Propellant in HXP M2 ball - basicly IMR 4895?

Everything ammunition! What to use, where to get it, surplus ammo headstamps, the science of reloading and more.
tomcat522

Propellant in HXP M2 ball - basicly IMR 4895?

Post by tomcat522 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:02 pm

"IMR 4895 - Originally a military powder featured in the 30-06"

I have some damaged HXP Greek CMP rounds - is the propellant basicly IMR 4895 and useful for reloading?
Μολὼν λαβέ

Guilty until proven Guilty

_: M2, 223/5.56/300, 54r,39, 9mm,MAK, 12ga

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Propellant in HXP M2 ball - basicly IMR 4895?

Post by Rentprop1 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:08 pm

Just because ita look and weigh the same it's all about the burn rate and the pressure produced.

Sorry but that's all I have...if guessing which commercial powders were replacements for military ones we would see a lot more on it .....I know there are manufacturer and dealer only powers that are sold for manufacturer's who reload that are close but no comparison to Comercial powder.
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

IDPAMASTER
Life Member
Life Member

Post by IDPAMASTER » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:54 pm

4895 is one of my go to powders for several rifles. But....it's not what you have in the HXP. While it is similar in my experience to canister H380,you should never assume. There really isn't a "basically" when it comes to surplus powder due to the nature of their requirements.

I've never found CMP HXP ammo reliably repeatable myself but rather just something to send down range...and a little hotter than LC through a chrony.

I'd toss the powder. You can salvage everything else if you wanted to. Work up a load with 4895 with projo seated the same OAL measuring from base to ogive. Many recipes available.
Well then get your s';t together.
Get it all together. And put it in a backpack. All your s';t. So it’s together. And if you gotta take it somewhere, take it somewhere, you know, take it to the s';t store and sell it, or put it in a s';t museum, I don’t care what you do, you just gotta get it together.
Get your s';t together.
- MORTY

Wulfmann
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Wulfmann » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:30 am

One would have to track down the info as it could be a 4895 type but it is also possible it is a 4831 type.
Did the Greeks set up a powder maker or was the powder brought in by the US.

Remember when the Brits could no longer afford to help the Greeks fight off communism the USA stepped in and supplied the Greeks with Garrands in their successful civil war to defeat the reds.

If you have a serious quantity testing to find a sort of burn rate might be worthwhile but if only a small amount using it for nuking large ant colonies might me wiser

/:f
“A government that does not trust it’s law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust.” James Madison

A stovepipe is your rifle flipping you off for using cheap ammo!

Racist Infidel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Racist Infidel » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:37 pm

tomcat522 wrote:"IMR 4895 - Originally a military powder featured in the 30-06"

I have some damaged HXP Greek CMP rounds - is the propellant basicly IMR 4895 and useful for reloading?
IMHO, if you took the powder from one damaged cartridge and put it a good case, one at a time, then "maybe." There would still be different primers from the original loading to consider.

When the ammo manufactures get a new lot of powder, it is tested and the amount of powder per load adjusted up or down to meet the specified speed of the projectile. If you dumped all of the powder from your damaged cartridges into one pot so to speak, how would you know how much powder to weigh out for each charge?

Sprinkle what you have around the lawn. While it may be salvageable, I don't think I'd take the chance.

tomcat522

Post by tomcat522 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:50 pm

Thanks all for the insight and info - will trash it as not worth the problems. Tom #-o
Μολὼν λαβέ

Guilty until proven Guilty

_: M2, 223/5.56/300, 54r,39, 9mm,MAK, 12ga