Resizing 243 projectiles to .224

Everything ammunition! What to use, where to get it, surplus ammo headstamps, the science of reloading and more.
george_995
Life Member
Life Member

Resizing 243 projectiles to .224

Post by george_995 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:47 pm

I've done my fair share of google searches with no luck.

I have a bunch of .243 projectiles(95grain and up) that I was looking to size down to .224 with a sizing die for cast boolits. My idea is to use heavier grain projectiles for subsonic loads for 5.56.
The difference between the two diameters is 0.019".
What's your opinions? Should I buy the sizing die and go for it?

Link for intended sizing die.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/24286 ... ng-die-kit#
Ni he la na gaofar la na scoilb.

The thing about Smart mother f***ers is that sometimes, they sound like Crazy mother f***ers to Stupid mother f***ers ....

Gregg

Re: Resizing 243 projectiles to .224

Post by Gregg » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:28 am

If they are lead core, it could be done, remember to use plenty of sizing lube when doing so.

But .019 is too much of a diameter reduction to be made in one pass through a die, with a jacketed bullet.
You will have to find an intermediate size die to run them through first.

If you can not find a sizer die in about .235, you could but two if the .224 dies, and slightly open one dies up using emery cloth.

Gregg

george_995
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Resizing 243 projectiles to .224

Post by george_995 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:29 pm

Yes my thoughts were the same for the lead core, the first batch are 95grain spire point by hornady.

Thank you for the idea of two dies, one being resized to say 0.235" or so, I didn't think of that. I knew the one die at .224 would be somewhat of a bitch.

I was watching videos from a machinists whom made his own die out of a grade 8 bolt, was pretty awesome and cheap on his end. Being that he already had access to lathe and milling machine.

Merry christmas. [smilie=cheers1.gif]
Ni he la na gaofar la na scoilb.

The thing about Smart mother f***ers is that sometimes, they sound like Crazy mother f***ers to Stupid mother f***ers ....