Maybe dumb scope question but I have to ask

Lever guns, hunting guns, black powder, plinkers, rifle scopes, spotting scopes, night vision, sling shots, bows 'n arrows, knives and anything else that doesn't fit anywhere else!
gilfo

Maybe dumb scope question but I have to ask

Post by gilfo » Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:49 pm

This is my dilemma . I am right handed but left eye dominant. Just started to get into rifles. I put a scope on my Ruger American 22 bolt action and have been shooting right handed using my right eye for the scope. I have been told that the best way to shoot a scoped rifle with my cross eyed dominance would be to shoot with the rifle left shoulder mounted. Problem is I just can't get comfortable shooting that way. Which brings me to my question. Do they make a magnified red dot scope that would afford me the opportunity to shoot with both eyes open but with the ability to see clearly say out to 200 yards like a standard scope?

Short version do they make a red dot that is magnified like a scope?

Thanks all.

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Maybe dumb scope question but I have to ask

Post by Rentprop1 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:26 pm

Magnification in red dots exist however a red dot will not correct an eye dominant issue....you need to train your brain....I would get an eye patch or in a pinch a business card will block your left eye held in place by glasses ( safety or prescription ) ....shoot right handed as normal....
1. learn to close and hold closed your left eye for extended periods of time..like while watching tv or in a waiting room somewhere....not advisable to attempt while driving or riding in a car ( car sick real quick because no depth perception )
2. Try shooting left handed ....most people never give it a shot...it can help with the train your brain , to separate dominance .....you may find out you are a better shot....you also have to start using your left hand for things ( train your brain ) ...start opening doors and reaching for things with left hand, try hammering or using a screwdriver or other exercises using only your left hand.
3. Every time you go shooting shoot left handed first then switch to right
When you find out you no longer need the eye patch or card....your cured, who knows you might end up an ambidextrous shooter.
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

mgunner

Post by mgunner » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:30 pm

check out The iScope, mounts iphone to scope and use video screen.

DaveM
Life Member
Life Member

Post by DaveM » Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:35 pm

I'm backward as well, being left handed/right eye dominant. Telling me to train my eye is like telling me to change hands to pee. It ain't happening. Leaning over a .22 to shoot it wrong eye is fine. Don't try it with a hi power rifle.

The least expensive way to go is to use an eye blinder. It blocks your dominant eye allowing you to shoot with the weak eye.

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:27 pm

DaveM wrote: is like telling me to change hands to pee.
I feel sorry for you short guys who don't have to use 2 hands [smilie=011.gif]

its not an eye issue, it a brain and muscle issue ...

when done right you will become an awesome ambidextrous shooter and if you take it a step further... ambi in just about everything, I can bat, swing a club, throw, shoot, grab , lift, and PEE with both hands equally....I just never mastered how to write with my left well enough but I almost have my signature down and that might be all I need one day.
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

DaveM
Life Member
Life Member

Post by DaveM » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:06 am

She asked me, Who you gonna please with that little thing? I replied, ME! [smilie=011.gif]

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:42 am

I always tell them it may be short but at least it's not skinny....it's fat like a coke can and some chick's like that