how to pcik a red dot

Lever guns, hunting guns, black powder, plinkers, rifle scopes, spotting scopes, night vision, sling shots, bows 'n arrows, knives and anything else that doesn't fit anywhere else!
dieselbeef
Life Member
Life Member

how to pcik a red dot

Post by dieselbeef » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:41 pm

so many options..got a bushnell on my 30-30..it worked..for awhile..now i have no idea wtf happened but i cant hit chit with it...so im gonna start over

best way to pick one...red dots...holographic reflex ...wtf...i rweally only wanna spend 100-150 bucks at the most

its got a rail on top so mtg is taken care of
im the other gary...

"The right and the decision to carry a weapon for your own defense is a horrible blessing".

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein

Gregh181
Life Member
Life Member

Re: how to pcik a red dot

Post by Gregh181 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:42 pm

Look at the Primary Arms RD's. I've heard good things about their quality
Make Peace or Die - 1st Battalion/5th Marines - Machine Gunner

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one - Benjamin Franklin

tector
Life Member
Life Member

Post by tector » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:45 pm

Gregh181 wrote:Look at the Primary Arms RD's. I've heard good things about their quality
Thanks for the heads up.
SE FL gunshow calendar: https://goo.gl/GNyvTP

It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.-Swift

Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Learned Hand

LastRites
Life Member
Life Member

Post by LastRites » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:38 am

dieselbeef wrote:got a bushnell ..it worked..for awhile..now i have no idea wtf happened but i cant hit chit with it...so im gonna start over

So while you are buying something else why don't you test out Bushnell's customer service / warranty? They will replace it.

For me and red dots, I prefer one with the smallest dot possible. A 4moa dot at 200 yards blankets your entire target.

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:36 am

tector wrote:
Gregh181 wrote:Look at the Primary Arms RD's. I've heard good things about their quality
Thanks for the heads up.

I have 3 of the primary arms red dots, they were on sale on black Friday, normally about $ 100 they copy the aimpoint micro and mate up with any aimpoint mounts too
they are still only $ 80, run forest run

https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary-Arm ... -fbgii.htm
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

NonConformist
Life Member
Life Member

Post by NonConformist » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:56 pm

gte a Vortex SPARC, they can be had for $150, and they have a great warranty, literally anything goes wrong, they will fix it, PA only have a 30 day or something-

Vortex says-
"Lifetime. Unlimited. Unconditional. Vortex will repair or replace the product in the event it becomes damaged or defective. Absolutely free—no matter the cause!"
"Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by their love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap or easy conquest." -From the Declaration of the Continental Congress, July 1775.

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry" -Thomas Jefferson

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:07 pm

yeah but vortex crap breaks the PA stuff doesn't ...lol
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

NonConformist
Life Member
Life Member

Post by NonConformist » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:33 pm

Rentprop1 wrote:yeah but vortex crap breaks the PA stuff doesn't ...lol
I havnt heard too many issues with the Vortex, or PAs either
"Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by their love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap or easy conquest." -From the Declaration of the Continental Congress, July 1775.

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry" -Thomas Jefferson

dieselbeef
Life Member
Life Member

Post by dieselbeef » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:38 pm

bringin this back..no leo chit in here...anyways

I came across a tasco ..its a cheapie but its a 5moa. I wanna use it on my 3030 so it should be good enough I guess

what about a halographic sight or a reflex...like a eotech vs a scope style red dot..hope im not sounding stupid using the wrong terminology...don't know anything about em and nobody I know messes with the stuff like I do..id like to do more even ..but ya know...

so wahts a good rescource to check out a reflex and whats a reasonably priced one
im the other gary...

"The right and the decision to carry a weapon for your own defense is a horrible blessing".

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein

Big_Mike
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Big_Mike » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:17 pm

Might be a good idea.

Deo Favente Perennis.

dys·gen·ic [ dis jénnik ] - 1.detrimental to future generations: affecting later generations detrimentally by passing on undesirable characteristics

dieselbeef
Life Member
Life Member

Re: how to pick a red dot

Post by dieselbeef » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:33 pm

I guess what im asking is a flat one or a tube one

I got nothing there big mike
im the other gary...

einstein

Big_Mike
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Big_Mike » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:17 pm

I've never been fond of the eotech's, mainly because of the size of the optic and the large reticle on the ones I've shot with.

Of the scope style red dots I've shot, I really like having the ability to coowitness a small dot with my iron sights (pumpkin on a post) when making precision shots.

I've got a 2 power truglo red dot sight on my muzzle loader and I really like it.

I think either style will work for you though I think I'd prefer the big sight picture that the eotech style sites provide on a lever gun though.
Deo Favente Perennis.

dys·gen·ic [ dis jénnik ] - 1.detrimental to future generations: affecting later generations detrimentally by passing on undesirable characteristics

dieselbeef
Life Member
Life Member

Post by dieselbeef » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:17 am

on my 336 cant co witness as the sights too low for the dot...i think.

right now im going to try the tube tasco i just got...it was cheap enough that i bout got it for free..cant beat wheelin dealin right

anyways i like the idea of the big sq on that rifle...doesnt look like the reticle covers too much of the target at that distance..ya cant really tell but hes hitting it ok

thanks for the video and the 2 pics...that does help me out
im the other gary...

einstein

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:08 am

if you want something low, you could always look into Ultradot, they are primarily for pistols, but I use one on a rifle for the lo- profile look

http://www.ultradotusa.com/ultradotdist2010_002.htm

dieselbeef
Life Member
Life Member

Post by dieselbeef » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:10 am

i gotta try the cheekweld with the tasco..its cheap but the website says its goo enought recoil wise so we will see..
im the other gary...

einstein

LastRites
Life Member
Life Member

Post by LastRites » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:48 am

5moa dot is huge when your looking at something down range.

dieselbeef
Life Member
Life Member

Post by dieselbeef » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:44 pm

yeah i want soething with a 2 at least..but im usually shooting foxes or dogs or yotes so they show up just fine..usually its dusk around 100 yd shot or better tho

so ya think the window pane style is better or the tube style. the dot seems smaller on the tube ones ive looked into..they get down to a 1
im the other gary...

einstein

dieselbeef
Life Member
Life Member

Post by dieselbeef » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:08 pm

hey man that ultradot looks like the ticket. 1 moa..175 from optics planet...mts included..lifetime warranty

if the tasco dont pan out im on that
thanks
im the other gary...

einstein

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:51 pm

dieselbeef wrote:hey man that ultradot looks like the ticket. 1 moa..175 from optics planet...mts included..lifetime warranty

if the tasco dont pan out im on that
thanks
yeah the warranty is a no B.S.warranty too, I lost my battery cover ( my fault ) and they sent another for free