Service organizations not changing with the times

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Skoll

Re: Service organizations not changing with the times

Post by Skoll » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:44 pm

flcracker wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:03 pm
I think you guys are onto something. 10-ish years ago I joined the neighborhood CERT Community Emergency Response Team. The first speed bump was a local fire department who had to follow the direction of the city manager and city council to develop a CERT team but did not want to have civilians involved in their fiefdom. At some point I was asked to be the leader / chairman president or whatever. It took about 3 weeks after that before a couple of folks in their 40s who were living off of disability started swinging there Richards and Virginias, in preparation for their future run for City Council. The BS that got shoved back towards me took me about 2 more weeks to say screw this I'm out of here. There are way too many people who are able to spend their day being activist and busybodies because you and I are going to work making sure that they get their check and have free time during the day while we are going back and forth to the J O B
The first mistake here is the fire department thinking they're not civilians.
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted.”

pokeeejoe
Life Member
Life Member

Post by pokeeejoe » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:59 pm

Having already had a carreer in the service, I'm not interested in re-enlisting. This fat old guy has better things to do.

regards,
Joe

chuckusaret

Post by chuckusaret » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:42 pm

Retired Army, retired Pratt and Whitney Aircraft, retired Dept of Transportation and now can say I don't want to be in charge of anything. I find it to be different in my VFW, and American Legion post, no one wants to be in charge.

George W
Life Member
Life Member

Post by George W » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:56 pm

Late to the party.....
In the 50's, WWII Vets didn't want Korea Vets because they didn't fight in a "real war." They were later begged to join once money started to die off.

The Vietnam Vets were shunned by the Korea and WWII vets because they were a bunch of pot smoking hippies. They were begged to join once the WWII and Korea Vets started to die off, and money started to run out.

The Gulf War Vets were shunned by the last breed of WWII Vets and the Korea Vets (Vietnam Vets were still shunned out of leadership.) They were begged to join once the money started to die off.

Now the GWOT guys are shunned by the Vietnam and the few Gulf War Vets allowed in. Now, they're begging them to join as the money is dying off.

The majority of Gulf War Vets and GWOT Vets don't give a s';t for the most part. They don't want to sit in a shitty, dark, smoke filled hole with a bunch of drunks and civilians that only come in for the cheap drinks. They either start their own clubs, or stay away entirely. The ones that actually made it in, decided to make the clubs more family friendly, pissing off the old guys.

The Veteran community eats their own as bad or worse than any other demographic. I used to go to the AL when I was active duty in Germany. Since 95% of the post was AD, it worked out. When I got out, me and some of my Veteran friends were told point blank that we weren't welcome by the Post Command staff. Those very same people actually came to my door about 10 years later wanting me to join their brotherhood and acting puzzled when I told them to f/;k off.
Half of my resolutions to problems come with a cold sweat somewhere around 2 am.

dammitgriff

Post by dammitgriff » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:58 am

Perhaps the American Legion and Veterans of Foreign Wars have outlived their usefulness.
Seems like the entire country has converted into a pro-veteran, pro-foreign-war, pro-military country anyway. Everybody but Uncle Sam seems to worship vets.
R/Griff

MARKAR

Post by MARKAR » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:28 pm

George W wrote:Late to the party.....
In the 50's, WWII Vets didn't want Korea Vets because they didn't fight in a "real war." They were later begged to join once money started to die off.

The Vietnam Vets were shunned by the Korea and WWII vets because they were a bunch of pot smoking hippies. They were begged to join once the WWII and Korea Vets started to die off, and money started to run out.

The Gulf War Vets were shunned by the last breed of WWII Vets and the Korea Vets (Vietnam Vets were still shunned out of leadership.) They were begged to join once the money started to die off.

Now the GWOT guys are shunned by the Vietnam and the few Gulf War Vets allowed in. Now, they're begging them to join as the money is dying off.

The majority of Gulf War Vets and GWOT Vets don't give a s';t for the most part. They don't want to sit in a shitty, dark, smoke filled hole with a bunch of drunks and civilians that only come in for the cheap drinks. They either start their own clubs, or stay away entirely. The ones that actually made it in, decided to make the clubs more family friendly, pissing off the old guys.

The Veteran community eats their own as bad or worse than any other demographic. I used to go to the AL when I was active duty in Germany. Since 95% of the post was AD, it worked out. When I got out, me and some of my Veteran friends were told point blank that we weren't welcome by the Post Command staff. Those very same people actually came to my door about 10 years later wanting me to join their brotherhood and acting puzzled when I told them to f/;k off.
This guy knows of what he speaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk