Tarnished Range brass cleaning question

Everything ammunition! What to use, where to get it, surplus ammo headstamps, the science of reloading and more.
deathpriest
Contributor
Contributor

Tarnished Range brass cleaning question

Post by deathpriest » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:28 am

I am finally getting into this. Got an RCBS 2000, components and manual. I figured I would start cleaning some brass while reading manuals....

I am using walnut media.. I tossed some brass and media into my Lyman and it came out clean and shiny but still tarnished. I read it is OK to reload but, I would like to get it untarnished. I might get a wet tumbler in the future but, I don't have one on hand.

1- What you experienced reloader would use to clean?
2- what ratio of brass vs media you guys use?
Blessings,
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
**Infidel**

Dr. Dickie
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Tarnished Range brass cleaning question

Post by Dr. Dickie » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:38 am

deathpriest wrote:I am finally getting into this. Got an RCBS 2000, components and manual. I figured I would start cleaning some brass while reading manuals....

I am using walnut media.. I tossed some brass and media into my Lyman and it came out clean and shiny but still tarnished. I read it is OK to reload but, I would like to get it untarnished. I might get a wet tumbler in the future but, I don't have one on hand.

1- What you experienced reloader would use to clean?
2- what ratio of brass vs media you guys use?
Yeah, mine always has a dull, matte look, not bright and shiny. No big deal (I used walnut and corn mix). You can add some brass cleaner, but really it is just a waste of time.
I just fill the tumbler about 3/4 and dump whatever bass I have into it.
ONE BIG HINT, do not mix .45 with anything .9mm (all the .9mms, .38/.375, or .380), the 9mm will crawl into the .45 and get jammed in there.
Also, if you don't shoot .40, and do shoot .45 you will learn to hate the .40 shooters, but you should quickly be able to tell the difference without bending over-just don't let anyone else collect brass for you, as they will never learn the difference.
Repeal the 17th Amendment, let’s put America back to the Republic the founding fathers intended!

deathpriest
Contributor
Contributor

Post by deathpriest » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:44 am

I hear you, sorting is a pain... I collect all I shoot and sort it before tumbling, it was a pain. I still would like to get the tarnished, blackish, off the brass.
Blessings,
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
**Infidel**

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:37 am

Dr. Dickie wrote: Also, if you don't shoot .40, and do shoot .45 you will learn to hate the .40 shooters, but you should quickly be able to tell the difference without bending over-just don't let anyone else collect brass for you, as they will never learn the difference.
just like 9mm shooter hates those 380 guys
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

Racist Infidel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Racist Infidel » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:52 pm

I deprime then tumble in either corn cob or walnut. Takes several hours but the cases come out with a bright mat finish.

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:20 pm

anyone ever try that Colonel Brassy ??

they sell it on Amazon , its like $ 20 when you find it at swap shops and flea markets , but a couple of oz added to the media and its cheaper than the Dillon case polish
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

Dr. Dickie
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Dr. Dickie » Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:47 am

Rentprop1 wrote:
Dr. Dickie wrote: Also, if you don't shoot .40, and do shoot .45 you will learn to hate the .40 shooters, but you should quickly be able to tell the difference without bending over-just don't let anyone else collect brass for you, as they will never learn the difference.
just like 9mm shooter hates those 380 guys
I actually have no problem with that. I can pick out the 380 from the 9mm when I am sorting out the cleaned brass. I have only once ever had a 380 case in in with the 9mm when reloading, and it was no big deal as you could tell when trying to size the brass that it wasn't the same. I have gotten to where I can tell the difference between 40 and 45 from a standing position. The biggest pain was, I swear all the folks that were shooting 40 NEVER picked up their brass, it was everywhere. Seems to have quieted down these days. Oh and I am like a little girl when I find 10mm [smilie=pdt_xtremez_13.gif] stuff is like hens teeth.
Repeal the 17th Amendment, let’s put America back to the Republic the founding fathers intended!

butcharoot
Contributor
Contributor

Post by butcharoot » Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:54 am

Google cleaning brass with lemon juice.

bmup
Life Member
Life Member

Post by bmup » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:45 am

I was about to go into a long winded explanation on how to set up & wet tumble brass on the cheap but I found this vid to give you a good basic idea: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNGwC9Fw9Z4

Notes on the vid - he uses way too much Lemmi-Shine which is why he gets orange or pink stained brass. Use about 1/2 a 9mm case of it per lb of brass. Also, I just dump all my cases on a towel & let them dry over night.

http://www.harborfreight.com/dual-drum- ... 67632.html
http://www.amazon.com/Pellets-LLC-Stain ... B009NK85YG
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Lemi-Shine-Su ... z/15724190

This really works well but if you want to clean more than 2 lbs of brass at a time you will need a bigger tumbler like the Thumler http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_fb ... ting%2C164
Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power.
-- Yoshimi Ishikawa, Japanese author, in the LA Times 15 Oct 1992