Savage 7mm-08 Trophy Hunter XP Package - Opinions Welcome

Lever guns, hunting guns, black powder, plinkers, rifle scopes, spotting scopes, night vision, sling shots, bows 'n arrows, knives and anything else that doesn't fit anywhere else!
itsnunya
Executive Member
Executive Member

Savage 7mm-08 Trophy Hunter XP Package - Opinions Welcome

Post by itsnunya » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:50 pm

All,

I am considering getting my son a Savage Trophy Hunter package in 7mm-08 as a hunting rifle for the upcoming deer season. It would come with a Nikon Prostaff 3x9x40 scope. I have no experience with that round or Savage rifles, so would appreciate any opinions from those here. I have read various reviews around the net, but figured I would seek some local input from a hunting deer in Florida/Georgia perspective.

I do not want to spend a good bit on a rifle for him if he does not end up enjoying the sport. This would be an introductory rifle for him.

Thanks,

Bill
NRA Life Member

czharry
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Savage 7mm-08 Trophy Hunter XP Package - Opinions Welcome

Post by czharry » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:49 am

Something to consider, is if the ammo is common and be purchased anywhere.
Why not loan him a rifle to see if he likes the sport. When I was in high school, my GF's father invited me to go hunting with him. Never been before. I used a borrowed rifle for the 3 day weekend, and I did enjoy the sport, using that rifle for a few weekends. About a month later I bought my own 30-06.
What if my father (non-hunter) bought me a gun and ammo was hard to get easily, or after a couple of outings, I just left it in the closet because hunting just didn't interest me?
I'd have one pissed off dad.
There's a storm coming.

rug357

Post by rug357 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:29 pm

I'm not sure if you or your son has any experience with the 7mm-08 round but it has a pretty good kick. It shoots a 150gr load @ 2650fps which is not far off from 308 Winchester's 150gr @2800fps. Also, that Savage Trophy Hunter rifle with the plastic stock is pretty light so it doesn't absorb the recoil very much. If he can handle the recoil of 7mm-08 without problem then I think he could handle the recoil of 308 Winchester round. Another choice would be the 260 Remington round which does recoil less and is still very effective round for deer or hog anywhere in US. If you don't reload both 7mm-08 and 260 Remington can be difficult to find at your local gun shop or Walmart and when you do find it price will be high. I personally would go with the 243 Winchester as it has mild recoil and is effective for deer and hog. The 100gr bullet will be effective for any big game around here. Finally the ammo is easy to find anywhere and prices are very reasonable but some of the "cheap" ammo is very accurate and effective. I have couple of Savage rifles and I like them a lot but prices on new ones are not as "cheap" as they were even few years ago. I would look for a used rifles first and see what's out there in your area. Pawn shops frequently have several hunting rifles at very reasonable price. Finally, I would try to buy just the rifle and then buy a good scope and mounting system separately. A good rifle with nice scope mounted with cheap mounting system is not going to work well. You can always move the scope to different rifle later.
Fools learn from experience, intellegent person learns from experience of others.
She may not be of my flesh and blood but she is of my heart and soul.

LastRites
Life Member
Life Member

Post by LastRites » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:33 pm

Well I'd say Rug pretty nailed it! Just curious Itsnunya, how old and how large is your son?