square deal owners near me ??

Everything ammunition! What to use, where to get it, surplus ammo headstamps, the science of reloading and more.
Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

square deal owners near me ??

Post by Rentprop1 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:52 pm

Ive got a problem child square deal in 45 acp, Ive had several Dillon presses over the years but the SD is foreign to me.

its been back to Dillon TWICE for popping primers, swapped brands of primers still does it, I figured something isn't set up correctly, but figured after the second time it came back from Dillon it would be right

just wondered if someone who had a square deal and is pretty familiar with it can lend me a hand, you would need to come by and look at it no sense in trying to diagnose it with words, something isn't right
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

gforester
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: square deal owners near me ??

Post by gforester » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:29 am

Rentprop1 wrote:its been back to Dillon TWICE for popping primers, swapped brands of primers still does it...
If you mean that it is igniting the primers then I have only one suggestion. Don't seat them so f'ing hard. I have had two SDB's and have never had an issue like that, nor on any of my 650's either. BTW, you do separate the small primer pocket brass from the large pocket brass right?

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:51 pm

yeah its all large primer stuff, I think the case isn't lining up properly, you'd think Dillon would have fixed it, I'm gonna try and film it tonight, doesn't do it all the time but 1 or 2 out of 50, its enough to almost stop your heart each time one goes off, I'm loading with a full clear face shield, and that sh!t just ain't right [-(
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

gforester
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by gforester » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:45 pm

You might try removing your alignment pins, removing the shell plate and do a good job of cleaning everything under the shell plate. If dirt, grit or powder residue builds up it might prevent things from indexing correctly. After cleaning, run the ram up and down a few times to see how smoothly it operates before starting to reload again.

g.willikers
Life Member
Life Member

Post by g.willikers » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:29 am

How old is this press?
The culprit might be the pawl(?) that advances the shell plate.
The earlier ones were made of plastic and aluminum.
The shell plate wouldn't turn quite far enough causing the primers to catch on the plate if the nose of it wore down.
Later ones were made of sterner stuff.
Unfortunately, this pawl is about the last thing to come out, requiring a complete disassembly to replace.
Also check the primer delivery adjustment.
That would be an easier fix.
The owners manual shows how.
If you don't have the manual, it's available on Dillon's web site.
Hope this helps.
"Don't take life so serious, son, it ain't nohow permanent."

rug357

Post by rug357 » Mon May 01, 2017 10:13 am

I have been loading ammo using SDB since 1991 and I've had this same problem on my 45ACP set up and 44Mag set up...never with 9mm or 38 special. I'm not sure why it happens but when it does I just disassemble the entire lower section/primer set up and clean it up. Once it's reassembled it does not happen for many years.
Fools learn from experience, intellegent person learns from experience of others.
She may not be of my flesh and blood but she is of my heart and soul.

DaveM
Life Member
Life Member

Post by DaveM » Tue May 02, 2017 7:05 am

Make sure the shell plate has fully advanced. If you notice it needs manual adjustment, contact Dillon one more time.

I've got over 40,000 through my SDB without incident. I reload .45, 9mm, .38 and .40SW. A primer going off would make me [smilie=042.gif] s';t my pants.