Which Red Dot sights do you recommend?

Lever guns, hunting guns, black powder, plinkers, rifle scopes, spotting scopes, night vision, sling shots, bows 'n arrows, knives and anything else that doesn't fit anywhere else!
Jeepsnguns
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jeepsnguns » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:25 pm

Things are getting worse as far as the eye sight goes.
My aging eyes are becoming problematic to the point of taking away the enjoyment of casual shooting.
My distance glasses dont allow me to see my sights, my progressive glasses (reading/computer terminal/conversational) dont allow me to see the target.
I have a cheap set of Tasco red dot sights on a pellet gun that I can see fairly well with my progressives.
Which is why I'm leaning towards a Red Dot.
I have a T/C Contender 10" .357 hand gun with stock sights that are useless.
Which Red dots do you old codgers, (or young bucks) recommend ?
"If you put your nose really close to the screen and inhale deeply while reading these, you can almost taste the crazy." Waldo1

cigardad

Re: Which Red Dot sights do you recommend?

Post by cigardad » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:54 pm

Hard to beat an Aimpoint but they are expensive. Primary Arms makes a clone that is affordable and I would start there to see if they work for you.

chris6424
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by chris6424 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:26 am

Aimpoint, very durable, unbelievable battery life.

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:19 pm

it depends on what gun you wanna put it on, Burris makes the Fast Fire line and the FF 2 are getting really low in price now that the FF 3 have been out for a while
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

krimmie

Post by krimmie » Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:00 am

Ive been thinking of putting one on my AR, I have it narrowed between the primary arms micro dot MD-ADS($169), and the Vortex Sparc II (a bit under $200). I have a 3-9x40 vortex that I've been really impressed with, and add their unlimited lifetime warranty, I'm leaning towards the Sparc.

Jeepsnguns
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jeepsnguns » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:16 am

Rentprop1 wrote:it depends on what gun you wanna put it on, Burris makes the Fast Fire line and the FF 2 are getting really low in price now that the FF 3 have been out for a while
The Burris FF is on my list.
Initially I will be mounting it on a 10" T/C Contender .357 BBL, if it works out well for me I'll eventually get another one to mount on a 1911.
I compiled a list yesterday from the 2015 Natchez Shooters Supply catalog just as a starting point.
Prices are all over the place, is this one of those items where you definitely get what you pay for?
This is my list of possibilities with dot size MOA listed in parenthesis.

Ultradot LT (4 MOA) $297.

Burris FF 3 (3 MOA) $249.

Burris FF2 (4 MOA) $209.

Redfield Accelerator $199.

Bushnell First Strike (5 MOA) $136.

Hilux/Leatherwood (4 MOA) $127.

Weaver Microdot $95.

TruGlo (2.5-5 MOA) $65.

In you guys experience and or product knowledge, should any of these be deleted from the list right off the bat?
"If you put your nose really close to the screen and inhale deeply while reading these, you can almost taste the crazy." Waldo1

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:39 am

dont even consider the tru glo [-( , waste of money

Burris FF2 was in the $ 160 range last week at Aim or one of the other surplus places

the FF3 replaced the FF2 which I have on a Saiga 12, and they say the FF3 can handle even more recoil that the 2 [smilie=eek.gif] , best thing about the 3 is you can get to the battery easier, I'm still on my original battery after 2 years though , so consider that....grab at least one at that price
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.