Opinions on Laser Bore sights

Lever guns, hunting guns, black powder, plinkers, rifle scopes, spotting scopes, night vision, sling shots, bows 'n arrows, knives and anything else that doesn't fit anywhere else!
lucy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Opinions on Laser Bore sights

Post by lucy » Sat May 23, 2015 11:51 am

I need a laser bore sighter and am looking for opinions on the these units:

http://www.amazon.com/EconoLed-Caliber- ... sight+tool

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-Laser-Bore- ... 2edfaa7f17

czharry
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Opinions on Laser Bore sights

Post by czharry » Sat May 23, 2015 12:22 pm

I have a device similar to that. It fits in the end of the barrel to set up a scope.
Found out that it won't work for crap on rifles that have a flash hider/compensator.
If I were to do it again, I would research the bore sights that fit in the receiver.
There's a storm coming.

better2have&notneed
Contributor
Contributor

Post by better2have&notneed » Sat May 23, 2015 8:46 pm

czharry wrote:I have a device similar to that. It fits in the end of the barrel to set up a scope.
Found out that it won't work for crap on rifles that have a flash hider/compensator.
If I were to do it again, I would research the bore sights that fit in the receiver.
+1 on czharrys comment.

I got a .223 laser bore sight that goes in the chamber off ebay, it was like $10. I had some doubt about it, but was consistently two inches from the bullseye at 75 yards after taking it out of the chamber and rotating it a quarter turn a few times. Also it was only visible that far at dusk.

The laser like in your links cost me $50 a few years back...

flcracker
Life Member
Life Member

Post by flcracker » Sat May 23, 2015 9:39 pm

I have a similar one (red) that I bought at Walmart about 10 years ago that keeps on ticking. Won't shine 75 yds on a bright day but does fine at 50 yds in overcast conditions. Works just fine with my SEI Vortex "tuning fork" flash hiders - you just have to rotate it a bit to be sure you seat it evenly.
and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!

molivo
Life Member
Life Member

Post by molivo » Tue May 26, 2015 8:23 am

Laser bore sighters work pretty well for relatively short distances sighting in red dots. If your trying to sight in a regular magnified scope your better using one of the grid style bore sighters from busnell or BSA.
Altar Arms - 01 FFL , NFA/SOT Dealer(772)497-6550
20$ Transfers for FSN members for Title 1 Firearms, 75$ Title 2!
Located in Fort Pierce, FL

I BUY PREBAN AR15'S! PM ME!

See us on Gunbroker.com! AltarArms
http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx?In ... rs=2086140

ss1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by ss1 » Thu May 28, 2015 8:18 am

I've used them for quite a while. Not the best system as the "cap/battery holder/on/off" barrel sometimes falls out; however, it's really only designed to get you close enough that you are on paper dialing in at the range. I always remove any muzzle brakes, etc when using it. It will also not work on pistols with short barrels. Some "in the chamber" designs are a pain in the arse and you have to be careful closing the bolt.

creophus
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by creophus » Thu May 28, 2015 10:00 am

I've used several sighting methods. I like the cartridge type the best...when the battery is new they work best. The type that's listed above is handy for getting on paper, just be sure the laser isn't drooping or flopping around in the bore. AND BE SURE TO REMOVE IT BEFORE FIRING!

When I bore sight a bolt action rifle, I simply like to take the bolt out and look down the barrel. I've had great success doing this in the past. Check out this video where I bore sight a 458 win mag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dC107HmPsqk

boomboom
Life Member
Life Member

Post by boomboom » Thu May 28, 2015 3:07 pm

I use the Sightmark caliber specific cartridges.
Google pain in the ass and your picture should be there-sayeth my wife