sewing heavy leather

Lever guns, hunting guns, black powder, plinkers, rifle scopes, spotting scopes, night vision, sling shots, bows 'n arrows, knives and anything else that doesn't fit anywhere else!
Sweep

sewing heavy leather

Post by Sweep » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:59 am

Well after years of trying to get a scabbard made for my Aow i said f it and bought some leather. My first attempt convinced me i need a machine to sew much nicer stitch pattern. This has lead to the need for snaps rivets tools ect ect ,seems i had a lot lying around from my side car resto . Any suggestions on a reasonable machine to sew thur up to 1/2 inch leather ? I know some one here should have experience. Heres the start of a wild bunch rig im working on the knife currently .
The Shotty scabbard still needs white contrast stitching done & the tie-down and lower secured on the skirt yet . Buckle and belt or string tie on the leg ? Going with 2.5 ranger belt same oxblood as on the skirt & skirt strap gives a nice two tone with the brown holsters and pouches
Currently working on patterning and cutting out the tracker knife scabbard .......hand sewings a pain in the...

Democrat's still for Trump ..
Full service FFL/SOT manufacture
Pale Rider Co Inc FFL07/SOT
http://www.blingblingbangbangs.com
727-776-4274

Synaptic Misfire
Life Member
Life Member

Re: sewing heavy leather

Post by Synaptic Misfire » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:24 pm

You need a compound feed walking foot machine. Any shoe shop that sews soles should have one. Proper hand stitching will look just fine. I have done a lot of leather work in the past and still dabble in gear building.
"Maybe when we secede, we'll just take the Constitution with us.
Nobody in DC is using it anyway." -Joe C. Wales

Ronald Reagan brought down the 2nd most powerful nation in the world-the Soviet Union.
Barack Obama is trying to bring down the most powerful nation in the world-the United States of America

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:26 pm

boot repair places, there is one in downtown Brooksville if all else fails
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

czharry
Life Member
Life Member

Post by czharry » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:52 pm

And if it's an old shop, the shoe repair guy might know where to pick up a surplus machine.
They got them for used restaurant equipment, why not surplus leather sewing machines.
There's a storm coming.

Synaptic Misfire
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Synaptic Misfire » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:06 am

czharry wrote:And if it's an old shop, the shoe repair guy might know where to pick up a surplus machine.
They got them for used restaurant equipment, why not surplus leather sewing machines.
There is a guy in Sarasota who sells used machines, even used you are looking at over a $1000, another place to look would be Cameron's shop on 28th st in St. Pete. I have a machine that will push the needle through the leather but it will not run the size thread you want or the thickness of the work, mine tops at about 5/16". You can watch Craigslist, I have seen one on there in the last five years. The minimum thread size you want the machine to feed and tension is 207 for exposed leather work, for reference home machines will tension and feed up to 33, sometimes 46 and 69 if they are REALLY heavy duty. #69 is what is used in manufacturing heavy duty tactical gear on average. The real challenge is sewing the thickness, here is a link to the machine that alot of folks use, it is pneumatically powered.

http://www.tools4leather.com/03_tippman ... chine.htm#
"Maybe when we secede, we'll just take the Constitution with us.
Nobody in DC is using it anyway." -Joe C. Wales

Ronald Reagan brought down the 2nd most powerful nation in the world-the Soviet Union.
Barack Obama is trying to bring down the most powerful nation in the world-the United States of America

Dave P
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Dave P » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:51 pm

Got any horses down there? Saddle/harness shop might help you.
Go Trump!