Gun cleaning and oiling

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
45caldan

Gun cleaning and oiling

Post by 45caldan »

Good video here.

Most shooters think they know how to clean their guns but really few do.
I have told people you can over clean a gun and they look at me like I've got two heads.
He didn't mention to be careful cleaning the bore and always clean from the breech end (another good thing about bore snakes and revolvers).
Constantly detail stripping to get it squeaky clean accelerates wear on parts such as pins, frame holes, etc.
photohause

Post by photohause »

Thumbs up!
“You didn’t finish school, did you?
BerettaRacer

Post by BerettaRacer »

Ernie Langdon is a really good guy. He used to be head of Beretta Shooting Team and developed some of their comp guns. Then he had a hand in developing the M&P series of guns. He's tuned some of my competition Beretta's back when I was shooting USPSA a lot.

One of his older articles:
http://pistol-training.com/articles/fea ... ction-shot
I'll tell you what rule we applied sir.
We applied rule 303.
We caught them and we shot them under rule 303!

Harry "Breaker" Morant
45caldan

Post by 45caldan »

BerettaRacer wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 9:17 am Ernie Langdon is a really good guy. He used to be head of Beretta Shooting Team and developed some of their comp guns. Then he had a hand in developing the M&P series of guns. He's tuned some of my competition Beretta's back when I was shooting USPSA a lot.

One of his older articles:
http://pistol-training.com/articles/fea ... ction-shot
Unlike so many youtubers that are out there talking guns, this guy knows his stuff!
lakelandman

Post by lakelandman »

Langdon Beretta LTT is a sweet gun to shoot too.
Everybody's got a plan until they get hit.
Flame Red

Post by Flame Red »

Ok, I admit that I am anal and like to clean them. And I have been accused of over oiling them too! But now I am lazy and just generally do a field strip and then the barrel. Periodically I do a full tear down, but not often.

But my BIL who used to clean like me after each range session got infected by a friend of his that turned him into a Glocker and convenienced him to NEVER clean them. Says they just run better if they are never cleaned! :roll:
Ah that's one thing about our Flame, doesn't play any favorites! Flame hates everybody!
Chinerd00

Post by Chinerd00 »

I don't over lube or clean but I do more of a complete inspection and little lube.
Firemedic2000

Post by Firemedic2000 »

WHAT!!!....we have to clean guns :shock: I thought with them being built out of all these space age materials. We would never have to clean guns anymore. No wonder mine do not function right anymore :lol: joking

Great video. Thank you. You can clean from bore end if you've got a guide. For instance some .22 cal and you want to use a rod instead of a snake.

Cleaning though is a thought process to me. But one thing is correct. You can over clean a weapon.

My BIL may his ignorant and mean soul rest in peace. Would take a perfectly fine great shooting rifle. That shot sub moa and continuously lapped the barrel using abrasive compounds and even those coated bullets.

Because he heard so and so friend say this or that :roll: and you could not tell him anything or at least I couldn't. Long story on that remark.

When I use to shoot bench rest at Manatee Gun Club. Before they basically turned into a black rifle hating gentleman's club and a bunch of other crap. I'd see some of those shooters. Clean their barrels every 10 shots or so. Then fire fouling shots. :lol: no wonder they wore their barrels out so often. :lol:

But to me just clean the weapon. I do not clean the weapon after shooting everytime. I'll just do a quick wipe down inside and out.
Except if I'm shooting suppressed. After working on my MPX and stopping the misfeeds every other shot. I wanted to see how many times I could shoot it suppressed before I had a malfunction.

I got up to 2500 rds before giving up. Never oiled it either. But what a damn mess it was in. You each know the capability of your weapons or should and have an idea of a cleaning routine based upon it's function from your experience. Other than oiling I'm not cleaning after shooting everytime.

Army is stupid about cleaning weapons. I remember as I'm sure alot of other do here. When you were a E-1,2,3 of idoit NCOs sticking their pinky inside your weapons to see if anything black came out after cleaning. Then them saying clean it again. :roll:
Last edited by Firemedic2000 on Thu May 07, 2020 12:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RANGER AIRBORNE, BLACK TEAM, FIREMEDIC, NRA BENEFACTOR
In the Government's/Elitist eye's I'm a Terrorist for believing in the Constitution and taking an oath to defend it instead of POLITICAL LEADERS
p7fl

Post by p7fl »

BerettaRacer wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 9:17 am s back when I was shooting
Then they invented the minie ball and smokeless powder :mrgreen:
Firemedic2000

Post by Firemedic2000 »

p7fl wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 12:31 pm
BerettaRacer wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 9:17 am s back when I was shooting
Then they invented the minie ball and smokeless powder :mrgreen:
:lol: bam!
RANGER AIRBORNE, BLACK TEAM, FIREMEDIC, NRA BENEFACTOR
In the Government's/Elitist eye's I'm a Terrorist for believing in the Constitution and taking an oath to defend it instead of POLITICAL LEADERS