do all speedloaders suck?

Lever guns, hunting guns, black powder, plinkers, rifle scopes, spotting scopes, night vision, sling shots, bows 'n arrows, knives and anything else that doesn't fit anywhere else!
dieselbeef
Life Member
Life Member

do all speedloaders suck?

Post by dieselbeef » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:54 am

ive got 5 or 6 ..differing brands. they all are almost useless crap. except for the big s/w revolvers they either typically hit the latch for the cylinder and Cockadoodledoo sideways just enough for the rds to not slide in
doesn't matter if its for the 38 or the 357. the big frame guns aren't as bad but the j frames forget it

idk..jus saying...junk
im the other gary...

"The right and the decision to carry a weapon for your own defense is a horrible blessing".

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein

AirForceShooter
Life Member
Life Member

Re: do all speedloaders suck?

Post by AirForceShooter » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:02 am

You pretty much nailed it..

Fastest for me has always been speed strips.

AFS
There is something charming about the sound of bullets-----George Washington

Beck77

Post by Beck77 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:27 pm

I have never had any luck with them with anything but large revolvers. I much prefer the speed strips for spare ammo since they are flat in my pocket.

mmalone

Post by mmalone » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:52 pm

Jerry would disagree [smilie=bigsmile.gif] skip to 0:57

https://youtu.be/WzHG-ibZaKM

Beck77

Post by Beck77 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:33 pm

That looks like a moon clip that Jerry used there, totally different than the normal HKS and Safariland type speed loaders that the OP is talking about. I love moonclips since you just toss them in the cylinder and go. Still impressive as hell to do that in 2.9 seconds but way easier than using speed loaders.

dieselbeef
Life Member
Life Member

Post by dieselbeef » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:23 am

yea but moonclips don't fit everything...some guns don't have room for em. and they don't seem as good for pocket carry to me..i have tried em but don't own any...
are there different kinds?
im the other gary...

"The right and the decision to carry a weapon for your own defense is a horrible blessing".

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein

Trouter3

Post by Trouter3 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:16 pm

Have you tried 5 Star speedloaders, I use em for my Taurus judge using both .45 colt and .410 ammunition, they aren't cheap, run about $15-20 each but very well made and they work flawlessly ....

dieselbeef
Life Member
Life Member

Post by dieselbeef » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:33 pm

I just found out about them on firing line forum...theyre 22 bucks on amazon..idk tho..im just gonna give up on it for the jframe unless I mod the latch..gotta find a source for a repl one to screw with
im the other gary...

einstein

NonConformist
Life Member
Life Member

Post by NonConformist » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:49 pm

I never had issue w/ a model 66. Iirc on j frames the cylinder doesn't open far as it should to utilize them right. If you set the loader right to begin with
"Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by their love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap or easy conquest." -From the Declaration of the Continental Congress, July 1775.

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry" -Thomas Jefferson