A little Kydex work..opinions wanted

Lever guns, hunting guns, black powder, plinkers, rifle scopes, spotting scopes, night vision, sling shots, bows 'n arrows, knives and anything else that doesn't fit anywhere else!
flashooter22
Life Member
Life Member

A little Kydex work..opinions wanted

Post by flashooter22 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:26 am

As some of you know I started playing with Kydex a little bit ago and have been working on getting my style, form, function and detail down. I get better every press but have a few down now that I think are worthy. Looking for opinions and suggestions. (dont worry my big boy pants are on!!)

First is a taco style minimal IWB holster. This is for my Glock 27 and I have been wearing it for a week and its comfy. Clip is poly plastic and nice and strong.

Next is a belt pancake style I made for my modded Ruger 22/45. I screwed up the cut a little and one loop is way too close to the edge. Also gonna work on my sight channels a little more.

The next couple are AR-15 magazine pouches. These are molded on a Pmag and have positive click in retention but are also tight enough to be used easily with a USGI magazine. I built these with the thought on using at the range or stashing in a go bag to be easily put on if needed. They use the same poly clip as the IWB holster and pop right on. The side rivets are also set so it belt loops will line right up as well if wanted. The are where the clip attaches is blocked out so the clip lines up and grips nice and tight. The mouth is also cut down a little and flared for easy insert. Im thinking of selling these for $25..what you guys think?
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats - H.L. Mencken

Odessaman
Life Member
Life Member

Re: A little Kydex work..opinions wanted

Post by Odessaman » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:48 am

Nice job on the IWB for your G27. Simple and practical.

Looks like you could use snap loops in place of the belt clip, as well?
Did you recess the screw backs to keep them from scratching the slide?
~ Odessaman ~

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
― Mark Twain

flashooter22
Life Member
Life Member

Post by flashooter22 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:14 pm

Yes you could change the clip to soft loops if you want. The attachment point is blocked out so the back of the screws do not touch the gun at all. I will take a couple more pictures later today

EDITED...
Here is the clip attachment on the holster. You can see how it was blocked out in the molding process. I have already gotten some ideas on changing that slightly to make it adjustable.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats - H.L. Mencken

Dave P
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Dave P » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:55 pm

Very nice work! Mine never came out as nice as those.
Go Trump!

lucy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by lucy » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:00 pm

What thickness are you using and how did you decide on it?

flashooter22
Life Member
Life Member

Post by flashooter22 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:09 pm

lucy wrote:What thickness are you using and how did you decide on it?
The IWB is .060. I decided on that to give the thinnest profile and most comfort. The other ones are .080. Little more strength for being exposed on the belt. I have a request to make a custom job for a coworker out of .90 or .125 if possible. Not sure how that will mold but it wont be visible [smilie=033.gif]

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:57 pm

is it possible to do a cell phone , like a protective slide in type ( would cover about 3/4 of the phone ), and still have some way to click it in ??

or is there something about the heat or pressure in the process that could damage the phone ???
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

Synaptic Misfire
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Synaptic Misfire » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:14 am

Rentprop1 wrote:is it possible to do a cell phone , like a protective slide in type ( would cover about 3/4 of the phone ), and still have some way to click it in ??

or is there something about the heat or pressure in the process that could damage the phone ???
I would say no given the temps (250 to 300) and the pressure exerted. It may be possible to hand mold a case, I am getting ready to try this on my Yaesu HT but it is a little more robust than a cellphone. I am going to make a pattern out of heavy paper and pre-cut the kydex, then heat it and while wearing heavy gloves wrap it around the radio.

Looking good shooter, looks professional!
"Maybe when we secede, we'll just take the Constitution with us.
Nobody in DC is using it anyway." -Joe C. Wales

Ronald Reagan brought down the 2nd most powerful nation in the world-the Soviet Union.
Barack Obama is trying to bring down the most powerful nation in the world-the United States of America

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:32 am

Synaptic Misfire wrote: I am getting ready to try this on my Yaesu HT but it is a little more robust than a cellphone. I am going to make a pattern out of heavy paper and pre-cut the kydex, then heat it and while wearing heavy gloves wrap it around the radio.

Looking good shooter, looks professional!
Bingo, thats what I was getting at, I was thinking how great it would be for an HT, most today have too many exposed buttons that get hit in a soft side case and its a PITA to keep locking and unlocking the key pad

I know several folks with the Baofengs that would be interested depending on price
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

flashooter22
Life Member
Life Member

Post by flashooter22 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:03 am

I'm not familiar with those but if they are too sensitive to press a wooden model can be made as well.

Google FTW.... Ok I see what you guys are talking about. It really depends on how robust those are if you press them. I would think if it's anything like my radio it shouldn't be a problem. The problem ( or advantage depending in how you look at it) is the molds are made for each model. Depending on variations, you may be able to fit others in it or maybe not. You would have to have the radio in hand for each mold.

Synaptic Misfire
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Synaptic Misfire » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:37 pm

I have some casting experience, my other thought was to make a plaster replica of the radio and use that.
"Maybe when we secede, we'll just take the Constitution with us.
Nobody in DC is using it anyway." -Joe C. Wales

Ronald Reagan brought down the 2nd most powerful nation in the world-the Soviet Union.
Barack Obama is trying to bring down the most powerful nation in the world-the United States of America

cj5mrt
Life Member
Life Member

Post by cj5mrt » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:24 pm

I think they look great!
I can explain it to you, but I cannot understand it for you.

BoerBoelGuy
Life Member
Life Member

Post by BoerBoelGuy » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:15 pm

Damm fine job sir, I know some of the best in the kydex business so let me know if you need an email addy and reference for pointers supply sources etc. You seem to have the bases covered staying thin and minimal remember to leave a hole on bottom or lower side for water drainage and/or compressed air as the debri caught up in kydex can scratch. again great work! /:f
AKA "Loandr."

flashooter22
Life Member
Life Member

Post by flashooter22 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:45 am

Thanks guys, have lots of time this week to work on some more! Going to attempt a light OWB holster for my G22 today .

flashooter22
Life Member
Life Member

Post by flashooter22 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:10 pm

Been a few months since I started and have gotten a lot better with my designs and built in features like retention screws.

Here is my OWB style belt holster:
Curve
IWB glock
Mora companion
Esee izula
M&P. OWB

BoerBoelGuy
Life Member
Life Member

Post by BoerBoelGuy » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:17 pm

Luvin the IWB and Mora, keep thinking minimal, f/;k yeah "lot better", your second gen rocks! very impressed.
AKA "Loandr."

flashooter22
Life Member
Life Member

Post by flashooter22 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:30 pm

Here is one I worked on today... Almost done.
Midsize Glock OWB in two tone red carbon fiber/ black. There is a matching dual mag carrier as well but it's not quite done yet.

LastRites
Life Member
Life Member

Post by LastRites » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:46 am

Digging the carbon fiber, please shoot some pictures of the set when you complete them...

flashooter22
Life Member
Life Member

Post by flashooter22 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:07 pm

LastRites wrote:Digging the carbon fiber, please shoot some pictures of the set when you complete them...
Just about done , waiting on a different style of belt loops for the mag carrier before it goes to its new home!

deathpriest
Contributor
Contributor

Post by deathpriest » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:38 pm

Nice!
Blessings,
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
**Infidel**