Binoculars for the range?

Lever guns, hunting guns, black powder, plinkers, rifle scopes, spotting scopes, night vision, sling shots, bows 'n arrows, knives and anything else that doesn't fit anywhere else!
grahng

Binoculars for the range?

Post by grahng » Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:06 pm

I want a pair of binoculars for the range, 100 yards max with .22. I am looking at a pair of 10x42 Nikon and Bushnells, roof prism, the high on this size to get dielectric coatings, ED glass, etc. I have chosen roof styles as they are a smaller package compare to the Poro design.
My question is, through those that may have experience, will I be able to see .22 holes at 100yds?
I don't want a spotting scope.
Thanks guys,
Jerry

Skeezix
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Binoculars for the range?

Post by Skeezix » Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:54 pm

Choosing a target with a good contrast (white or orange) would help,
Also, I would get one that you can mount on a tripod.

grahng

Post by grahng » Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:29 pm

I have a small pair of Bushnells from Walmart, 12x25. I taped up a target from the range with .22 holes in and looked at it from about 80yds. I could make the holes out, but kinda like barely. I'm wondering if increasing the objective size to the 42mm would pull more light in to make a diff. I suppose I would need to use the shoot n see targets and maybe the 10x42 bios would work. For sure on the tripod. Hmmm.
Thanks for you r reply.

Dave P
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Dave P » Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:03 pm

Walmart is good for optics, since you can get your money back when they fail you.

Most everyone uses a quality spotting scope on a stand. 22 holes are still hard to see. Dirty Bird type splatter targets are a big help.

Big NO vote for any binoculars - good luck.
Go Trump!

P5 guy
Life Member
Life Member

Post by P5 guy » Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:00 am

http://www.telescope.com/Shop-by-Brand/ ... 90/115.uts

I have three from these guys and have been very pleased with their performance. I can just see 5.56 bullet holes at 100 yards in bright light.
[smilie=pdt_xtremez_30.gif]

TC6969
Life Member
Life Member

Post by TC6969 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 4:41 pm

I actually went and bought some 10X Steiner's in a misguided attempt to not have to deal with a spotting scope.

I now have a Celestron spotting scope.

The Steiner's are the Mercedes Benz of binoculars, but if you want to see 5.5MM holes in a piece of paper at 100yds, get a spotting scope!
Late mergers should be shot in the face, then set on fire and hung from an overpass. /:f