Need a new AC system - Trane or York

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
neverenoughguns
Contributor
Contributor

Need a new AC system - Trane or York

Post by neverenoughguns » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:20 pm

Any advice or suggestions? The above are the two brands we are presently considering.

Rebel

Re: Need a new AC system - Trane or York

Post by Rebel » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:05 pm

I've had a great experience with reliability and efficiency of Trane.
Never owned a York system.
Aaron
outside of a dog, a gun is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to shoot.

870Mike
Life Member
Life Member

Post by 870Mike » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:47 pm

"Send lawyers & money...have enough guns." - 870Mike

ParishM
Life Member
Life Member

Post by ParishM » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:26 am

Rebel wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:05 pm
I've had a great experience with reliability and efficiency of Trane.
Never owned a York system.
Aaron

Trane was once an industry leader but their quality has significantly
dropped in the last 10+ years !

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeowners/trane.html
I have enough money to last me the rest of my life, unless I buy something.

556pro
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by 556pro » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:46 am

i have a payne. trane bought them out but part of the deal was they had to keep making units under the name. so they just put a payne sticker on a trane unit but there less $$$$

jjk308
Life Member
Life Member

Post by jjk308 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:04 am

OMG! The idiots you link to put Goodman FIRST! They have the absolute worst failure and customer service record of any AC company. A year ago they were bought out by Daikin, a Japanese company and the quality has declined even more since then.
THEY SUCK!

I'd say try this website, but they have an excessive number of complaints - dissatisfied customers are very over represented, maybe because it isn't survey based. But it may give you a good idea of what particular models to avoid.
https://www.furnacecompare.com/air-cond ... s/reviews/
I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a sestertius in any one day.

ParishM
Life Member
Life Member

Post by ParishM » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:15 am

i'm a huge fan of the Mitsubishi ductless units, a friend has one in
his house and loves it. he has one outside condenser unit and 4-5
inside evap (air handler) units and only runs the ones needed instead
of one main blower trying to cool the entire house like standard split units.

captain steinbrenner
Life Member
Life Member

Post by captain steinbrenner » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:00 pm

I’m a big fan of Trannys.....I mean Trane, like I was Rent or something..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Death solves all problems, no man, no problem. Joseph Stalin

firemedic2000
Contributor
Contributor

Post by firemedic2000 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:21 pm

Trane 100% mine lasted 21 years. Just replaced the return only the outside unit is still going strong. The only thing I've seen them do is replace the coils with aluminum.

They were copper which you could repaired if it was minor but not any more. But they all use aluminum now I guess.

Plus I had 20 lbs of r22 to recharge my unit with. Because my outside unit uses it. Does not matter with return. When out side unit goes replace it and put new freon in it.
Ranger Airborne, Firefighter, Oath Keeper, NRA If you support Terrorist including not protesting their actions or defending their rights you are my enemy
Energetically will I meet the enemies of The Constitution and Bill of Rights both foreign and domestic. I shall defeat them on the field of battle and totally and utterly destroy them

firemedic2000
Contributor
Contributor

Post by firemedic2000 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:24 pm

ParishM wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:15 am
i'm a huge fan of the Mitsubishi ductless units, a friend has one in
his house and loves it. he has one outside condenser unit and 4-5
inside evap (air handler) units and only runs the ones needed instead
of one main blower trying to cool the entire house like standard split units.
Heard good things about those units for large homes. For smaller homes maybe....
Ranger Airborne, Firefighter, Oath Keeper, NRA If you support Terrorist including not protesting their actions or defending their rights you are my enemy
Energetically will I meet the enemies of The Constitution and Bill of Rights both foreign and domestic. I shall defeat them on the field of battle and totally and utterly destroy them

jwillgym
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jwillgym » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:37 pm

Trane is pretty trouble free. The new plastic cases sometimes have cabinet sealing issues that end up being corrected with duct tape. It's an ugly fix but it works. Can't believe that website listed GOODMAN as #1, it's a crap brand.
IYAOYAS

chuckusaret

Post by chuckusaret » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:09 pm

I installed a Trane 4.5 ton AC in 2005, Compressor replaced Jan. 2018 and air handler fan motor last week. Note the thermostat has been set on 72degrees since unit was installed and runs almost 24/7.

firemedic2000
Contributor
Contributor

Post by firemedic2000 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:15 pm

We think alike 74° here [smilie=011.gif] except when my sneaky wife turns it up to 76 or 78 degrees.

I have a friend that owns an a commercial ac business. My unit went out he was out the very next morning recharged it. I want it to last till winter when his business was slow. I then just had him replace the return, replaced in January. Since I just had the return replaced and not the outside unit. I was able to use the R-22 I had. Even with the new return.

He charged me 1500.00 for the unit. Installed out the door. Actually it was less but I gave his workers tips and HESS trucks for their kids. Next will be the ourside unit. Then I'll have to use the new refrigerant.

When that happens I have pretty much a 20 lb bottle of the R-22 refrigerant I'll sell if anybody needs it.

patw
Life Member
Life Member

Post by patw » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:34 pm

I have had a Trane for the past 14 years with little to no complications/problems. The only I have replaced is a couple capacitors due to critters short circuiting them. I have a friend who installs units and I trust him fully. I was told that a Trane used to be the best but there are others that are just as good now. Out of the 2 you have chosen, I would go with Trane although I have no experience with the other brand.

Augdawg

Post by Augdawg » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:34 pm

I tried this website as posted https://www.furnacecompare.com/air-cond ... s/reviews/ and in the top ten A/C's for 2017, Goodman had 3 in the top ten. Also there were complaints not only for Goodman but also the others mentioned in this thread. I had a RUUD for 17 years and worked like a charm until Irma knocked it out. Replaced it with a Goodman and so far working like a charm. Hope my luck holds out.

BIG JOE

Post by BIG JOE » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:53 pm

The Mitsubishi ductless units work very well. They are some times called mini splits. You can cool just the area you are using and you don't have to cool the areas your not using. Ruud, Rheem and Carrier are now manufactured in Mexico. Trane used to be top of the line and you paid more for it.
Ask your neighbors and friends what they are using. Ask them who they used and how is their service. For every 10 AC companies 9 of them suck.
If your air quits in August you want someone that will show up now and fix the issue the first time. If you call for service after 5:00 PM you will pay the overtime rate and the chances that the technician has the correct part on his truck is unlikely. Good luck and let us know what happens.
BIG JOE
Ft Lauderdale, Fl

ParishM
Life Member
Life Member

Post by ParishM » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:54 pm

unfortunately new a/c's are not made the same as they were 12-17
years ago !

jjk308
Life Member
Life Member

Post by jjk308 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:48 am

ParishM wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:54 pm
unfortunately new a/c's are not made the same as they were 12-17
years ago !
Some are better. Trane had a series of problems back then.

On mini-splits AVOID DAIKIN ! They are made in Thailand and suck.

Mini splits can save you $$$ on AC costs but its at the expense of complexity. I'm not sure of Mitsubishi but the electronic controls and troubleshooting system on Daikin are too complex, too prone to failure and you are better off replacing the affected unit than trying to fix it.
I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a sestertius in any one day.

g.willikers
Life Member
Life Member

Post by g.willikers » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:48 am

We just had a new Trane installed yesterday.
So far so good. [smilie=021.gif]
We didn't so much choose the AC brand as the company installing it.
They have provided us with excellent service for many years.
We figured that was more important than who actually made the AC.
Especially now with most everything coming from China anyway.
If it was up to me, instead of you-know-who, I'd just use window units.
Then when something failed, it would be simple to toss the offending unit and replace it.
And the house wouldn't even be affected all that much, since it's unlikely more than one would fail at the same time.
"Don't take life so serious, son, it ain't nohow permanent."

Mighty Hd
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Mighty Hd » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:35 am

At my old house, the Lennox lasted 20 years and was undersized by about 1 ton. Ran 24 seven in the summertime. It was replaced with an Amana/ Goodman. And I’ll be damned, that was a fine air conditioning unit. Kept the house ice cold and was completely trouble free. Of course it has to do with the installation.

When we moved, the house had a carrier 4 ton That was on it’s last leg. The air handler was rusted, the compressor was noisy as marbles in a Coke bottle. It ran, and ran well. Now keep in mind when the unit turned on it will pool so much power the Lights in the house would dim on a 200 amp panel.

I replaced it with a carrier two-stage unit with a variable speed air handler. My electric bill is around $120 a month, I keep it 75 all day, indoor humidity stays around 40%. It runs about 90% of the time in low speed and the compressor only kicks in high-speed around 330 to 4 o’clock and stays there for about 45 minutes.

Overall I’m happy with the carrier unit. It’s made it to a Honeywell prestige 2.0 thermostat