Firearms industry (advice needed )

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Jonathanw
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Firearms industry (advice needed )

Post by Jonathanw » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:15 pm

Update: over the past year I've spent countless hours researching, designing and more research. I have changed my plan since I made this post last year. I'm now seeking a business degree as I plan to build my own in the coming years. Since the post I have had dozens of deigns to try address various issues in firearms and ammunition that I wanted to address or simply make a better version of existing designs. Many designs were scrapped due to issues with patentability and flaws in the design. However there are a couple that worked and are viable candidates for the industry. Over the past several months I learned the patent process and had one filed by my attorney in August, I have several more I'll be filing myself after I write up paperwork and have more drawings done.

I do have a question though, If I manufacture/assemble my own completed Upper receivers(non serialized part) that are specified in my upcoming patents, do I need to registered as an 07 or it's just like manufacturing firearms accessories and parts ?

Thank you

John K
Administrator
Administrator

Post by John K » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:22 pm

Non-serialized, non-nfa specific parts don't require an FFL. But MAY fall under AECA/ITAR

Jonathanw
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jonathanw » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:24 pm

John K wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:22 pm
Non-serialized, non-nfa specific parts don't require an FFL.

Thank you [smilie=cheers1.gif]

BIG JOE

Post by BIG JOE » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:29 pm

Get your MSME first. Then get certified as a PE. Any CNC or Cad will also be needed. You can't build it if you can't design it.
That PE is your ticket to what ever you might want do in the future . My nephew went to UF after that I had my boot up his ass to get a PE. He will be 30 years old in December. He works for GE in Atlanta as a fan turbine engineer. Once you get older you can stay home and seal drawings for cash. No kids until you finish the first part, Good luck.
BIG JOE
Ft Lauderdale, Fl

jjk308
Life Member
Life Member

Post by jjk308 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:33 am

Get a BS in Engineering. It's worth a LOT MORE than an AA degree.
I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a sestertius in any one day.

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:12 am

Jonathanw,
I was Director of the Arms Lab at USRAC/Winchester. PM me your phone number if you want and I'd be happy to talk to you about my experiences in the firearms industry..
Aaron
outside of a dog, a gun is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to shoot.

Jonathanw
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jonathanw » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:27 am

Does anyone have knowledge on getting Government grants for R&D funding and the process? I'd like to see if that's an option to help the projects develop

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:01 pm

It's an art, rather than a science to get government grants.
Most folks I know have profesional writers to do that.
Aaron
outside of a dog, a gun is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to shoot.

rug357

Post by rug357 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:10 pm

Jonathanw wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:27 am
Does anyone have knowledge on getting Government grants for R&D funding and the process? I'd like to see if that's an option to help the projects develop
There are professional government grant writers who knows the "rules" and know how to play the "game" for success but their services are very expensive. Writers also specialize in specific fields like social service program grants, local government program grants, etc. and they would know other areas where funding could be available for client's areas of work. Without their knowledge it would be very difficult to get any grants.
Fools learn from experience, intellegent person learns from experience of others.
She may not be of my flesh and blood but she is of my heart and soul.

Jonathanw
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jonathanw » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:05 pm

Spent some time looking into what's required. Once I file/register my business soon, I believe I'll be eligible. My designs are actually covered in the topics they(DOD) are looking for so I'll write my proposal to the best of my ability based on what I can find and submit it. Can't hurt to try. I just won't rely on that small chance of being accepted.

Next open date is January so I have some time to work on that avenue