Target Sport USA - buyer beware

Everything ammunition! What to use, where to get it, surplus ammo headstamps, the science of reloading and more.
Deputydave

Target Sport USA - buyer beware

Post by Deputydave » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:29 pm

I wanted to pass on my experience with Target Sport USA.

As some here that know me, I'm an agency instructor and I also teach private citizens (I'm very big on law abiding private citizens having their CCW and exercising their 2nd Amendment rights). As such I have periods where I use a good bit of ammunition. Normally I just run down to Walmart because I have four of them within a 15 minute drive and honestly their prices are often hard to beat. However, I get emails from companies like CTD, CDNN, Target Sport USA etc. Target Sport USA emailed a deal on some ammo that I use for training and the price was just a tad lower than Walmart. I hadn't ordered from them before so I figured I'd give them a shot. So I ordered 1000 rounds. I was a bit concerned as it was just before the holidays but their website said the ammo was in stock and if you ordered in the next 'X' amount of hours it would ship that day (12/21/15) and it would arrive 12/24/15. Well, I mistakenly figured they knew what they were doing so I ordered, well within the time frame to have it shipped that day. I had tracking through FedEx and paid the extra for insurance. By the expected arrival date FedEx indicated that only a label had been created. I waited until after the weekend as they were closed. Called yesterday (Monday 12/28/15) and the ammo had not even shipped yet. They apologized and stated on the phone that it would be sent that morning. I got off the phone a little miffed too be honest. I had ordered from other companies in the same time frame and had already received the orders.

I emailed them (to have a record of the conversation) to let them know they had an unhappy customer (it was a professionally scripted complaint detailing everything and not just a *****-fest letter). I got a last minute end-of-the-day email from a representative (9 minutes before the company closed) that he would 'check the warehouse'. That's all I heard from him. This morning I checked FedEx and nothing had shipped. I see this as a failure to fulfill their stated obligation by shipping the same day, failure to fulfill their obligation to ship when I called 8 days later and failure to professionally follow up on the situation by their CS. And 9 days later the package is still sitting in their warehouse. I called and cancelled the order completely. From the quickness of the call and the sound of the woman's voice I take it that I'm not the only one that has cancelled an order recently. No 'we're very sorry' or 'what can we do to make this right' or anything of the sort. The whole call lasted less than 30 seconds.

In talking with some folks I know on another forum I came to find out that they've had numerous bad reviews going back years. Cards charged but product never shipped. Bad or no CS resolution. BBB complaints. Credit card disputes etc. And it was at different times of the year so the holidays appear to not be the reason. The other red flag was the website listed 99+ boxes available at the time I ordered. My order was only 20 boxes and I ordered right after they opened. Checking the website now the ammo is suddenly out of stock. So it's possible they were advertising a product they didn't actually have and the 9 day delay was just a delaying tactic. Again, very unprofessional and unacceptable.

I've had great success with other firearm/ammunition companies. Perhaps others have had success with this one but my first (and only) experience with them was less than professional and unacceptable. I will not order from them again.
You don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training.

captain steinbrenner
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Target Sport USA - buyer beware

Post by captain steinbrenner » Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:38 pm

I welcome Target Sport to my s';t list.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Death solves all problems, no man, no problem. Joseph Stalin

jollymon32
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jollymon32 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:41 pm

Wow, complete opposite experience that I had with them. I have been buying from them for the past 5 years, and while shipping is a bit slow (several days), I never ever had a problem with them.

Just recently bought a case of PMC 223.

deathpriest
Contributor
Contributor

Post by deathpriest » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:11 pm

Sorry to hear. My experiemce had been different.

I've ordered 4 times from them. Every time shipped within 3 business days and 3-4 days later arrival. They even ship up to 5 extra boxes of ammo with a bulk free shipping package.
Blessings,
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
**Infidel**

Dr. Dickie
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Dr. Dickie » Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:42 am

Sounds like they were slammed for the holidays (and FBHO's pending EO BS).
Repeal the 17th Amendment, let’s put America back to the Republic the founding fathers intended!

Deputydave

Post by Deputydave » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:47 am

Dr. Dickie wrote:Sounds like they were slammed for the holidays (and FBHO's pending EO BS).
That was something I considered, but looking at reviews reveals that my experience wasn't unique and the time of the year wasn't relevant. And if there was an issue beyond their control they had the opportunity of two phone calls and an email to inform the customer (me). If they had shipped but FedEx was the problem then that is beyond their control and understandable. But they never shipped as promised and 9 days later my package is supposedly still sitting in their warehouse. When I ordered the website stated 99+ boxes available. When I cancelled it was out of stock. So it looks like they didn't actually have the ammo they advertised and there actually was no package to ship. All a delay tactic which in my book is unprofessional. You don't advertise what you don't have and can't ship yet still charge my card the same day as the order is placed.

I gave them a try, they failed multiple times and so they lost a customer. Too many other sources to deal with a company like this one.

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:34 am

Dr. Dickie wrote:Sounds like they were slammed for the holidays (and FBHO's pending EO BS).

Target Sports is a huge company and have been around for a while , sucks you had a bad experience with them but all major Sporting goods wholesalers and parts places now have banners on the sites that claim, please allow an additional 5 or whatever days for order processing, maybe it was just holiday back log, but out of Midway, Numrich, Primary and Centerfire, all of whom I have ordered from this past couple of weeks, only Primary Arms shipped right away as advertised ....Midway was a close 2nd but it didn't leave when it said it did.....Centerfire screwed up the order to my benefit, so I'm not complaining, and I'm still waiting on Numrich.....most of this stuff was all purchased before the 22 nd
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

Deputydave

Post by Deputydave » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:51 am

Rentprop1 wrote:

Target Sports is a huge company and have been around for a while , sucks you had a bad experience with them but all major Sporting goods wholesalers and parts places now have banners on the sites that claim, please allow an additional 5 or whatever days for order processing, maybe it was just holiday back log, but out of Midway, Numrich, Primary and Centerfire, all of whom I have ordered from this past couple of weeks, only Primary Arms shipped right away as advertised ....Midway was a close 2nd but it didn't leave when it said it did.....Centerfire screwed up the order to my benefit, so I'm not complaining, and I'm still waiting on Numrich.....most of this stuff was all purchased before the 22 nd

If they would have had a banner on the website I would have totally understood. Problem was that they didn't. What they did have was a tab that said if I ordered within the next X amount of hours that order would be shipped that day. I ordered right after they opened for business, well within their time frame. It hadn't shipped 9 days later. That's an issue. When I called on day 8 they could have said, "hey, we had a problem and here's what it was...". What they said was that it was shipping that day. It didn't. So I figure I gave them the benefit of 9 days, two phone calls and an email to keep me as a satisfied customer. They failed each and every time. As a result I'll simply take my business elsewhere. In fact, it worked out as I've found a local company I can drive to in about 15 minutes that has the ammo I'm looking for at the same price. I'll give them a try and see how I like it.

gforester
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by gforester » Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:01 pm

Your experience with them sounds very atypical of Target Sports. I have been buying from them for years and have never had a bad experience. Sorry for your misfortune, but they will still get my business.

Deputydave

Post by Deputydave » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:21 pm

I hope they continue to well for you. I'll stick with companies I trust.

P5 guy
Life Member
Life Member

Post by P5 guy » Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:37 am

Year end inventory shut down?
Gotta get the tax info in order for the corporate auditors and such. :-k

Deputydave

Post by Deputydave » Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:37 am

Not judging from the dissatisfied ex-customers I've been talking to on other forums. Apparently this happens regardless of the time of year. And even so, if they were having something like an inventory shut down or some shipping issue they should communicate that to the customer. Particularly when the customer has already been charged for a product/service that you haven't or can't provide. At best they are inconsistent and customer service is crappy.

Deputydave

Post by Deputydave » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:06 pm

Speaking with a guy on GT today, he ordered the same ammo that I had ordered. He ordered 3 days before I did and it still hasn't shipped. He's getting the same 'it will ship today' when he calls that was getting. And it never did ship. Some serious issues going on with this company. He stated that CS got really pissy with him during the call. Again, that's unacceptable.

jollymon32
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jollymon32 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:07 pm

Deputydave wrote: Some serious issues going on with this company. He stated that CS got really pissy with him during the call. Again, that's unacceptable.
Saw the same thing with Dell in the early 90's. They were so slammed with orders, they could not ship as they used to. Bought a boatload of their stock and sold it several years later after quadrupling in price.

Sorry about your experience, they are probably slammed and many others are in your same situation, no doubt the CS people are getting prissy; imagine dealing other pissed off people all day....

Deputydave

Post by Deputydave » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:43 pm

Deal with pissed off people every day [smilie=011.gif]

I'm still required to be a professional though so I wouldn't accept it as an excuse.

quik225

Post by quik225 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:06 pm

I had two orders last year that went smoothly and on time.
I can understand the order delays due to the time of the year and political climate.

Deputydave

Post by Deputydave » Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:54 pm

Can't accept that as the reason in this case though. I've talked with, or read negative reviews dating back several years from folks that experienced the same or similar situation. On a different gun board a lot of folks have come forward with their bad experiences. One ordered the week before I did (same ammo), was told it would ship that day, then told the same thing later and then again and he still hasn't had it shipped. And CS wasn't stellar from his or my experience.

I had to file a CC dispute as they had passed the time to refund the money from my cancelled order. Fortunately the CC stepped in and my funds were returned finally.

I sure that they don't do this for every order, but I've seen it enough and experienced it to completely turn me off from doing business with them. If others order from them I hope it is a smooth transaction and they deliver as promised. I'm not going to give them another opportunity.

CVO
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CVO » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:30 am

I've ordered a lot from Target Sports over the last five years, never had the first problem.
Stop the looting. Start the prosecuting.

Deputydave

Post by Deputydave » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:09 pm

Wish I could say the same. Unfortunately, I can't. Worked out though as I found a local company that supplies a lot of the ranges in this area that had the same thing at a slightly better price.

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:11 pm

I just ordered a bunch of soft rifle cases from target sports last week couldn't beat the price I'll let you know how it turns out or if they stiff me I can keep coming back to this thread and cry about it.
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.