field reloading

Everything ammunition! What to use, where to get it, surplus ammo headstamps, the science of reloading and more.
NonConformist
Life Member
Life Member

field reloading

Post by NonConformist » Tue May 17, 2016 7:48 pm

Looking at getting into cowboy action shooting. I should buy a .38/357 but I want a .45lc. To save me money I'll reload, but I can't buy a wholes reloading fancy press. Do they still make the old field sets where you can reload one at a time w/ like a 4 or 5 piece iirc set. Used to fit in a possible bag and were like $15
"Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by their love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap or easy conquest." -From the Declaration of the Continental Congress, July 1775.

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry" -Thomas Jefferson

gforester
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: field reloading

Post by gforester » Tue May 17, 2016 9:01 pm

Lee still makes those sets. You might have difficulty finding one as they aren't very popular.

http://leeprecision.com/reloading-kits/ ... er-pistol/

edited to ad link
Last edited by gforester on Tue May 17, 2016 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Odessaman
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Odessaman » Tue May 17, 2016 9:04 pm

They still make Classic Lee Loaders, but not in nearly as many calibers as they used to. Years ago, I understand you could call Lee and if they didn't have a loader for a particular caliber, they'd make one up for you. You can still get most popular calibers for under $30.00.

I found this guy's Youtube channel awhile back - cool ol' geezer that likes to roll his own.

~ Odessaman ~

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
― Mark Twain

stoneknives

Post by stoneknives » Tue May 17, 2016 9:43 pm

Get a Lee turret press kit and a set of Lee 38/357 carbide dies. The kit has most of the basic stuff you'll have to buy anyway at a discount price. Run the press in single stage mode while your learning and getting your process down. The turret press will allow you to just set up your dies once instead of each and every time you reload.

Racist Infidel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Racist Infidel » Tue May 17, 2016 11:02 pm

This may be what you are looking for.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/106448 ... ol-handles

Not cheap and you need to buy dies separate.

I have some of the Lee Loaders. They work.

DaveM
Life Member
Life Member

Post by DaveM » Wed May 18, 2016 9:04 am

Boy, are you lookin' at the wrong sport if you can't afford to buy a decent reloader. That Lee will get old pretty quick.

Racist Infidel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Racist Infidel » Wed May 18, 2016 10:47 am

Dave, I don't know that it's being cheap. I'm not into Cowboy Shooting but can understand the appeal. The Lyman I linked to was used in the field and is just part of the nostalgia.

The line I really love out of the movie "Little Bigman" is "I wasn't playing Indian, I was an Indian."

[smilie=cheers1.gif]

NonConformist
Life Member
Life Member

Post by NonConformist » Wed May 18, 2016 11:15 am

Yeah that's them! Thanks
"Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by their love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap or easy conquest." -From the Declaration of the Continental Congress, July 1775.

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry" -Thomas Jefferson

NonConformist
Life Member
Life Member

Post by NonConformist » Wed May 18, 2016 11:17 am

Odessaman wrote:They still make Classic Lee Loaders, but not in nearly as many calibers as they used to. Years ago, I understand you could call Lee and if they didn't have a loader for a particular caliber, they'd make one up for you. You can still get most popular calibers for under $30.00.

I found this guy's Youtube channel awhile back - cool ol' geezer that likes to roll his own.

Didn't display for me, but I see the URL code so I'll check him out!

Doyle
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Doyle » Wed May 18, 2016 4:16 pm

Forget the old whack-a-mole Lee loader. The better option is the Lee hand press. It can do everything a normal press can do - even resize rifle brass. It just does it slower. I've got a large toolbox that holds my Lee hand press, dies, Lee hand primer, RCBS balance beam scale, calipers, etc. with room to spare.