FFL/manufacturing licensing question

Lever guns, hunting guns, black powder, plinkers, rifle scopes, spotting scopes, night vision, sling shots, bows 'n arrows, knives and anything else that doesn't fit anywhere else!
Jonathanw
Contributor
Contributor

FFL/manufacturing licensing question

Post by Jonathanw » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:59 am

Hey I have a question regarding the FFL/manufacturing laws to gain a better understanding of our laws, hopefully some members with such licensing can chime in.

Hypothetically speaking; If a company only manufactures upper receivers or other non regulated parts and receiver flats/80% receivers in shop and sell/ship directly to customers as a package, are they required to get FFL and firearms manufacturers licensing? Or do they just have to deal with local/state regulations?

Thanks in advance

Jon

This retains to any firearm, not just the AR platform *

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Re: FFL/manufacturing licensing question

Post by Rentprop1 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:04 am

yes must be a 07 Manufacturer

now there is a discussion right now going on about assembling pre made parts into a complete rifle and if thats considered manufacturing, but thats even over my head, the bottom line there hasn't been any ruling by ATF or DDTC

stick with someone who has a license
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

Jonathanw
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jonathanw » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:09 am

Rentprop1 wrote:yes must be a 07 Manufacturer

now there is a discussion right now going on about assembling pre made parts into a complete rifle and if thats considered manufacturing, but thats even over my head, the bottom line there hasn't been any ruling by ATF or DDTC

Thanks [smilie=cheers1.gif]

NorincoKid

Post by NorincoKid » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:53 pm

Jonathanw wrote:Hypothetically speaking; If a company only manufactures upper receivers or other non regulated parts and receiver flats/80% receivers in shop and sell/ship directly to customers as a package, are they required to get FFL and firearms manufacturers licensing? Or do they just have to deal with local/state regulations?

That surprises me.....FFL required to make non-serialized gun parts?

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:00 pm

the and receivers, flats and 80%, to which I assumed he was talking about making them into firearms which requires a license, just to sell parts, flats, and 80% no , guess I miss read it ](*,)

uppers and part, all that stuff only requires is a business license in the county , hence the AR guys at gun shows with uppers, complete uppers, bolts stocks etc
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

Jonathanw
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jonathanw » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:20 pm

Rentprop1 wrote:the and receivers, flats and 80%, to which I assumed he was talking about making them into firearms which requires a license, just to sell parts, flats, and 80% no , guess I miss read it ](*,)

uppers and part, all that stuff only requires is a business license in the county , hence the AR guys at gun shows with uppers, complete uppers, bolts stocks etc
I'm disappointed rent, providing me false information [smilie=011.gif] I probably could have worded it better to

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:20 pm

You better just stick to the safari gig right now and put cnc and illegal firearms manufacturing on the back burner [smilie=011.gif]

However jail in Africa is probably just like jail here...lots of brothers...

Jonathanw
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jonathanw » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:50 pm

Rentprop1 wrote:You better just stick to the safari gig right now and put cnc and illegal firearms manufacturing on the back burner [smilie=011.gif]

However jail in Africa is probably just like jail here...lots of brothers...
It's a shame, you'd be happy taking my place. I was told you like being in small spaces surrounded by brothers [smilie=011.gif]

molivo
Life Member
Life Member

Post by molivo » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:12 pm

I thought that had been brought to rest? Assembly from premade parts = not manufacturing?
Altar Arms - 01 FFL , NFA/SOT Dealer(772)497-6550
20$ Transfers for FSN members for Title 1 Firearms, 75$ Title 2!
Located in Fort Pierce, FL

I BUY PREBAN AR15'S! PM ME!

See us on Gunbroker.com! AltarArms
http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx?In ... rs=2086140

Jonathanw
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jonathanw » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:13 pm

molivo wrote:

I thought that had been brought to rest? Assembly from premade parts = not manufacturing?
He misread my question and corrected himself

Sweep

Post by Sweep » Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:36 am

heres the jist of it if its a completed lower or is a striped reciver and you slap a full upper on it you must pay the mfg excise tax thats why joe sells lowers and tim sells uppers if its a stripped or completed lower lower itself its a Incomplete gun no tax.... uppers and parts and 80% lowers need no lisc to mfg or sell .The reason i am no longer allowed to rent you my shop tools is because some one got the idea of selling all the componants to folks then renting the cnc to zip out the other 20% with the purchaser pushing the button making them the mfg and getting around the tax and back ground checks /:f we americans are inovative but the gov is right on our coat tails closing the doors behind us [smilie=012.gif]
Democrat's for Trump ...Anybody but Hillery even Jack the Dog !
Full service FFL/SOT manufacturer
Thermo Arms Inc FFL07/SOT
http://www.thermoarms.com/
727-776-4274

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:21 am

I have an idea for a mobile ghost gun manufacturing RV party type bus for gun guys , roll around town in a air conditioned RV complete with strippers and big screen TV and let the ghost gunner finish your lower while you play, never in the same place twice [smilie=033.gif] ....who thinks it would fly ??

[smilie=011.gif] [smilie=011.gif]

NorincoKid

Post by NorincoKid » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:24 am

Rentprop1 wrote:I have an idea for a mobile ghost gun manufacturing RV party type bus for gun guys , roll around town in a air conditioned RV complete with strippers and big screen TV and let the ghost gunner finish your lower while you play, never in the same place twice [smilie=033.gif] ....who thinks it would fly ??

[smilie=011.gif] [smilie=011.gif]

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:30 am

you obviously don't know how I roll.