Gun Safe in Florida Garage advice

Lever guns, hunting guns, black powder, plinkers, rifle scopes, spotting scopes, night vision, sling shots, bows 'n arrows, knives and anything else that doesn't fit anywhere else!
Texasbob

Gun Safe in Florida Garage advice

Post by Texasbob » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:02 am

Moving to central Florida in a few months looking for advice concerning putting my gun safe in the Garage. Issues with high temperate, humidity, best practices. I was thinking about putting a ½ wood strip under the mounting bolts to raise it off the concrete floor, no direct metal to floor contact.

dieselbeef
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Gun Safe in Florida Garage advice

Post by dieselbeef » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:13 am

metal on the floor is the least of yer worries..the humidity is the real problem. I wouldn't have mine in a garage...anything off the floor will harbor mice/snakes/spiders/lizards as well
im the other gary...

"The right and the decision to carry a weapon for your own defense is a horrible blessing".

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein

gforester
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by gforester » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:58 am

You really want that safe in the house or some other air-conditioned place. You must have no idea how bad the humidity is in central Florida. It is so bad that I sometimes get fungus growing on the tools in my toolbox inside my backyard workshop.

Hotspur
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Hotspur » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:39 am

I had a gun safe in the garage for many years without the hint of a problem. Just place a low-wattage bulb in the safe --- connected, of course --- and that should take care of humidity. A small spike in the FPL bill, but more than worth it. Of course, this is northeast Florida, so ymmv.

dieselbeef
Life Member
Life Member

Post by dieselbeef » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:08 am

if your anywhere there might be any salt vapor in the air then it it totally out of the question...heat lamp or not...I have been told the heat lamp will cause problems in the wood..but I cannot verify that
im the other gary...

"The right and the decision to carry a weapon for your own defense is a horrible blessing".

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein

mgunner

Post by mgunner » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:10 pm

I use one of those safe heater rods and damp rid but not in garage , someone I know has in garage but he built wooden enclosure around it with a locked door so anyone walking by can not see a safe in opened garage.

deathpriest
Contributor
Contributor

Post by deathpriest » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:09 pm

My safe has been in the garage in CF for over a year. Bolted to the floor, 2 dryer rods in. No ill effect, yet. I can live with checking the equipment every month or so.
Before placing the equipment in, it was lubed and some of the less used pieces are in silicone socks
Blessings,
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
**Infidel**

Srasel79
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Srasel79 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:40 am

I wouldn't do it due to the humidity and the high temperature

butcharoot
Contributor
Contributor

Post by butcharoot » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:02 pm

Had mine in the garage at one time and used pieces of foam impregnated with vapor corrosion inhibitor. I changed them out every so often, had no problems. Here's a link, Butch

http://www.cortecvci.com/Products/Packa ... ducts.html

Texasbob

Post by Texasbob » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:25 am

butcharoot wrote:Had mine in the garage at one time and used pieces of foam impregnated with vapor corrosion inhibitor. I changed them out every so often, had no problems. Here's a link, Butch

http://www.cortecvci.com/Products/Packa ... ducts.html

Thanks for the suggestion I will look into the stuff, must be the modern version of MIL-C-11796C Class 3

"Cosmoline"