your destination within one hour of your originally scheduled arrival time.

If the airline must substitute a smaller plane for the one it originally planned to use, the carrier isn't required to pay people who are bumped as a result. In addition, on flights using aircraft with 30 through 60 passenger seats, compensation is not required if you were bumped due to safety-related aircraft weight or balance constraints.

The rules do not apply to charter flights, or to scheduled flights operated with planes that hold fewer than 30 passengers. They don't apply to international flights inbound to the United States, although some airlines on these routes may follow them voluntarily. Also, if you are flying between two foreign cities -- from Paris to Rome, for example -- these rules will not apply. The European Commission has a rule on bumpings that occur in an EC country; ask the airline for details, or go to http://ec.europa.eu/transport/passengers/air/air_en.htm [external link].

Airlines set their own "boarding priorities" -- the order in which they will bump different categories of passengers in an oversale situation. When a flight is oversold and there are not enough volunteers, some airlines bump passengers with the lowest fares first. Others bump the last passengers to check in. Once you have purchased your ticket, the most effective way to reduce the risk of being bumped is to get to the airport early. For passengers in the same fare class the last passengers to check in are usually the first to be bumped, even if they have met the check-in deadline. Allow extra time; assume that the roads are backed up, the parking lot is full, and there is a long line at the check-in counter.

Airlines may offer free tickets or dollar-amount vouchers for future flights in place of a check for denied boarding compensation. However, if you are bumped involuntarily you have the right to insist on a check if that is your preference. Once you cash the check (or accept the free flight), you will probably lose the ability to pursue more money from the airline later on. However, if being bumped costs you more money than the airline will pay you at the airport, you can try to negotiate a higher settlement with their complaint department. If this doesn't work, you usually have 30 days from the date on the check to decide if you want to accept the amount of the check. You are always free to decline the check (e.g., not cash it) and take the airline to court to try to obtain more compensation. DOT's denied boarding regulation spells out the airlines' minimum obligation to people they bump involuntarily. Finally, don't be a "no-show." If you are holding confirmed reservations you don't plan to use, notify the airline. If you don't, they will cancel all onward or return reservations on your trip.
and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!

TampaShooters
Life Member
Life Member

Post by TampaShooters » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:02 pm

First, yes he should have complied and fought another time and place. Airlines have allot of other resources to compensate you as well as placing you on a competing flight from another carrier.

Second, they knew they overbooked, yet allowed him to board and get seated... That is totally unacceptable. Why didn't they stop the process at the gate? They f'd up.

Years ago I flew alot from CA to NV and bumped every chance I had, loved getting free tickets, money, and food vouchers.
Member: NRA Lifetime & GSSF
Glock Armorer
U.S. Navy Veteran (Gator Navy)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

czharry
Life Member
Life Member

Post by czharry » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:36 pm

There was a very short news blurb on the noon news. They said that the "doctor" has numerous drunk related arrests.
There's a storm coming.