RCBS hand primer?

Everything ammunition! What to use, where to get it, surplus ammo headstamps, the science of reloading and more.
Lilwoody
Life Member
Life Member

RCBS hand primer?

Post by Lilwoody » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:17 pm

Does anyone have any experience with these. I have a very old one that works great and a new one I want to use for target practice. The old one I got in a trade but it is only for large primers and knocks out 44's, 45's and 308 in very short order. The new one I got for small and to say it's problematic is a under statement. I have deprimed the shells that it has partially seated the primers in and used my Lee auto primer on them and they slip in like they have eyes. At first I thought I hadn't reamed the crimps out of the pick ups I was using but as I said the prime fine on the bench. What am I doing wrong or is this thing a reengineered piece of junk.

gforester
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: RCBS hand primer?

Post by gforester » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:21 pm

Which one do you have? I have an older RCBS that requires you use the correct shell holder and either a large or small primer plug and it works pretty well, much easier on my hands than the Lee which I hated. I also have the RCBS bench primer which can be a PITA at times. I recently picked up the new design universal hand primer that doesn't require a shell holder and it works fantastic. I use it for any pistol calibers I don't have the conversion kit for the Dillon and all my rifle brass except for 223/556. The universal is on sale now at Midway.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/319794 ... iming-tool