Outstanding info regarding flying with firearms.

Official web sites and other useful information.
Onree
Life Member
Life Member

Outstanding info regarding flying with firearms.

Post by Onree » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:47 am

50 minute video:
Deviant Ollam - Packing & The Friendly Skies
(Note: NSFW due to some adult language by the speaker)
http://www.vimeo.com/3923535" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Detailed information in print regarding flying with firearms.
http://deviating.net/firearms/packing/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There is an undeniable cultural difference. It's the difference in the mindset of those who believe they are owed a living, and those who believe success is the result of hard work.

nickthefish

Re: Outstanding info regarding flying with firearms.

Post by nickthefish » Mon May 14, 2012 9:18 am

THANKS FOR THE INFO! I USED IT TO FLY WITH MY NEW M&P40 THE WIFEY GOT ME FOR OUR 20TH ANNIVERSARY! :ber

YES I HAVE THE BEST WIFE IN THE WORLD!

WE FLEW DELTA AND AMERICAN AND THEY WERE VERY ACCOMODATING! NO PROBLEMS WHATSOEVER!
"Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn’t so."..Reagan

IMAGINE! :-) A world WITHOUT LIBERALS :-)

"If at first you don't Secede! Try! Try! Again!" ..Mike Church

Onree
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Onree » Sat May 26, 2012 9:10 am

Great to hear the info was useful and you got no hassle! What locations did you fly in/out of and with which carries? We found that American out of DFW was the worse. American out of Tampa was by far the best.

Now, unless your wife was flying with her own carry, she still has a ways to go before she can be in the running for the BWitW title. Just saying... :ber
There is an undeniable cultural difference. It's the difference in the mindset of those who believe they are owed a living, and those who believe success is the result of hard work.

305tillimoved
Life Member
Life Member

Post by 305tillimoved » Sat May 26, 2012 10:53 am

Been flying to and from FLL to PHL with my toys. Never a serious hassle. Leave 10-15mins extra time depending on the screening used at your airport. Keep TSA and airline regs in case you get the one know it all.

Make sure you lock the outside of your suitcase with a NON TSA LOCK; since you have a firearm inside, you are allowed to do so. NOBODY but you should have access to the contents of the suitcase once their is a firearm inside of it. I keep everything unlocked and ready to go and after I declare all my firearms, I lock it all up. Saves time ffrom unlocking/relocking.
"[A]nyone who was not a liberal at 20 years of age had no heart, while anyone who was still a liberal at 40 had no head."
~ Winston S. Churchill

Dr John Meade
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Dr John Meade » Sat May 26, 2012 11:50 am

305tillimoved wrote:Make sure you lock the outside of your suitcase with a NON TSA LOCK; since you have a firearm inside, you are allowed to do so. NOBODY but you should have access to the contents of the suitcase once their is a firearm inside of it.
That is true only if you use a hard-sided suitcase as the gun case itself. If you do like most of us, however, and put a pistol case (Pelican or similar) inside a soft-sided regular suitcase, you should put the non-TSA padlock on the Pelican, and a regular TSA lock on the outside suitcase.

I agree with you about not bothering to lock things up until after you do the declaration at check-in. It would be silly to do otherwise.
Dr John Meade
Emergency/Tactical Physician & Instructor

Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. --John Adams

305tillimoved
Life Member
Life Member

Post by 305tillimoved » Sat May 26, 2012 12:44 pm

bama wrote:
305tillimoved wrote:Make sure you lock the outside of your suitcase with a NON TSA LOCK; since you have a firearm inside, you are allowed to do so. NOBODY but you should have access to the contents of the suitcase once their is a firearm inside of it.
That is true only if you use a hard-sided suitcase as the gun case itself. If you do like most of us, however, and put a pistol case (Pelican or similar) inside a soft-sided regular suitcase, you should put the non-TSA padlock on the Pelican, and a regular TSA lock on the outside suitcase.

I agree with you about not bothering to lock things up until after you do the declaration at check-in. It would be silly to do otherwise.

Yup, first tme traveling wth the toys i locked everything up. Held up the line for a bit fumbling through the keys and what not. Lesson learned the hard way.

Also, (not you specifically bama) dont think that a cable lock securing the case into the inside of the suitcase will do anything to deter a thief. Cables can be manipulated to remove the firearm from the case pretty easily if theres some slack and a good yank can destroy some suitcases inners.
"[A]nyone who was not a liberal at 20 years of age had no heart, while anyone who was still a liberal at 40 had no head."
~ Winston S. Churchill