Ear protection?

Lever guns, hunting guns, black powder, plinkers, rifle scopes, spotting scopes, night vision, sling shots, bows 'n arrows, knives and anything else that doesn't fit anywhere else!
Kory
Executive Member
Executive Member

Ear protection?

Post by Kory » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:18 pm

What is the best ear protection? I am looking for a good in the ear type. By best I mean value and quality ( I have no problem spending money on good stuff) just not a small fortune. I am looking for recommendations from someone that tried or own a few and has an unbiased opinion.

For got to list use. Mostly for the range but I am getting into the run and gun stuff so they will need to stay put in pistol and rifle comps.
Kory
Tampa fl

Dr John Meade
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Ear protection?

Post by Dr John Meade » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:26 pm

Inexpensive and quite effective: Surefire EP3 or EP4 (almost the same thing).

I keep a few pair of these around, such as in the car, range bag, etc, for when I don't have my electronic muffs (or they might have died).
Dr John Meade
Emergency/Tactical Physician & Instructor

Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. --John Adams

Odessaman
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Odessaman » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:55 pm

For muffs, I like Howard Leight Sport Electronic muffs. I've got 3 sets of them, and they do a great job of allowing you to hear range commands and normal conversation, while blocking gunshot noise. They're also relatively slim profile, so they don't interfere with cheekweld on your long guns. They run about $60, but I bought one of mine for $39 on sale from an online vendor, and bought the other two barely used for $30 apiece. Peltor makes a similar style, but pricier, and probably litle difference in performance.

I've also heard good things about the Surefires Dr. John has - need to try some out.
~ Odessaman ~

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
― Mark Twain

studlee

Post by studlee » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:20 pm

I've settled on my set of dbplugz.com. Work great as they are molded to your ear. I can leave them on all day with no discomfort.

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:01 pm

you can get the Peltor tactical ear muffs at Walmart for like $ 59....they are slim and work well, the good muffs are gonna start over $ 200 like Sordin's

and you'll find the electronic a plus for hearing range commands at the matches
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

Dr John Meade
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Dr John Meade » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:19 pm

Rentprop1 wrote:you can get the Peltor tactical ear muffs at Walmart for like $ 59....they are slim and work well, the good muffs are gonna start over $ 200 like Sordin's
I have worn out and gotten rain-ruined Peltors multiple times over the years. I probably paid for a good set of Sordins long before I actually bought them. Now that I have the Sordins, I love them! Water-resistant, tough and well-made.
Rentprop1 wrote:and you'll find the electronic a plus for hearing range commands at the matches
As an instructor, I have considered requiring electronic muffs in classes. It is not only annoying to repeat yourself to a student, it is potentially dangerous if all the students don't hear the instructions properly.
Dr John Meade

Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. --John Adams

cougar_guy04
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by cougar_guy04 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:04 pm

My recommendations:
Passive Plugs: Surefire EP3 or EP4. I keep 2-3 pairs laying around. They work, they're cheap, and they're tossable when they get gunked up from earwax (I clean them, but you can only do that so much).
Muffs: MSA Sordin Supreme Pro-X. Been wearing them for 5 years now and love them (Definitely recommend the gel ear cups). I've currently got a set of over the head type, but I'm looking at getting a pair of the neckband type so I can wear a boonie hat on the range.
Dr John Meade wrote:
Rentprop1 wrote:you can get the Peltor tactical ear muffs at Walmart for like $ 59....they are slim and work well, the good muffs are gonna start over $ 200 like Sordin's
I have worn out and gotten rain-ruined Peltors multiple times over the years. I probably paid for a good set of Sordins long before I actually bought them. Now that I have the Sordins, I love them! Water-resistant, tough and well-made.
Rentprop1 wrote:and you'll find the electronic a plus for hearing range commands at the matches
As an instructor, I have considered requiring electronic muffs in classes. It is not only annoying to repeat yourself to a student, it is potentially dangerous if all the students don't hear the instructions properly.
Agreed 100% (and then some) on the Peltors. My first electronic muffs were Peltor 6S models when I was in Indiana. I learned of their shortcomings only after buying them (Sweat/Rain/Condensation build up on the boards and corrode them). The Peltors went back once for warranty repairs after using them sporadically for 6 months. After the repair, I was judicious about taking off the pads and letting them dry out. With all that extra care, the repaired ears lasted 7 months (2 of those in Florida). I chucked them, bought a set of the aforementioned MSA Sordins from SRS Tactical and haven't looked back.
"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity"

PCJim9mm
Life Member
Life Member

Post by PCJim9mm » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:49 pm

I double up on my ear protection due to tinnitus. I guess all those unknowing years of loud race cars, fireworks, firearms and the rock concerts of the 70's have caught up with me.

I wear a pair of AO Safety ear muffs (~32NRR) over inserted classic earplugs (~30NRR). You don't get 62NRR doubling up like that, only an additional 5 db reduction or so from what I've read. At this point, I am ready to use all the protection I can get.

I'm not totally sold on the electronic muffs, as they still aren't rated as highly as the passive types that I'm using. Or am I not understanding something there?

mercurial

Post by mercurial » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:25 am

I like the Earpros, the 3s fit me better than the 4s. I guess it's the shape and size of your ear.

But I am intrigued by the MSA neckband ones, are they good for glasses wearers? Over the top, even gel ears I find uncomfortable.
These MSAs still have that strap over the head, but I like that the bulk is behind the head instead.

mercurial

jazzmanDK
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jazzmanDK » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:51 am

I have profound hearing loss that is partially helped with hearing aids. I've been told by my audiologist to remove the hearing aids before I put on the ear muffs. That's fine...but I do need to hear range commands. Where am I likely to find reasonably good electronic earmuffs for $100 or less in the Tampa Bay area? Thanks in advance for your input....

Zip
We don't stop playing because we've gotten old, we get old because we stopped playing....

Dr John Meade
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Dr John Meade » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:48 am

jazzmanDK wrote:I have profound hearing loss that is partially helped with hearing aids. I've been told by my audiologist to remove the hearing aids before I put on the ear muffs. That's fine...but I do need to hear range commands. Where am I likely to find reasonably good electronic earmuffs for $100 or less in the Tampa Bay area? Thanks in advance for your input....

Zip
"Reasonably good electronic muffs" and "cheap" are mutually exclusive concepts.
Dr John Meade

mjmensale
Life Member
Life Member

Post by mjmensale » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:03 am

Dr John Meade wrote:
jazzmanDK wrote:I have profound hearing loss that is partially helped with hearing aids. I've been told by my audiologist to remove the hearing aids before I put on the ear muffs. That's fine...but I do need to hear range commands. Where am I likely to find reasonably good electronic earmuffs for $100 or less in the Tampa Bay area? Thanks in advance for your input....

Zip
This! I bought 2 pair of Sordin Supreme Pro's years ago for $240 each and haven't regretted it once.
America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. Claire Wolfe

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. John Steinbeck

If you try to take our firearms, we will kill you. Mike Vanderboegh

jazzmanDK
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jazzmanDK » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:59 pm

Guess I'll have to play a few more crap gigs so I can afford 'em. meantime the peltors do the job, barely. When I think of the thousands of rounds I fired back in 1954-57 with no thought to hearing damage......

Zip
We don't stop playing because we've gotten old, we get old because we stopped playing....

NonConformist
Life Member
Life Member

Post by NonConformist » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:39 pm

I prefer electronic one now, especially from Peltor, but my Howard Leights do fine
"Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by their love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap or easy conquest." -From the Declaration of the Continental Congress, July 1775.

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry" -Thomas Jefferson

neverenoughguns
Contributor
Contributor

Post by neverenoughguns » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:19 pm

mjmensale wrote:
Dr John Meade wrote:

Zip
This! I bought 2 pair of Sordin Supreme Pro's years ago for $240 each and haven't regretted it once.

Sordins were my Christmas present to myself this year.

NonConformist
Life Member
Life Member

Post by NonConformist » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:42 pm

neverenoughguns wrote:
mjmensale wrote:
Dr John Meade wrote:

Zip

Sordins were my Christmas present to myself this year.
I bought some Howard Leights a year ago, havnt regretted it either. Perspective eh! That said one day Ill get a pair of Sordins or Peltors again, my last ones weren't really mine
"Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by their love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap or easy conquest." -From the Declaration of the Continental Congress, July 1775.

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry" -Thomas Jefferson