rail on a 336 receiver..gun hardware? wtf...need screws

Lever guns, hunting guns, black powder, plinkers, rifle scopes, spotting scopes, night vision, sling shots, bows 'n arrows, knives and anything else that doesn't fit anywhere else!
dieselbeef
Life Member
Life Member

rail on a 336 receiver..gun hardware? wtf...need screws

Post by dieselbeef » Sat May 04, 2013 8:27 pm

so im putting together a 3030 336 for a ranch weapon. mt'd a flashlight...werkin on the action...bah bah..etc

heres my snag tho...i got a picatinnny..weaver ..whatever mt for the top of the receiver. i bought it off ebay and the mt itself is decent for 8 bucks...
i wanted the egw or the grizzley setup but naturally theyre out of stock,,,

so herein lies the problem. the screws that come with it are too long. they get tight in the btm of the hole like its not threaded far enough. the holes go all the way thru but they wont screw all the way thru. and on top of all that they are just too long. when they get tightened up they jam the action cuz they go thru too far.

so wtf is the deal with gun screws..are they some kind of special thread..cuz they aint metric and they ain standard..

and i need some .050 shorter than the ones that came with it. i tried to modify 2 of them but it is just a pita since there so small..i need the right ones...

good local shop to get the right screws...going to jm gun repair since theyre real close unless ya got someone is sarasota is better.
im the other gary...

"The right and the decision to carry a weapon for your own defense is a horrible blessing".

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein

George W
Life Member
Life Member

Re: rail on a 336 receiver..gun hardware? wtf...need screws

Post by George W » Sat May 04, 2013 8:40 pm

Yep. Guns, especially scope mounts, sights, etc use some very unique threads. I have an assortment I bought from Brownells just for this very reason. I quick stop at your local 'smith is most likely required unless you know what size you need.
Half of my resolutions to problems come with a cold sweat somewhere around 2 am.

poloboy821
Life Member
Life Member

Post by poloboy821 » Sat May 04, 2013 10:00 pm

Pm sent [smilie=011.gif]
Why do people say " Grow Some Balls" ? Balls are weak and sensitive! If you really wanna get tough, grow a vagina, those things take a pounding! - Betty White
^^my sig was stolen by Erik and then claimed to be his first^^

Erik smells funny!!!!

dieselbeef
Life Member
Life Member

Post by dieselbeef » Sun May 05, 2013 6:01 am

George W wrote:Yep. Guns, especially scope mounts, sights, etc use some very unique threads. I have an assortment I bought from Brownells just for this very reason. I quick stop at your local 'smith is most likely required unless you know what size you need.
no idea..but i brought them with me. what a pita to mt a red dot..i tried to mod a cpl but didnt like how they screwed in. hardly any threads anyways since the top on the receiver is so thin.
learning as i go...

got some guys helping me out. maybe i can get it on there today yet
\

gary
im the other gary...

"The right and the decision to carry a weapon for your own defense is a horrible blessing".

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein

JoeCWales
Life Member
Life Member

Post by JoeCWales » Sun May 05, 2013 6:04 am

Don't forget the Loctite.

JoeC
"Freedom is only for those with the guts to defend it."

dieselbeef
Life Member
Life Member

Post by dieselbeef » Sun May 05, 2013 9:48 am

yep, the blue stuff. i use loctite on everything seeing as ive got 4 dirtbikes...

all this grief over .050...geez
im the other gary...

einstein

JoeCWales
Life Member
Life Member

Post by JoeCWales » Sun May 05, 2013 9:53 am

Can't just file off .050?
If you are near Crowder's at LWR and SR70 they have just about everything you could need in the way of fasteners.

JoeC

dieselbeef
Life Member
Life Member

Post by dieselbeef » Sun May 05, 2013 9:57 am

i tried to sand it off but the threads dont feel good going in

they have gun fasteners at crowders? cuz these arent standard or metric thread
im the other gary...

einstein

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Sun May 05, 2013 10:17 am

They are probably 6/48 or could possibly be 8/32.....
Got any more info in the size versus how much you need to cut off ?? I have a bunch at home, but I'm out of town right now
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

JoeCWales
Life Member
Life Member

Post by JoeCWales » Sun May 05, 2013 10:39 am

dieselbeef wrote:i tried to sand it off but the threads dont feel good going in

they have gun fasteners at crowders? cuz these arent standard or metric thread
The Crowders I use most is on Manatee W. They have EVERYTHING.
Never once have I stumped them on a fastener, gun related or otherwise.
I even carried a rifle in there once to test fit a screw.
(Yes Rent, test fit a "screw", right there in aisle 14.)

JoeC

dieselbeef
Life Member
Life Member

Post by dieselbeef » Sun May 05, 2013 11:46 am

no ive got samples tho. they dont seem like standard thread to me. ive got fasteners like crazy here at werk and im not sure of the size..but ill get to it before i go hone...maybe ill get lucky

i was wondering if theywere a special gun only kinda thread size or pitch..if yall say theyre standard then ill get a tap and see. they might be once im done anyways [smilie=012.gif]
im the other gary...

einstein

dieselbeef
Life Member
Life Member

Post by dieselbeef » Sun May 05, 2013 1:13 pm

well..either the bolt aint the right thread or .....it doesnt fit our thread guages here. it seems like it has a 8x? 32 isnt fine enough and 40 looks too fine
ill try crowders tho...if not i got some washers to put under the mt..but i really didnt wanna do it this way. im afraid that if i tighten it too much and break the screw or strip the hole because the sizes aint right im really gonna have a problem. it seems like it starts in but doesnt go in far enough. as tho it btms out but the hole has no btm..so i say the pitch is wrong...
im the other gary...

einstein

czharry
Life Member
Life Member

Post by czharry » Sun May 05, 2013 2:43 pm

Just for the heck of it, I did a Bing. Here's the easiest answer.
What size screw fits in a rifle scope mount hole?

Answer:
The industry standard for scope mounts is the 6-48 screw. This is an oddball size due to the fact that it is only used for that application. Brownells is one source for such screws and related tooling. Larger magnum builders have opted for the 8-40 size, however, to stand up better to the rigors of the magnum recoil.
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_size_scr ... mount_hole
There's a storm coming.

g.willikers
Life Member
Life Member

Post by g.willikers » Sun May 05, 2013 2:47 pm

You can successfully shorten the screw you have, if you can find a nut of the same thread pitch.
Run the nut up past where it needs to be shortened.
Shorten the screws on a good grinder.
Then back the nut off to fix the threads that are messed up.
Usually works like a charm.
If all else fails, you can always retap the hole for another thread pitch.
"Don't take life so serious, son, it ain't nohow permanent."

dieselbeef
Life Member
Life Member

Post by dieselbeef » Sun May 05, 2013 6:36 pm

knowin the size helps alot thanks...crowders wasnt any help.
my buddy does alot of long range stuff( out of my league) said order em from brownells or midway..buy the large ass't box of screws..''youll need em anyways'' he said.
so only to make time move faster im gong to go by the gunshop tues if poloboy cant help me out :-k
how bad can j/m be for 4 screws.
btw does anyone know who the gunsmith in parrish is...new signs everywhere but he doesnt have a phone number so i aint driving all over parrish looking for the address..
geez...what a pita just to mt a reddot
im the other gary...

einstein

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Sun May 05, 2013 11:36 pm

you can always screw it in place long enough to have someone TIG weld it and then remove the screws altogether .....hell its probably all scratched to hell and back now with all your thread guessing [smilie=011.gif]
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

dieselbeef
Life Member
Life Member

Post by dieselbeef » Mon May 06, 2013 7:37 am

Rentprop1 wrote:you can always screw it in place long enough to have someone TIG weld it and then remove the screws altogether .....hell its probably all scratched to hell and back now with all your thread guessing [smilie=011.gif]
hahahahahaa...doosh....i tig weld..but alum and steel wont weld together..duh ](*,)

when you gonna be around?
im the other gary...

einstein

g.willikers
Life Member
Life Member

Post by g.willikers » Mon May 06, 2013 11:27 am

Hose clamps??
"Don't take life so serious, son, it ain't nohow permanent."

dieselbeef
Life Member
Life Member

Post by dieselbeef » Mon May 06, 2013 11:34 am

i tried zip ties but whenever i threw the gun in the back of the truck i lost the alignment..took forever to figure that out...i missed the nieghbors dog twice
im the other gary...

einstein

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Mon May 06, 2013 12:09 pm

dieselbeef wrote:
hahahahahaa...doosh....i tig weld..but alum and steel wont weld together..duh ](*,)
first its douche :ham'r [smilie=011.gif]

you may need to purchase a steel rail and do it the right way and not redneck engineer it [-(