Figured out name brand sonic cleaning solution at 1/4 the price.

Everything ammunition! What to use, where to get it, surplus ammo headstamps, the science of reloading and more.
Lilwoody
Life Member
Life Member

Figured out name brand sonic cleaning solution at 1/4 the price.

Post by Lilwoody » Tue May 10, 2016 4:45 pm

I've been using sonic cleaners since I started reloading and started with a pair of Harbor Freight jewelry cleaners using a recipe of vinegar, salt and dish soap from the net. I went to the Hornady cleaner and started using their 20 $ a quart "special" solution. It worked well but I couldn't help but notice it's main ingredient was citric acid. After many tests I have found a recipe that works better than the Hornady. 1/4 cup table salt dissolved in 1/4 cup 50% citric acid and then add 1/4 cup Dawn dish soap, the blue kind. Finish the slurry with another 20 ounces of 50% citric acid. I use 3/4 ounce to 24 ounces of distilled water for a hopper full of 223 (205 rounds, arranged exactly the same way). Here are side by side comparisons of shells picked the same day in the same condition. Everyone who has looked at then not knowing which was cleaned in which all agreed the home made solution got the shells brighter, the primer pockets and shell interiors looked better. See if you can tell which is which and they were just random hand full's out of 2 separate boxes, no cheery picking.
Disclaimer, I don't care if the brass looks like new, never have, never will. If it's clean, goes pow when the trigger is pulled and is minute of deer out to it's caliber restricted range, I'm a happy man.