lost the rear sight elevator for my 336 rc

Lever guns, hunting guns, black powder, plinkers, rifle scopes, spotting scopes, night vision, sling shots, bows 'n arrows, knives and anything else that doesn't fit anywhere else!
dieselbeef
Life Member
Life Member

lost the rear sight elevator for my 336 rc

Post by dieselbeef » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:44 pm

the rc part is important apparently since it is a .062 think elevator not the standard 085 or 120 or whatever cuz it wont fit...

the slot in the elevator is real thin..cant find one ..numrich/midway/brownells..even the dam marlin forum wasn't much help

anyone...idk wtf happened to it but I have another 336 I took one off to try and it isn't the same ...so far I find the rc is an odd biiitch dammmmit
im the other gary...

"The right and the decision to carry a weapon for your own defense is a horrible blessing".

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Re: lost the rear sight elevator for my 336 rc

Post by Rentprop1 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:16 pm

Hold on belt sander 5 seconds each side.....problem solved
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

dieselbeef
Life Member
Life Member

Post by dieselbeef » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:29 pm

I might end up filing the one I got but that's so half asssed
im the other gary...

"The right and the decision to carry a weapon for your own defense is a horrible blessing".

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein

dieselbeef
Life Member
Life Member

Post by dieselbeef » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:29 pm

whats a good replacement setup besides a scope...don't wanna scope it..
im the other gary...

einstein

TC6969
Life Member
Life Member

Post by TC6969 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:55 pm

I had the same problem and ended up using one from a Daisy BB gun.

Worked fine. YMMV
Late mergers should be shot in the face, then set on fire and hung from an overpass. /:f

Odessaman
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Odessaman » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:59 pm

I put these on a couple of my Marlins - like 'em alot. They're not cheap, but still a fraction of the cost of a scope & rings, and very good for my aging eyes.

http://www.skinnersights.com/
~ Odessaman ~

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
― Mark Twain

dieselbeef
Life Member
Life Member

Post by dieselbeef » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:10 pm

I looked at those but then ya need to change the front sight..or maybe ya don't..well wtf...that's handy aint it...order it..install it...shoot it...figure out it don't work..order another front sight...o its too short after I installed and shot it..order another one.f that
im the other gary...

einstein

Odessaman
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Odessaman » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:31 pm

Skinner tells you how to avoid that problem by calculating the proper front sight height.

http://www.skinnersights.com/technical_info_17.html
CLICK THIS LINK FOR AN ONLINE CALCULATOR
TO FIGURE SIGHT CHANGE AMOUNTS

FRONT SIGHT HEIGHT CALCULATOR
OR... Figure it yourself with the following equation.

When you are unable to adjust the rear sight to work for your rifle because the rifle shoots high you will need a taller front sight. To eliminate the guesswork, you can calculate the additional height needed using the procedure below.
1. Shoot your rifle at a known range (say 50 yards). Note the distance you need the impact to change (say 6 inches lower).
2. Measure the sight radius of your rifle (22 inches on most Marlins).
3. The change needed is calculated by changing all measurements to inches then multiply the sight radius by the desired change in impact and divide that product by the range in inches.
4. The result is the additional height needed for the front sight. To get the height of the new front sight add the current height and the calculated number from (3).
Example:
I need to shoot 6 inches lower at 50 yards with my 1894, 44 Mag. With a 22 inch sight radius. My current front sight is .350” tall from the bottom of the dovetail to the top of the sight.
50 yards = 50X36=1800 inches
Desired height change is = 22 (sight radius)X6 (desired change)/1800(range)=.073 inches. My new front sight needs to be .350+.073 or .423 inches tall.

OR.... MAKE IT SIMPLE

To move the impact at 100 yards on a Marlin rifle with a 20" barrel requires .006" of sight change. (front or rear)

For example:

If you are shooting 6" low at 100 yards, your front sight needs to be "Trimmed" .036" shorter or the rear stem turned up 1 1/2 turns.

If you are shooting 6" high at 100 yards your front sight needs to be .036" taller or the rear stem turned down 1 1/2 turns. (If your stem is already at the lowest position a taller front sight is required)

If you are shooting at a shorter range than 100 yards adjust accordingly.

50 yards = 2 times the change needed. (.012" for 1" correction)
25 yards = 4 times the change needed. (.024" for 1" correction)
~ Odessaman ~

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
― Mark Twain

dieselbeef
Life Member
Life Member

Post by dieselbeef » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:33 pm

midway had a .050 thick one...that should fit..i hope...
im the other gary...

einstein