Difference in primers?

Everything ammunition! What to use, where to get it, surplus ammo headstamps, the science of reloading and more.
procrastinator43

Difference in primers?

Post by procrastinator43 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:53 am

Reloading 32-20 rifle.

What will the difference be between Winchester small rifle primers vs small pistol primers?

Beck77

Re: Difference in primers?

Post by Beck77 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:58 am

They are the same size but the rifle primer will usually be harder and often contain more of the priming compound since there is usually more powder in a rifle cartridge. Many competitive pistol shooters use SRP in place of SPP for certain powder combinations. Some factory pistol loads like the 454 Casull use SRP instead of SPP because of the powder volume. I don't know in your 32-20 if you would see a huge difference, I wouldn't load a bunch with SPP without verifying they work OK.

LRP and LPP are the same diameter but the LRP is deeper.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/primers.htm

Wulfmann
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Wulfmann » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:41 am

There can actually a bigger difference in brands of the same size primer than the SP or SR of the same brand.

Check burn rates as it is amazing the variances.

Then some SR makers vary the thickness as in Wolf SR & SRM (same solution but thicker cup) and SRM223 has a hotter solution as well as the thicker cup

I have shot many types of SP in AR15s as a test and never could tell any difference and I have used SR and SRM in 9MM loads and testing next to SP primers all else the same could not detect the slightest difference

The biggest difference is accuracy for match loads, IMO. There a different brand can alter group sizes considerably

/:f
“A government that does not trust it’s law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust.” James Madison

A stovepipe is your rifle flipping you off for using cheap ammo!

procrastinator43

Post by procrastinator43 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:40 pm

Thank you for the responses.

When I get some lead bullets from Buffalo Arms, I will do some testing.