Gunsmith that can blueprint a rifle

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
creophus
Executive Member
Executive Member

Gunsmith that can blueprint a rifle

Post by creophus » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:42 am

Anybody know of a gunsmith/machine shop that blueprints bolt actions and ar-15s? I'm hoping they will be in the Tampa area, but don't want to sacrifice quality for location.

neverenoughguns
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Gunsmith that can blueprint a rifle

Post by neverenoughguns » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:45 am

creophus wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:42 am
Anybody know of a gunsmith/machine shop that blueprints bolt actions and ar-15s? I'm hoping they will be in the Tampa area, but don't want to sacrifice quality for location.
Call Dow in Dade City. He is highly recommended for accuracy upgrades.

Flame Red
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Flame Red » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:00 pm

+1 for Bruce Dow. I don't know if he blue prints, but he is the best for accurate bolt actions in Central Florida.
Dirty Harry doesn't play any favorites! Harry hates everybody!

rug357

Post by rug357 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:16 pm

I'm curious why you feel the need to blueprint/true your action?
Are there issues with the current action that makes you believe it needs to be trued?
Fools learn from experience, intellegent person learns from experience of others.
She may not be of my flesh and blood but she is of my heart and soul.

creophus
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by creophus » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:31 pm

rug357 wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:16 pm
Are there issues with the current action that makes you believe it needs to be trued?
I'm asking for a friend who wants to build the most accurate rifles on the planet.

rug357

Post by rug357 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:47 pm

creophus wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:31 pm
rug357 wrote:
I'm asking for a friend who wants to build the most accurate rifles on the planet.
Just my $0.0002 worth but...

then I would suggest starting off with a custom action as the price would not be much different than buying an action and then getting it trued. Having the action trued correctly is not cheap. You'll get better resale value later with custom action than trued factory action rifle if you want to sell it and move on to something else.

I'm not sure if anybody can really say truing an action will result in better accuracy. I've seen some amazing accuracy out of rifles built with factory action that were not trued. Instead of getting the action trued they paid a lot of attention and effort was made to bed the action correctly and install top quality barrels and finally spend time and effort on top quality components to develop and load target rounds.
Fools learn from experience, intellegent person learns from experience of others.
She may not be of my flesh and blood but she is of my heart and soul.

g.willikers
Life Member
Life Member

Post by g.willikers » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:15 am

Since any lack of performance of a rifle is usually caused by the shooter, not the gun:
He might benefit more from going to a rifle shootin' school than over thinking the rifle.
Just a thought.
"Don't take life so serious, son, it ain't nohow permanent."

jjk308
Life Member
Life Member

Post by jjk308 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:19 am

rug357 wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:47 pm
creophus wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:31 pm
rug357 wrote:
Just my $0.0002 worth but...

then I would suggest starting off with a custom action as the price would not be much different than buying an action and then getting it trued. Having the action trued correctly is not cheap. You'll get better resale value later with custom action than trued factory action rifle if you want to sell it and move on to something else.

I'm not sure if anybody can really say truing an action will result in better accuracy. I've seen some amazing accuracy out of rifles built with factory action that were not trued. Instead of getting the action trued they paid a lot of attention and effort was made to bed the action correctly and install top quality barrels and finally spend time and effort on top quality components to develop and load target rounds.
+1 I'd start with what rug says in the last paragraph, develop the best load and learn to shoot as well as I possibly can. Then and only then think about a fully custom rifle.
I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a sestertius in any one day.

photohause
Life Member
Life Member

Post by photohause » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:06 pm

g.willikers wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:15 am
Since any lack of performance of a rifle is usually caused by the shooter, not the gun:
He might benefit more from going to a rifle shootin' school than over thinking the rifle.
Just a thought.
Baddah-Bing^^^^^^^^^^
What new gun my dear, this old thing?

creophus
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by creophus » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:12 pm

Good stuff to chew on!!

dieselbeef
Life Member
Life Member

Post by dieselbeef » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:13 pm

s3 customs in Bradenton
im the other gary...

"The right and the decision to carry a weapon for your own defense is a horrible blessing".

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein